Looking to buy a XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Looking to buy a XJ

Hello all I am new to the forum and I am looking to buy my first Cherokee its a 99 with 150k miles rough country 6.5 lift, 35 in tires(35%), Ford a custom Ford 9 inch rear end, 4.86 gear, with Yukon 31 spline axles and a Yukon Grizzly Locker. Custom off-road bumpers, roof basket, brush guard and 8000 lb Warn Winch, safari snorkel.

The bad is that the exterior has been spray painted black, rear pinion seal leaking some, front diff low and dirty oil. Poping sound at times when you first start of and turn at same time(prob Locker), pulls hard to the right steering wheel of center while driving(alignement and possible stabilizer upgrade), excessice vibration at times(could be that tires havent been balanced) door lock actuators not working, and fuel pump starting to go out takes a few times to prime before it starts at times.

The motor and tranny felt good during the drive. Anyways he is asking $4,300 and just wanted to get other peoples opinions if it sounds like a decent deal or what would be a good price to ask for it or if there is anything else I over looked or need to factor in cost, thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a XJ-front.jpg   Looking to buy a XJ-image.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 AM

Sounds like it has been hammered. But all the bad that your saying are all typical jeep problems. The pulling is probably a hung up brake caliper which would also cause the vibration. If i were you i wouldnt buy a jeep that is lifted already, build your own jeep, get much more satisfaction knowing you built it. But in the end i wouldnt pay more than 2500 for tht thing.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: Straight 6

$4300 sounds right on the money for a jeep like that in the condition it's in. If it was 100% perfect it would be $5-6k easy here.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

9in rear and 4.86 gear? they only make 4.56 or 4.88 as far as I know
looks like he had his fun with that and now it needs some major TLC and he doesnt feel like messing with it anymore
worth no where near 4300. I'd pass

build your own
xj $1500-2500
quality parts and installs $5000

total is around $7500 to build it with similar parts to his (if not better quality)

so it's more expensive but you know its quality parts and very well built.
build your own and be happier
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM

I talked to him today he said he would take $3500 does that change any thing and make it something I should not pass up???
Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee

Build your own. Someone only sells a lifted jeep for one reason they don't wanna fix it anymore build your own so you know what's done to it and what's not no guessing games. But if you want it don't pay more than $2500
Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

I'm with all the guys on this one build your own. You will break things and you will know exactly how to fix it if you built it. Sounds like he's selling it because he beat on it and now doesn't want to keep up with fixing it.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 PM

Thanks for ur responses, I planned on doing most of the work my self going to take it to a mechanic Tomrw for pre purchase inspection and see what the vertic is. I added up all aftermarket stuff according to 4wd catalog and it's over $4000 in mods so if it just needs mainly basic things to fix I may jump on it. The cherokees 97-01 around here in decent stock shape go for around 4-5k then I would have to add parts to build which would put me in the 7k + which is not happening on my budget. I don't need it as a DD just a weekend machine since I have a company car, so I am still weighing everything out.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

I'd pass. Notice the tires will need to be replaced soon? 35's are NOT cheap. Now add the cost of any repairs, and this thing will need them, on top of that. Also, stop guessing at what is wrong with it or you're going to talk yourself into a money pit. Do yourself the biggest favor off all, especially if you plan on off roading, buy a stocker. Wheel that sucker stock and then start making upgrades as you need them. A stock XJ will surprise the hell out of you with it's abilities. This XJ sounds like it was rode hard and put away wet. Yes, it looks cool, but looks don't get you home. And don't trust a mechanic to know everything about off road items. My roommate has worked as a mechanic for over 14 years and the vast majority of his wheeling knowledge has come from hanging around me. Be smart and don't sour your first Jeep experience with a lemon.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

35's are over $1000. and you'll want a spare so add another tire and wheel to that
and if you're just building an off road only wheeler because you have a company car,
just get a mechanically sound 90-96 model for like $1000 and build that

nevertheless, let us know how it looks
Old 03-13-2012, 02:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by emptypockets
I'd pass. Notice the tires will need to be replaced soon? 35's are NOT cheap. Now add the cost of any repairs, and this thing will need them, on top of that. Also, stop guessing at what is wrong with it or you're going to talk yourself into a money pit. Do yourself the biggest favor off all, especially if you plan on off roading, buy a stocker. Wheel that sucker stock and then start making upgrades as you need them. A stock XJ will surprise the hell out of you with it's abilities. This XJ sounds like it was rode hard and put away wet. Yes, it looks cool, but looks don't get you home. And don't trust a mechanic to know everything about off road items. My roommate has worked as a mechanic for over 14 years and the vast majority of his wheeling knowledge has come from hanging around me. Be smart and don't sour your first Jeep experience with a lemon.
Well said.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by abp5
Thanks for ur responses, I planned on doing most of the work my self going to take it to a mechanic Tomrw for pre purchase inspection and see what the vertic is. I added up all aftermarket stuff according to 4wd catalog and it's over $4000 in mods so if it just needs mainly basic things to fix I may jump on it. The cherokees 97-01 around here in decent stock shape go for around 4-5k then I would have to add parts to build which would put me in the 7k + which is not happening on my budget. I don't need it as a DD just a weekend machine since I have a company car, so I am still weighing everything out.
Wow those are some expensive stock cherokees if you ask me. Got mine for 800$ with 50k and barely any rust.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 AM

It seems like XJ values is going up, though. The days of buying a 1000 dollar XJ and being able to roadtrip it are all but gone, Im sure they are exception but far between.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by abp5
It seems like XJ values is going up, though. The days of buying a 1000 dollar XJ and being able to roadtrip it are all but gone, Im sure they are exception but far between.
the deals are out there I search CL for 6 months to find each of mine
91 for $800 and 93 for $1000 both in surprising shape
but both were stripped of almost all creature comforts: AC, stereo, p windows/locks
totally worth it to me tho I can add all that crap later if I want

my advice: dont jump on the first 'good' looking deal
Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Just another observation, the rear shackle angle is garbage and it's still only a short arm kit with the drop brackets. I still don't think this is worth anywhere near what he's asking. Where do you live? The guys on here love pulling up Craigslist ads, maybe they could help you find some better candidates.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a XJ