Engine: 4.0
Default oil test 3rd try

try to post my oil info

comments if u can see the report pls.
see sodium, potassium, water, antifreeze
?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BLK 2000 JP-170420.pdf (17.4 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by nujeepguy; 05-22-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
try to post my oil info

comments if u can see the report pls.
see sodium, potassium, water, antifreeze
?
they just repeated what they had said the first time you posted. There's traces of coolant in your oil they are saying. Probably have a small crack in the head. I know you've said your gonna "drive it till it goes", but why not just put a new head? You have the evidence already.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by Martlor13
they just repeated what they had said the first time you posted. There's traces of coolant in your oil they are saying. Probably have a small crack in the head. I know you've said your gonna "drive it till it goes", but why not just put a new head? You have the evidence already.
what im wondering is how they report "0" water and"?"antifreeze....?

all elements ok but potassium and sodium "likely" show the contamination.
my oil is clean and i found a coolant leak at the overflow hose. it may be my loss area?.

i mentioned that since i "may" have bottom end piston slap i would not do a head on a risky bottom and im not doing a full rebuild.
just looking for experience in these areas.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

what im wondering is how they report "0" water and"?"antifreeze....?
How did you take the sample? Hot or cold? Collected the first oil that came out of the pan or somewhere in the middle of a full drain?

What I'm hinting at is that, especially if you collected your sample hot, there's not likely to be any measurable amount of actual water in your sample (it boils out of the oil), hence the 0%.

Regarding the ? for antifreeze...From Blackstone's own website explaining what every part of their report means (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/report-explanation.php)
A question mark means we found a possible trace of coolant, but not enough to definitively say it's there.

You have experienced Jeepers and a professional lab telling you that you have either a cracked head or a bad head gasket, and you insist on denial. You say your oil is clean? But it's not. Yes, you found a leak, and that can explain coolant loss, but that DOESN'T explain the lab results. They're not mutually exclusive problems especially on an aged Jeep; you can have a cracked head AND a leaking hose--it's not a stretch.

You don't even know that you actually piston slap? Why condemn your engine to death without being sure? Heck, engines can run forever with some piston slap, and you're not even sure--maybe it's got a sticky lifter or something. Verify, don't just guess and assume. Ugh, I'd hate to think that because you hear a noise that you THINK is piston slap that you've convinced yourself that the engine isn't worth any care anymore when it's JUST as likely that if you put a new head on it that it could run trouble-free for many more miles and years.

If I was you, I wouldn't not drive it, I wouldn't hesitate to poke around systematically with a stethoscope, drop the oil pan to look for any confirmation of damage, pull the head to investigate....then after all that, I'd likely KNOW what is or isn't happening, then, I would put it all back together using a TUPY or Clearwater head.

Last edited by mschi772; 05-22-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Banned

hey guys,im just trying to get a better understanding of what i have. i never get angry at what others post. i asked for info not angry criticism of what i might do.
i dont agree with any mechanical mods guys do but its their business and i say nothing. take it easy pls , im learning my way around a veh that ive had for 6 months out of 50 yrs of driving 30 cars!!
my first jeep experience.
ill be polite,pls be the same or just skip over me.
slap?, when i described the sound, the forum told me it was slap, i had no idea what that was till you guys told me!!

oh, i took the sample exactly the way blk told me, hot, midway thru dump.

my oil pressure and water temp are exactly the same as oct when i drove it home.
it runs great,smooth and strong.
what i asked for was info on experienced info like my situation.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 05-22-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

I mean, without anyone actually being there or looking at your issue, I'm not sure how you can just believe people that you have piston slap. I mean you could, but you're going off someone's answer of your description of a sound that could be a number of things. Like stated, it could be a very small issue and your willing to just grenade an engine that could possibly be in great shape, but is showing signs of coolant in the oil. You have caught it early. You say you came to learn. Take the advice then. Heck, diving in to diagnose and repair this issue is a great thing to learn.

you get a lot of comments that you take offense to. I think it's because you constantly say you're new and came to learn. But you're not really new anymore and at some point you have to take the advice given to you to learn instead of just brushing it off if it's not what you want to hear.

I still have a lot to learn myself. I only know a small portion of what I would like to learn. There's a lot of great members on here that are exceptional help and provide great advice. If you want help, don't push people away that give advice, even if it sounds stern.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:18 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

This may shed some light on the situation:
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

When i described the sound, the forum told me it was slap, i had no idea what that was till you guys told me!!
Unless the forum pulled your oil pan to actually look and verify, all it did was listen to your description of sound and offer you a suggestion of a likely cause for you to begin your own hands-on investigation. I once had a sound that I and others were convinced was piston slap from a cracked skirt, but I didn't stop there. I then actually dug-in and investigated. Know what it was? It was just a sticky lifter, and after next to no real work whatsoever, the noise is gone, and I didn't even have to replace the lifter. If actually diagnosing automotive problems reliably via the web was possible, you'd see a lot more of it, and mechanics would have a lot less work.

Don't try to pass blame onto the forum for anything, and stop pretending to be a martyred new guy whenever we show you some tough love or scold you. You've posted here 1,165 times in 6 months. You're not new anymore. That doesn't mean you should know everything--we're all learning new things all the time yet--but it does mean you should know how to properly interpret advice from the forum and how to take action accordingly.

I don't hate you--I'm not even mad at you per se--and speaking for myself, I have never written to you with anything but your best automotive interests in mind. You annoy me a bit, however. If you think the advice you're getting isn't correct, then gather new information for us to work with which might change our advice or do something to prove us wrong. Don't just keep asking the same questions over and over until you get an answer you like better.

Oh, and if you've simply made-up your mind to grenade your engine, then either stop coming to us for help with that particular engine or don't get upset when some of us get riled-up at the notion of someone choosing to neglect their engine to death.

hey guys,im just trying to get a better understanding of what i have. i never get angry at what others post. i asked for info not angry criticism of what i might do....
...what i asked for was info on experienced info like my situation.
You been told how many different ways by how many different people that you likely have a bad head or at least a bad head gasket? I mean, there's not much else for us to tell you. There's not much else to explain.

Last edited by mschi772; 05-23-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Banned

had a good chat with the lady at blackstone who did my report. she says things look very good for wear. says sodium can come from the oil itself and potassium is usually from coolant but dont usually cause bearing wear till its 300-400.
the top 5 ,alum... are good for wear,looking good.
so im driving and as always watching oil/temp.
she says slap would show more aluminum so? slap ?
alum looks good.

so, not to worry, great.
next test july-aug with rotella 10/40

i thing i got over concerned because of the talk of the 331 head but most say it either happens or not, usually will at some point. we shall see.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 05-23-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by cruiser54
This may shed some light on the situation:
right click save
Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by peligro113
right click save
but still in the comments it says "you caught the problem before it did serious damage ". So you're still going to just let it do damage without stopping it?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:27 PM

Guys, if you haven't figured it out by now, we are wasting incredible amounts of time and energy here and in his other posts and comments.

These resources could be put to better use in threads that really reap some benefits for someone in true need of help.

If someone can't realize the caliber of help on this forum and continues to **** away our time, hell with them.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Martlor13
but still in the comments it says "you caught the problem before it did serious damage ". So you're still going to just let it do damage without stopping it?
she said "watch for coolant loss and check back in 2000 miles" and repeated that today. i developed a way of very exact measurement of loss. ill post separatly.
sorry for the trouble and thanks for your concern. like others here i have priorities where my money goes. this jeep is a fun machine bought to reduce miles on my main drive and i dont need it. its not a crisis to jump on today so relax ok!!
i notice that others dont always do what someone suggests, its ok.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 05-23-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mschi772
Unless the forum pulled your oil pan to actually look and verify, all it did was listen to your description of sound and offer you a suggestion of a likely cause for you to begin your own hands-on investigation. I once had a sound that I and others were convinced was piston slap from a cracked skirt, but I didn't stop there. I then actually dug-in and investigated. Know what it was? It was just a sticky lifter, and after next to no real work whatsoever, the noise is gone, and I didn't even have to replace the lifter. If actually diagnosing automotive problems reliably via the web was possible, you'd see a lot more of it, and mechanics would have a lot less work.

Don't try to pass blame onto the forum for anything, and stop pretending to be a martyred new guy whenever we show you some tough love or scold you. You've posted here 1,165 times in 6 months. You're not new anymore. That doesn't mean you should know everything--we're all learning new things all the time yet--but it does mean you should know how to properly interpret advice from the forum and how to take action accordingly.

I don't hate you--I'm not even mad at you per se--and speaking for myself, I have never written to you with anything but your best automotive interests in mind. You annoy me a bit, however. If you think the advice you're getting isn't correct, then gather new information for us to work with which might change our advice or do something to prove us wrong. Don't just keep asking the same questions over and over until you get an answer you like better.

Oh, and if you've simply made-up your mind to grenade your engine, then either stop coming to us for help with that particular engine or don't get upset when some of us get riled-up at the notion of someone choosing to neglect their engine to death.

You been told how many different ways by how many different people that you likely have a bad head or at least a bad head gasket? I mean, there's not much else for us to tell you. There's not much else to explain.
Just want to savor this for a while . Talk about hitting the proverbial nail....

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Guys, if you haven't figured it out by now, we are wasting incredible amounts of time and energy here and in his other posts and comments.

These resources could be put to better use in threads that really reap some benefits for someone in true need of help.

If someone can't realize the caliber of help on this forum and continues to **** away our time, hell with them.
Couldn't agree more
Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM

The only reason I visit anywhere nujeepguy has posted is to do damage control. It's getting real old............