OK you techno nuts... GPS questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default OK you techno nuts... GPS questions

I'm picking up a really inexpensive netbook with the single goal of using it for my USB GPS receiver. And the price, well, heres the link for it. Geeks.com This runs Windows CE 5.0, has a couple USB ports and a SD card slot that will support up to 16Gb SDHC cards. But doesn't allow any programs to be installed in its 2GB flash memory.

So I am looking for a freeware GPS program, that works with Windows CE. My USB GPS bug is a Delorme LT-20. And, can be run completely from a USB stick, or from a SD card.

Any ideas? I did look at the idea of converting it to Linux, but the risk of "bricking" it may keep from that. Great thread for that over at Ubuntu Forums...

I'm getting the thing anyway, its cheap enough to be used strictly for email and internet connections while traveling. Eaiser to carry than a fullsize laptop.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

So, nothing can be stored on the "C" Drive (2gb Flash)?
That may cause some problems...

Im trying to find out what CE is based on, but Wiki isnt being too helpful so Ill have to do some more looking (ive never heard of it before today).

Depending on what its based on you may be able to just download a xp/2000 app for it.
EX: my moms computer runs Server 2003, which is based on NT 5.0 aka XP. So I download XP apps for it and they run fine.

Last edited by 89Laredo; 05-02-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM

It is my understanding that I cannot save to the C: drive. Windows CE 5 and 6 are precursors to the current Mobile version of Windows. Hence, the desire to run something from USB or SD card.

But, I expect have it delivered in the next few days. Whether it works as I intend it to or not, at $90 its still very useful for checking email at McDonalds and bookstores...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

just get a t-mobile cliq and you will get everything you want. mine works great and is used everywhere.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee

I pretty much use my I phone, and always have a hand held GPS. That I keep in the glove box. I believe windows CE is generally used in industrial applications.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Hmm, most of where I want a GPS doesn't have cell service. And, well, I don't use Apple products on principle.... (though the Ipad might suck me in anyway....)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by zjrog
Hmm, most of where I want a GPS doesn't have cell service. And, well, I don't use Apple products on principle.... (though the Ipad might suck me in anyway....)
I've never seen a "mac" crash. And the hand held GPS, I keep in the glove box. Works great!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

You have to look for a portable software for your GPS that you can run from a pen drive.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:26 AM

Thats why I'm asking... Hoping that maybe some otehr geek might have looked for a GPS program that runs off a thumb drive or SD card. Got the little netbook today and I'm actually impressed so far. Ran almost three hours on battery. Connected with little issue to my wifi net at home. Biggest major issue is finding a driver for the USB GPS bug to work with a thumb driven GPS program.

At worst, I can still use this for email and such while running around town. In some ways, better than my old Pentium 100 laptop did.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 2002 WJ 4.0

the ipad IMO was a huge strike out for apple. it has no more capability than an ipod touch. no camera, not a whole lot of storage, and no usb port. i'll get an iphone before i get an ipad.

zedpapa
Old 05-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by zedpapa
the ipad IMO was a huge strike out for apple. it has no more capability than an ipod touch. no camera, not a whole lot of storage, and no usb port. i'll get an iphone before i get an ipad.

zedpapa
The iPad is meant for ppl like me who have all of their class books on the computer (dont like the hard copies and they are MUCH more expensive...) It is meant to battle the kindle. they also have a USB port so you can print..... But that is not the topic at hand...

I have looked into this before and well i have to say that they DO make a GPS receiver from a thumb drive and other programs i have attached a link to a few....

I used a standard receiver and that hooked into my mac book pro(early 2008) and i used a program called TrailRunner(mac only). It has a topo/road/weather/satellite view. I used the topo mainly. and i could see my jeep moving and where i wanted to be. no turn by turn directions but it still was nice to have. I have since then lost my receiver and my watch..... lol

Use Your Laptop as a GPS Device
Use your laptop computer itself as a GPS navigator. For example, Microsoft offers a very reasonably priced ($99) Streets and Trips Navigator 2008 package that includes a compact GPS receiver that connects to your laptop via USB cable, substantial basemap set, and software to manage it all. Garmin’s Mobile 10 for laptops ($160) includes a GPS receiver that connects to your laptop via wireless Bluetooth.

http://www.nextag.com/Garmin-Mobile-...65/prices-html

http://www.blue-hills-innovations.com/road.htm
Old 05-09-2010, 07:07 PM

96, I already use my regular laptop for GPS, I use Delorme's LT-20 USB receiver with their Street Atlas software. Works OK, but the laptop is too big for trailriding.

Still looking to see if I can run the thing on a thumb drive for Linux, but its not a normal processor, so having a tough time with a port...
Old 05-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

got it... hmmm that is a bit of a situation... i am not a linux fan... ask me anything about Mac(uncle was on the design team for the first lap top mac offered and designed the software for them as well) but not a linux person..... I know some guys who are masters at linux i will ask them what they think and see if i can scrounge up some info.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl

zjrog - I run Linux and I love it, I am headed off to bed for today, and tomorrow I have class, but I have the link saved to the specs on your netbook. I'll check it out asap, in the mean time if anyone else here runs a Linux based system could chime it that would be great. BTW - I run the Ubuntu version.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 PM

I also run Ubuntu part time on my desktop, and have it installed on my laptop for dual boot. I'd probably use it more if the wifi would work. But I'm still figuring Linux out and will get it in time. Linux intrigues me.

Quick Reply: OK you techno nuts... GPS questions