Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Long arm upgrade kit

I am starting to put the pieces together to start building long arm kits for xjs.
I have a lot of ideas but i am starting with what i know best and putting all my effort into one project to make a great product.

I have a y link on mine now but once i get my 3 link dialed in i will take the measurements from that set up and eventually offer both a y link and a 3 link option.

these wont be home made like my set up is but i will have the pieces cut out and tig welded together at my friends fab shop.
(they compete in werock and koh and have 2 rock rigs that they built themselves so theyve been thru this rodeo before)

i just want to see what kind of interest there is out there since there are so many other companies out there with so many options.

the plan is for 2 inch .250 wall dom lower links with 1.25 inch chromoly heim joints at the frame end and a rubber bushing at the axle end for the y link set up. that will give you almost no bind within a reasonable amount of flex yet keep the road noise down. the upper links will have 7/8 heims with 1.75 .188 wall tubing.

ill get around to the full 3 link kit along with other kits once i get the y link kits built and selling smoothly.

id imagine there would be some interest? im open to any input and ideas also.
thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
I am starting to put the pieces together to start building long arm kits for xjs.
I have a lot of ideas but i am starting with what i know best and putting all my effort into one project to make a great product.

I have a y link on mine now but once i get my 3 link dialed in i will take the measurements from that set up and eventually offer both a y link and a 3 link option.

these wont be home made like my set up is but i will have the pieces cut out and tig welded together at my friends fab shop.
(they compete in werock and koh and have 2 rock rigs that they built themselves so theyve been thru this rodeo before)

i just want to see what kind of interest there is out there since there are so many other companies out there with so many options.

the plan is for 2 inch .250 wall dom lower links with 1.25 inch chromoly heim joints at the frame end and a rubber bushing at the axle end for the y link set up. that will give you almost no bind within a reasonable amount of flex yet keep the road noise down. the upper links will have 7/8 heims with 1.75 .188 wall tubing.

ill get around to the full 3 link kit along with other kits once i get the y link kits built and selling smoothly.

id imagine there would be some interest? im open to any input and ideas also.
thanks
Interested!! Depends how much tho!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

price and compenents of the kit might help. ie just arms? with cross member? tcase skid like RC offers? etc
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM

Year: 1994

Price is the big key here look at your comp. then beat there price with a like or better piece. Not like you are building a better mouse trap. Not much you can do with the arms that has not been done...they are what they are...make them strong and cheaper and you will hit a homer.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

i will buy for sure if you can get me full kit around 4 or 5 bills.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Former Sponsor

id like to keep the kit around 500ish if i can because i know theres a large crowd out there that wants long arms but cant afford a $1k plus kit.

the 3 link will cost more because of having heims at both ends but ill give you a price by the end of the week, i have to get with a few friends tomorrow and figure out some numbers.

the kit will be a cross member, skid plate, and arms. that is where im at as of now.

im trying to take it one step at a time to make sure i get it all covered.

once i get a price on what it will cost to build then ill give you guys a exact price.

i would like to do something as far as a track bar not too far down the road but i would need another xj to build a track bar off of that is a bolt on kit. mine is too cut up and i dont have a bolt on track bar or a dana 30 front axle anymore.

Last edited by sandaddik2; 05-11-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

id like to keep the kit around 500ish if i can because i know theres a large crowd out there that wants long arms but cant afford a $1k plus kit.

the 3 link will cost more because of having heims at both ends but ill give you a price by the end of the week, i have to get with a few friends tomorrow and figure out some numbers.

the kit will be a cross member, skid plate, and arms. that is where im at as of now.

im trying to take it one step at a time to make sure i get it all covered.

once i get a price on what it will cost to build then ill give you guys a exact price.

i would like to do something as far as a track bar not too far down the road but i would need another xj to build a track bar off of that is a bolt on kit. mine is too cut up and i dont have a bolt on track bar or a dana 30 front axle anymore.
I'm in!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Former Sponsor

sorry jeepguy your a bit far as far as a donor vehicle lol

but if anyone local wants to pm me maybe we can work out a deal for letting me use your jeep as a jig.

im just now getting the ball rolling on this but ill get on it soon, i need money for my jeep build
Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

sorry jeepguy your a bit far as far as a donor vehicle lol

but if anyone local wants to pm me maybe we can work out a deal for letting me use your jeep as a jig.

im just now getting the ball rolling on this but ill get on it soon, i need money for my jeep build
Whenever you get the arms built id love to buy a set from ya!!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeepguy93

And if your ever in co! Let me know you could test out any system on my jeep as long as I get long term trials hahahahaha
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jeepguy93
ill deffenitely get something worked out as far as shipping. i want to sell on ebay as well as here. ill definitely get pics posted up when i get the ball rolling and keep this thread updated
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

I'd love to purchase a set if you can keep it right around 500. Once a set is done, shoot up a pic of just the parts, the welds, and an installed pic. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread to see what your finished product looks like. You've got my full support here.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

itll be a few weeks until i can do that but i definitely will.

im moving soon so that will take a little time away but i am trying to keep all the work on these kits out of my garage and have the kits made between a few shops around town so the move wont effect progress as much.

here is my y link set up this is the one i will be re making and selling as a kit since it worked so well, this is the garage made version not the shop made version though but you get the idea

it survived the hammers, claw hammer, chocolate thunder ect, iv jumped it, smashed the arms into rocks ect, look at my build thread and youll get the idea

Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

I would be interested in the kit as well. I would be even more interested if you would sell a rear coil conversion kit like you are building for your jeep.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High output inline 6

Like the idea and would be interested. Will be keeping eyes on here, good luck!

Quick Reply: Long arm upgrade kit