Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Post Let's get priorities straight..

Hello all

First off if this sort of thread has been posted previously, I apologize for being redundant. I'm (brand) new to this forum and I didn't see any write-ups about this sort of thing. By all means if I am mistaken, please let me know!

So I'm looking to purchase myself a '97-'01 Cherokee XJ in the near future. I'm in the middle of ending active service with the Marine Corps very soon. Looking to purchase a clean stock one within the next few months. Looking for a solid daily driver that I can wheel/overland with on the weekends basically.

Basically what I'm looking to do is get a running list of some good replacement/OEM parts I may expect to do immediately upon my purchase; before the obligatory lift and tires get thrown on. I'm talking all new suspension bushings, all-around fluid changes, etc.

What sort of housekeeping-type maintenance would you guys recommend to look into right away?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!

All the model years of that generation seem to have their quirks. Many say the 99s are the most desirable - if you're into distributors. The 00-01s have a somewhat well documented issue with heads cracking. Not everyone does it, but some do.

The valve cover gasket will probably be leaking, so there's that. I'd just check the diff fluid, tranfer case fluid, trans fluid (MT90 if you get a stick shift) and oil and oil pressure when cold and when warm.

I'd definitely try and buy from a private party too. Look for rust EVERYWHERE. Even my southern truck got it at the lower rear quarter panel.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Battle
Welcome!

All the model years of that generation seem to have their quirks. Many say the 99s are the most desirable - if you're into distributors. The 00-01s have a somewhat well documented issue with heads cracking. Not everyone does it, but some do.

The valve cover gasket will probably be leaking, so there's that. I'd just check the diff fluid, tranfer case fluid, trans fluid (MT90 if you get a stick shift) and oil and oil pressure when cold and when warm.

I'd definitely try and buy from a private party too. Look for rust EVERYWHERE. Even my southern truck got it at the lower rear quarter panel.

Good luck
Thank you, and thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, I've read into some issues a fair bit and know about the head problem on '00-'01s. This is something I'm keeping in mind but in general - and from what my buddies with Jeeps have told me - the '97-'01 territory is pretty safe.

I'm definitely looking to buy through a private sale. I have been frequenting Craigslist and Cargurus just sort of scoping out the market, and to get an idea of what to expect. As long as I can find something under 150k near me for 5k or less, I'll be happy. I know that's a lot, but in Southern California that seems to be an acceptable price for a clean, stock and unmolested XJ. I'm looking to buy stock because I'm meticulous and a perfectionist. I want to know that all my mods are solid, because I did them myself!

Anyway, sorry about rambling, I'm just EXCITED to have my very own XJ soon!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by RoadLessTravelled

Yeah, I've read into some issues a fair bit and know about the head problem on '00-'01s. This is something I'm keeping in mind but in general - and from what my buddies with Jeeps have told me - the '97-'01 territory is pretty safe.

I'm definitely looking to buy through a private sale. I have been frequenting Craigslist and Cargurus just sort of scoping out the market, and to get an idea of what to expect. As long as I can find something under 150k near me for 5k or less, I'll be happy. I know that's a lot, but in Southern California that seems to be an acceptable price for a clean, stock and unmolested XJ. I'm looking to buy stock because I'm meticulous and a perfectionist. I want to know that all my mods are solid, because I did them myself!

Welcome to the addiction!!!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Make sure the floors are solid specifically under the driver and passenger front foot area.
As mentioned already change out all the fluids.
Unfortunately given that even the newest XJ out there is now 16 yrs old at least. You wont really know what you'll have to do before you get one.
theres a link in my sig to my build and what i've done so far in terms of maintenance and little BS. stuff like trunk shocks and the rubber bumpers all the way to the head gasket and a "new" cylinder head.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

First off, thank you for your service. Second, welcome to the forum, and hopefully the XJ family (soon,LOL), from another SoCal user...

If you have any questions or need local help and/advice, I'm happy to help. I have upgraded/replaced most everything in my XJ, myself as well, really the only thing I haven't touched is the transmission...

Once you find your little piece of heaven, the first thing I recommend is to get a FSM here:

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

It will be the best $8 you spend on your XJ by far. Then I would do a complete fluids change front to back...diffs, transfer case, trans, motor oil/filter, coolant...as well as a fresh tune-up, plugs, wires cap/rotor...all the basic maintenance first...

Where in SoCal are you?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by XJRed96
Make sure the floors are solid specifically under the driver and passenger front foot area.
As mentioned already change out all the fluids.
Unfortunately given that even the newest XJ out there is now 16 yrs old at least. You wont really know what you'll have to do before you get one.
theres a link in my sig to my build and what i've done so far in terms of maintenance and little BS. stuff like trunk shocks and the rubber bumpers all the way to the head gasket and a "new" cylinder head.
Definitely going to get a solid look at the floors, I don't want any Flinstones moments while wheeling or driving down the highway.

Thanks, I'll be checking out your build thread soon! I get a kick out of looking at everyone's process and seeing how they tackle their problems or upgrades.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
First off, thank you for your service. Second, welcome to the forum, and hopefully the XJ family (soon,LOL), from another SoCal user...

If you have any questions or need local help and/advice, I'm happy to help. I have upgraded/replaced most everything in my XJ, myself as well, really the only thing I haven't touched is the transmission...

Once you find your little piece of heaven, the first thing I recommend is to get a FSM here:

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

It will be the best $8 you spend on your XJ by far. Then I would do a complete fluids change front to back...diffs, transfer case, trans, motor oil/filter, coolant...as well as a fresh tune-up, plugs, wires cap/rotor...all the basic maintenance first...

Where in SoCal are you?
Thanks! I appreciate the recommendations. I'll definitely have to pick up that FSM as soon as I make my purchase! I'd consider myself mechanically inclined as I work on helicopters every day but strangely enough I still haven't done too much on my vehicles aside from basic maintenance tasks. I'm hoping my future XJ breaks juuust enough to allow me to do a little more! haha

As far as location, I'm in San Diego but when I get out I'll be going to school back home just north of Anaheim. I've gone wheeling a handful of times in my buddy's Jeep and have gotten a little behind-the-wheel in his CJ5, but aside from that no wheeling experience. I'll be learning as I go.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Welcome to the addiction!!!
Thanks Cruiser! Very soon I hope!!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:34 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the recommendations. I'll definitely have to pick up that FSM as soon as I make my purchase! I'd consider myself mechanically inclined as I work on helicopters every day but strangely enough I still haven't done too much on my vehicles aside from basic maintenance tasks. I'm hoping my future XJ breaks juuust enough to allow me to do a little more! haha

As far as location, I'm in San Diego but when I get out I'll be going to school back home just north of Anaheim. I've gone wheeling a handful of times in my buddy's Jeep and have gotten a little behind-the-wheel in his CJ5, but aside from that no wheeling experience. I'll be learning as I go.
As I said, any questions, just ask.

I've been wheeling since I was a kid, grew up on the trails out here, moved to Colorado, wheeled there and Moab, Utah for many years, as well as trips to other states...read up on trail etiquette, recovery, and wheeling preparedness as well. Over time, of course, not trying to overwhelm you, haha!

I'm in the high desert near Victorville, up the 15 on the way to Vegas...if you're ever out this direction, let me know, come hang by the firepit and drink some cold ones, grill some varmints on the BBQ, wrench on your rig, whatever...BTW I'm a welder/fabricator, so if you need any help there, I'm your huckleberry. Have lots of tools and equipment at the house...
Old 03-19-2017, 01:57 PM

As I said, any questions, just ask.

I've been wheeling since I was a kid, grew up on the trails out here, moved to Colorado, wheeled there and Moab, Utah for many years, as well as trips to other states...read up on trail etiquette, recovery, and wheeling preparedness as well. Over time, of course, not trying to overwhelm you, haha!

I'm in the high desert near Victorville, up the 15 on the way to Vegas...if you're ever out this direction, let me know, come hang by the firepit and drink some cold ones, grill some varmints on the BBQ, wrench on your rig, whatever...BTW I'm a welder/fabricator, so if you need any help there, I'm your huckleberry. Have lots of tools and equipment at the house...
Awesome, I appreciate it! Yeah I'll have to start looking into all those things a little bit more in-depth, there's a lot to learn for sure haha

Well thanks, I appreciate the offer.. that's kind of the only problem I foresee in my future, is that my space is quite limited where I'll be parking my XJ. Don't exactly have a garage I can pull it into and leave it on jack stands for a long period of time or anything so for a while I'll be borrowing friends' driveways and garages haha!
Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM

Awesome, I appreciate it! Yeah I'll have to start looking into all those things a little bit more in-depth, there's a lot to learn for sure haha

Well thanks, I appreciate the offer.. that's kind of the only problem I foresee in my future, is that my space is quite limited where I'll be parking my XJ. Don't exactly have a garage I can pull it into and leave it on jack stands for a long period of time or anything so for a while I'll be borrowing friends' driveways and garages haha!
If it can be done in a weekend, it can be done here, LMAO
Old 03-19-2017, 03:34 PM

If it can be done in a weekend, it can be done here, LMAO
As I said I appreciate it, glad to know there's great people in the Jeep community out there
Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM

As I said I appreciate it, glad to know there's great people in the Jeep community out there
Hokey Pokey.

That's what it's all about.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Thanks for your service, even if you are a jarhead (said the old Army guy).

Are you at 29 Palms?

Don't assume that southern California means little to no rust. They do salt in the mountains some, and then there are the beach cruisers. You get a bonus with those - salt AND sand!

Just plan on doing the cooling system. New hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat. Flush the thing, too. Then you know what you have.

Clean all the grounds. Just do it. You'll save a lot of headaches. While you're at that job, check the battery cables and connections. Lots of trouble can lurk there. Corrosion creeps up under the cable jacket.

There are a couple of members here who sell battery cable upgrade kits. Not a bad idea, but don't waste your money on the uber-big welding cable upgrade. There's no benefit to it. The 4 gauge kit is a nice one-step-up from factory. Don't waste your money on the head-to-firewall ground "upgrade". The factory braid is already massive overkill. It's just for suppressing radio noise. It should never carry more than a few micro-amps, and you don't want it to.

Another option is to roll your own with custom cables from BestBoatWire, and military style terminals from
Crimp Supply Crimp Supply
. That's what I did, and I really like it. Go with the clear heat shrink on the cable terminals and you'll always be able to see what's going on inside. Nice.