Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep sputtering/backfiring/when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Default Jeep sputtering/backfiring/when warm.

OK so i have a 96 jeep cherokee country. I have been having some issues with it sense i bought it and still haven't figured it out. My jeep will start right up fine every time seems to be fine when its cold but after driving it for about 20-45 min, or its warm. It will start freaking out. Im talking not shifting right, sputtering and backfiring when i go to accelerate fast. Sometimes it will not shift into overdrive and even will stick in just third gear on some occasions. (i'm guessing thats a limp mode to save the trans). All of this occurring once jeep is warm.... I have replaced : fuel filter, tps, cps, wires. cap. rotor. everything i can think of with my jeep experience. Iv had it taken in for diagnoses. No help at ALLLL. can someone please point me in the right direction.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 2.5L

Have you solved this problem? I'm asking, because I have same problem now. But it's going rough after two miles. I'm testing it on one road, and it's totally same, on exactly one place it starts.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Year: 87
Engine: 2.5 4 banger

Did you change the plugs? Mine was doing the same thing when warm (sputtering/misfiring)... when i finally got around to it i changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor and it smoothed right out. My plugs were completely toast.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I was getting a sputtering/accelerating issue when I was running no cat. Having put one on, the issue went away.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 AM

I will change the plugs tomorrow, now I'm at work. I must remove a/c compressor for acces to first plug. Cat is on, it started from nothing, when I arrived at home from small ride.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM

I was able to get to the first plug by removing the upper coolant hose.. was just enough room to get in there without removing the ac compressor
Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM

But when I will remove the upper coolant hose, I must drain the cooling system, no? I will try it first without removing of A/C compressor, but I think, it will be better, only loose some screws and nuts, engine belt and there is a little more space. I will see. Now here is 22:50 on the morning I'm going to try get some acces to first spark plug. Maybe the upper hose will be better solution. I will let you know.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM

You'll lose a little coolant yeah. I undid the hose on the engine side, and undid the hold down bracket for it on the AC compressor, the used duct tape to hold it out of the way.

I've got an 87 with no tensioner, so to take off the belt and move the ac id have had to take off the power steering pump too
Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM

So I have some news. Bad news. I changed spark plugs today (without removing compressor, it is really possible) and nothing happend. Next I looked on distributor cap, it was little bit dirty, but no crack, not very much burst... Fuel filter is on post office, but I'm at work from friday to sunday, so I will try to change it on monday. Than I will try the fuel pump.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 PM

Do you have any check engine codes? Its starting to sound like maybe a bad o2 sensor or clogged cat. I don't think it'd be fuel related since its only doing it when warm.

You could also try asking in the oem tech section, there's a bunch more guys in there that do this stuff for a living. I'm a backyard redneck that just likes beating up on my jeep haha
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 AM

Where I can get check engine codes? My car is 87 and I don't know about any display. Or there is any connector for it? Has anyone any maintenance manual, with wiring diagrams? I alredy have my topic in OEM: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/che...ioneer-164551/ it acting like engine don't has enough fuel. It start sputtering and if I little bit relase a gas pedal, it stops. And air from exhaust comes freely, I don't think so, that cat is clogged. But I will try to change it, after few failed trying. Next will be O2 sensor.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Hm. If its stopping when you let ofd the gas it might be a fuel issue. How olds the fuel filter? Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?

If its got new plugs,wires, and the cap and rotor then you've eliminated spark issues.

Id change the fuel filter first because they're inexpensive, and if that doesn't clear it up check the pressure to make sure its not the fuel pump. Also check all the vacuum lines around the throttle body to make sure none are broken/leaking. If still no luck id be looking at the fuel injector.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM

I have acces to a fuel pressure, but I don't know, where to connect. It's connected on hoses, but on car are threads, maybe I will connect it just behind fuel filter. Fuel filter is ordered, it's on the post office now, so I'm going to change it on monday. Fuel pump isn't expensive too, it's about 25 dollars for pump and 20 for filter. And about 40 for injector. So I will see on monday. I would like to thank you, you are trying to help me, I like this forum, on czech forum they told me, that I'm stupid, that I bought old piece of garbage with useless engine. But I love this car, Jeep is my part of my personal american dream.

So I think, i will write here the resault on monday, after fuel filter replacement.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 PM

No problem man. Ive actually got the same exact jeep. 87, 2.5L, automatic. Everybody make fun of it because its got the tiny engine and it looks like hell, but im making it places they cant, I do wish i had a 4.0 tho, because even with 4.10 gears the little 4cyl struggles with the 31's

And damn those parts are alot cheaper over there. fuel pumps here are like 200USD and injectors are around 100USD.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Parts are cheap, maybe because it's not original, it's reprocessing. Some of them, especially original parts from USA, are very expensive.

Last edited by Jelen; 04-06-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: adding some info

Quick Reply: Jeep sputtering/backfiring/when warm.