New xj ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l i6
Default New xj ideas

I have no idea what to do to my 2001 xj its completely stock right now, any ideas?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Performance or cosmetic?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

How long have you owned the jeep? Id start with general maintenance. Change all fluids, engine oil, trans, t case, diffs. Get a good look at whats going on. The jeep is almost 14 years old, stuff is going to be wearing out. Check brake lines for rust. Check brake shoes and pads for wear. Check and grease u joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Locate and correct any leaks. I know its easy to get a jeep and want to lift it right away, ive seen many people do just that. Those people end up being the ones broke down and hating their jeep, all because they didnt do basic maintenance when they got the jeep
Old 11-23-2014, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by jeep19xj91
How long have you owned the jeep? Id start with general maintenance. Change all fluids, engine oil, trans, t case, diffs. Get a good look at whats going on. The jeep is almost 14 years old, stuff is going to be wearing out. Check brake lines for rust. Check brake shoes and pads for wear. Check and grease u joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Locate and correct any leaks. I know its easy to get a jeep and want to lift it right away, ive seen many people do just that. Those people end up being the ones broke down and hating their jeep, all because they didnt do basic maintenance when they got the jeep
X2
Old 11-23-2014, 04:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And how you want to use it?Will it be more daily driver or more a trail rig?What kinda budget do you have?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Year: 2000

Sound system upgrades are always nice, because if you're like me, literally the only time the radio is off is when you're lost in the dark, so you turn it off to see better while you look for the right road to take to get to a bonfire or something haha
Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

x3 this is the most important things to start with along with a Complete Tune-Up. You will find a lot of worn broken items that have too be taken care of before you start anything else as they all depend on these things.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
And how you want to use it?Will it be more daily driver or more a trail rig?What kinda budget do you have?
I don't have much as of right now but in a week I'll have 700
Old 11-25-2014, 11:29 PM

thanks Iv already started basic maintenance and I had bought this from a family member and expected it to be taken care of and well... There was barely any transmission flyid
Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by hockeyfan_83
Performance or cosmetic?
why not both?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

$700 isn't much money. I would start with making sure its a reliable safe vehicle to drive.... I DIDN'T do that with mine, and I have an XJ on an Amazing 3.5" lift, Sweet tires, Clean interior, and it doesn't go anywhere due to a bad head gasket.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
only time the radio is off is when you're lost in the dark, so you turn it off to see better
This makes zero sense, LOL

"I can't see anything"
"Well turn it down, then"
LMAO
Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
$700 isn't much money. I would start with making sure its a reliable safe vehicle to drive.... I DIDN'T do that with mine, and I have an XJ on an Amazing 3.5" lift, Sweet tires, Clean interior, and it doesn't go anywhere due to a bad head gasket.
This is a good life lesson. A lot of people curse XJs for being ****boxes because modifications are done without catching up on maintenance.

Brake lines is a favorite of mine at the moment lol

Originally Posted by roninofako
This makes zero sense, LOL

"I can't see anything"
"Well turn it down, then"
LMAO
You'd be surprised... Phat bass rockin' tha windshield
Old 11-26-2014, 09:24 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by salad

You'd be surprised... Phat bass rockin' tha windshield
I don't live in the hood or roll on "dubz" so I really wouldn't know. I like to hear what my Jeep is telling me, LOL
Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
Sound system upgrades are always nice, because if you're like me, literally the only time the radio is off is when you're lost in the dark, so you turn it off to see better while you look for the right road to take to get to a bonfire or something haha
LOL. I do that also. Apparently it's a symptom of attention deficit disorder. The same parts of your brain that process language also process thought necessary to navigate. Turning down the music allows more of your brain to pay attention to your driving.

It's also the same reason people on their cell phones drive like ****ing dip****s.

Originally Posted by cojeepin
I have no idea what to do to my 2001 xj its completely stock right now, any ideas?
Since you have a 2001, you have an 0331 head unless it has been replaced already. You should search and read up on the 0331 head cracks. Having been through the 0331 head saga myself, if I were you I would start a separate emergency fund dedicated entirely to the head for when it cracks. Or you could just preemptively replace it so that you can have full confidence in it. At a minimum you need to understand the issue so that it doesn't take you by surprise.

In the meantime I would suggest closely monitoring your coolant system to make sure it's working properly. If you're having any heat issues, I would suggest a cooling system overhaul. If the Jeep hasn't had one, it's about time for parts to start failing. I would also suggest sending off oil samples to Blackstone for oil analysis at each oil change, because the analysis can give you an early warning if there's any problem with your engine.

As for other modifications, what you need to do is read this board daily. There are sooooooo many things you can do to one of these Jeeps, and what you do depends entirely on what capabilities you want the Jeep to have and how much money you want to spend. If you read the threads and questions here, you'll start to get an idea of what the platform is capable of, and then you'll start to form an idea of what you want to build.

I skim these three sub-boards every single day and read individual threads that interest me:

OEM Cherokee Tech

Modified Cherokee Tech

Cherokee Chat

I have learned an awful lot about what's possible, including a lot of mods I have no intention of doing. But I don't know I don't want to do them until I read about them and know they're possible. I read and read and read and finally formed a picture of the Jeep I wanted, and now I'm building it.

If you don't approach it with a plan, you'll just throw money after money and never quite get what you want.

Last edited by extrashaky; 11-26-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: New xj ideas