Jeep's worst decision in the world

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Jeep's worst decision in the world

Has anyone other then me wondered why the Cherokee was discontinued when the Liberty came out? This was probably the worst business move they could have made. Almost ten years later and the Cherokees are all over the road. You can't drive 15 min. on the road without running into one! What were they thinking? I am waiting for the day that Jeep announces that they are bringing the Cherokee back, and that day I will drop what I am doing and go to a dealership.

Can you imagine a Cherokee with new EVERYTHING and updated EVERYTHING just waiting for you? There would be waiting lists just to buy one, I guarantee it.

Last edited by Scheidttm; 07-19-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

I agree. A new release of 2011 Jeep Cherokees would make the Ferarri Enzo list look like crap. I would buy one faster then you could say "Holy crap, new Cherokees?"

A man can dream lol
Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM

well they kinda did come out with a new cherokee. they called it the patriot here but in europe it's still called the cherokee. they fill the market for entry level 4dr jeep. they look very simillar and are pretty off-road worthy when optioned correctly. plus u would get improved ride, options, fuel economy, comfort...i haven't read a review that was negative of it and u know that saying something about a jeep and the auto media!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 1991 I6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 1AAdam
well they kinda did come out with a new cherokee. they called it the patriot here but in europe it's still called the cherokee. they fill the market for entry level 4dr jeep. they look very simillar and are pretty off-road worthy when optioned correctly. plus u would get improved ride, options, fuel economy, comfort...i haven't read a review that was negative of it and u know that saying something about a jeep and the auto media!
We want the XJ back. A 2012 model XJ with a All mew insides and drivetrain. Not the Patroit with the Cherokee name on it.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The problem with the Patriot is that it's built on the Caliber/Compass platform. It's may okay for very minor off-road use, but I wouldn't take it on anything that slightly pushes a stock XJ.

As far as a new Cherokee, 100% build it, make it a true successor to the XJ, and sign me up if it ever happens!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

The Patriot is called the "Cherokee" in Europe? For years the word was that the Libby is called Cherokee abroad. Where did you hear that?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

or at least give us what china has!!

or at least i heard this is in china... i dunno

Name:  sl_5.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  47.0 KB
Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 PM

Engine: 4.0

I was watching some video of the new '11 GC. Looked pretty impressive out on the trails. Obviously it's not going to satisfy us "squares", but at least Jeep is still in the business of making a capable trail rig.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by FlemingXJ

Attachment 22570

Ah yes, the 2500. I've heard it's no longer in production, but it was up until '08 or so I think.

Honestly if they put decent axles under the Patriot, stiffened it's unibody, and put a real 4wd system with an optional 6-cylinder (or 4 cylinder turbodiesel) it might be a decent XJ replacement. At least it looks XJ-ish, it's letdown is the drivetrain and car/crossover weak unibody.

I'd love to see them toss the Patriot, Liberty, and Commander. I never understood the reason for the Commander, to me it seems like it's just a less capable Grand with a smaller motor? At the least toss the Patriot and Libby, bring back the XJ which can fill both rolls. But I don't see that happening, the driving public typically doesn't want a real sport utility vehicle. They want the illusion of one, and wouldn't stand for the lack of leather interiors with their padded/heated/massaging chairs, drive-by-wire, DVD entertainent systems, and car-like ride.

Originally Posted by floydwall888
I was watching some video of the new '11 GC. Looked pretty impressive out on the trails. Obviously it's not going to satisfy us "squares", but at least Jeep is still in the business of making a capable trail rig.
I like the new GC. I think it's a nice looking vehicle, and it looks pretty capable. However I think it's been prettied up too much, but then, the GCs always were a bit more 'upscale'. I can't imagine running into the '11 GC on the trails for quite some time.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:28 PM

Year: 2001 2-door
Engine: 4.0L

I would rush to be the first in line to buy a re-released Cherokee (XJ)
Love solid axles, and leaf springs.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:00 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

The new GC, patriot, compass, and liberty are all great vehicles, for the road. The only vehicle jeep makes now that is built for the trail is the wrangler, but you still have to mod the heck out of it. The commander is a great larger vehicle for those jeepaholics that want another more family friendly suv, with the larger amount of space. Their is still no great option for a good amount of space and great off-road abilities stock. I guess they tried to address this with the extended version of the wrangler, but it is not the same thing. The wrangler already has a bad roll over rating and extending the thing will only make it worse. The conclusion = Jeep Cherokee
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

i'd buy a zero miles cherokee of any year. but if they do remake it, i hope it still looks the same, or at least almost the same. i'd jump on a commander in a heartbeat, but that thing is loaded with wallet sucker accessories. and not even a solid front axle.
so, in my mind it has to be still around 3000 lbs. solid front axle, have something very comparable to I6, maybe a V8 and be very simple inside.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: '89
Engine: 242

say it with me now... LI-BER-TY ...lol
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: '89
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by FlemingXJ

Attachment 22570
lol thats RWD only.
And yeah, that looks like the chinese one

Originally Posted by CodeXJ
Ah yes, the 2500. I've heard it's no longer in production, but it was up until '08 or so I think.

I like the new GC. I think it's a nice looking vehicle, and it looks pretty capable. However I think it's been prettied up too much, but then, the GCs always were a bit more 'upscale'. I can't imagine running into the '11 GC on the trails for quite some time.
Thats what I heard too, about the 2500.

I really dont care about the new GC, but its new "offroad suspension" sounds cool....I wanna see that in action...
What is it again, something like electronically adjustable from 1-4" or something like that? ...but I bet it would cost both legs and 1 1/2 arms to replace!

Last edited by XJs-R-us; 07-19-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

Originally Posted by 420blackxj
I would rush to be the first in line to buy a re-released Cherokee (XJ)
Love solid axles, and leaf springs.

I'm with you on the axles, not the springs.
The closest thing we will ever see to an XJ is the 4 door JK. if jeep produced another station wagon suv it would be built to fit the on road cup holder crowd. They wouldn't build something that cuts in on the limited market of the JK...

Quick Reply: Jeep's worst decision in the world