XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Make the kift shorter.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Edit: title should say: Making the Lift shorter.?

So I just bought a 94 cherokee that has a 4" lift kit on it already.. When I contacted my insurance (Ameriprise) to switch the coverage from my truck that I sold to put it on the cherokee. They told me that they do not cover vehicles that are lifted higher than three inches.. -.- the only way they check is by picture. So I need to lower the vehicle to 3" or under. Take a picture and send it to them. Then I can put it back to 4"..

So how am i going to go about this? Any ideas? I can post pics tomorrow of the suspension and all that so you can see what I have to deal with.. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks in advance
-Dylan
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. buy used oem coils and leafs to put in temporarily.
2. put lots of heavy things in it.
3. drop it from a high place and hope it settles lower than it was.
4. use some sort of tension system (something that serves the same purpose as a ratchet strap, but stronger) to pull the body closer to the ground.
5. LIE

sorry i am not of more help. the first one is probably the most practical way of doing this. probably around a day's work to switch them out.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by CherokeeSailor
1. buy used oem coils and leafs to put in temporarily.
2. put lots of heavy things in it.
3. drop it from a high place and hope it settles lower than it was.
4. use some sort of tension system (something that serves the same purpose as a ratchet strap, but stronger) to pull the body closer to the ground.
5. LIE

sorry i am not of more help. the first one is probably the most practical way of doing this. probably around a day's work to switch them out.
1. ill start looking around for them and see what I can do. What size could and leafs would I need to drop it to at max 3"?

2. Lol
3. Wow
4. That possibly might work but I would need something on the ground to attach it too
5. It's on their record now even if I told them it was only 3" they still want proof of it. -.-
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

I would load it full of sand bags and snap a pic. U can easily get it to drop 2 to 3 inches.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by vegashooter221
1. ill start looking around for them and see what I can do. What size could and leafs would I need to drop it to at max 3"?

2. Lol
3. Wow
4. That possibly might work but I would need something on the ground to attach it too
5. It's on their record now even if I told them it was only 3" they still want proof of it. -.-
Find a new insurance company, I never had any issues with my insurance company insuring any of my modified vehicles look for a company that is not a main stream company that has good coverage you'll be suprised how bad the bigger companys rape you with prices and limit coverage due to modifications

Im paying 108 Mo for Full coverage combined on both my vehicles
Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ

Find a new insurance company, I never had any issues with my insurance company insuring any of my modified vehicles look for a company that is not a main stream company that has good coverage you'll be suprised how bad the bigger companys rape you with prices and limit coverage due to modifications

Im paying 108 Mo for Full coverage combined on both my vehicles
Which company do you use?? I'm only 19 so my prices would naturally be higher. At the moment I'm still on my parents plan with two other vehicles. If the price isn't to high I wouldn't mind switching off their plan and getting my own set up.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A couple of ratchet straps around the axles and connected to the "frame". Tighten the straps and pull the wheels up into the wheel wells, take a picture and profit.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
A couple of ratchet straps around the axles and connected to the "frame". Tighten the straps and pull the wheels up into the wheel wells, take a picture and profit.
Gottcha. Ill probably try that tomorrow and see if it works.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

This is the first time I've heard of this. Did you tell them that the vehicle was modified? Your opening up the door for all kinds of issues for yourself. It's best to mention this kind of thing. Lol
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Genius
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A box of cupcakes and 4 fat girls.Yeah change insurance companies because it sounds like they will drop you the sec you need them over bs.I have owned a few lifted trucks a lot higher then your jeep and never heard anything about it from state farm.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by NewJerseyXJ609
This is the first time I've heard of this. Did you tell them that the vehicle was modified? Your opening up the door for all kinds of issues for yourself. It's best to mention this kind of thing. Lol
As far as I know it's not modified beyond the lift kit. Which is what they have a problem with. I am looking at other insurance companies. The only reason I have for staying with them is because I'm on my parents insurance plan and it's only $80 a month for the jeep (just has to be under 3") I already looked at geico for a plan by myself which would be $200 a month just because I'm under 25.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: I6 4.0

As far as I know it's not modified beyond the lift kit. Which is what they have a problem with. I am looking at other insurance companies. The only reason I have for staying with them is because I'm on my parents insurance plan and it's only $80 a month for the jeep (just has to be under 3") I already looked at geico for a plan by myself which would be $200 a month just because I'm under 25.
I'm only 24 and I have geico. I pay 109 a month for 2 vehicles. Full coverage on my f150 and something a little lower on my cherokee. You can't beat it in sure you can do better then 200.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: '99 and '91

If they only check by picture (which is stupid on their part) then just send em a picture of it and tell em it's a 3" lift. How the hell will they know? Look at other pics of XJs? Tell em every XJ is different.

My insurance co doesn't know mine are modified. They didn't ask. I didn't mention it. I did tell em my 91 was a recreational vehicle that I use for off roading. They didn't care.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Which company do you use?? I'm only 19 so my prices would naturally be higher. At the moment I'm still on my parents plan with two other vehicles. If the price isn't to high I wouldn't mind switching off their plan and getting my own set up.
Bear river mutual

Quick Reply: Make the kift shorter.?