XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep Credit Card - Rewards Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Credit Card - Rewards Worth It?

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether or not it is worth getting a Jeep credit card for the rewards? I have a few years before I will be buying a new Jeep and I didn't know if it was worth getting the credit card to save up some points to put towards the purchase of a new Jeep in a few years. I saw some people say before you couldn't use it for new purchases, but when I looked tonight, the website does say the points can be used towards vehicle purchases. Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:00 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Credit cards are evil. Avoid.

Just one man's opinion.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah plastic money can get you in trouble fast if your use them wrong.And honestly unless its a wrangler i would pass on the rest of the jeep brand fully.Jeeps have been on the less reliable car list for the last 5 years and all the recalls for the new cherokee and grand cherokee.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

They are flooding email box's with the apps for them, it comes from the data mining from what sites you visit and key strokes using the word JEEP thanks to GOOGLE.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I use my credit card for pretty much everything. Haven't carried cash since 2008 IIRC

Just be responsible and pay off your bills in full every month. Carrying debt sucks but if you are responsible, it helps build credit, you get rewards points, and you get some "protection" in the form of not carrying cash on you and purchase protection in most cases.

Credit card companies make their money by giving people huuuuuge limits and say 12 months of zero interest. People buy a crap ton of stuff, then defer the payments until "life" happens and they can't pay it back, then they get hit with higher interest payments for the next 5 years and end up paying 30% more than if they had just paid the damn thing off to begin with.

Just be responsible and you have nothing to worry about. This is coming from a 26-year old that had a crap ton of debt through college and is finally getting done paying it all off (let's not talk about student loans though... )
Old 10-06-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

There are no circumstances where credit is superior to having actual money.

I say this as a 36 year old who had a crap ton of debt through college but was completely debt free (including student loans) by age 25.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Right, I am not advocating buying **** when you don't have the cash to pay for it. That is precisely how you accrue debt that you are unable to pay off in full at the end of your statement.

I am saying that if I had cash in one pocket, and a credit card in the other, I will almost always pay with the card. Easily back-charged if I need to, I can pay for something worth $1000 without actually having to bring $1000 in cash with me, easy to track my spending habits using 3rd party tools, takes up less space than a credit card.

So yeah, superior to cash but not superior to "actual money" (which is just a thing that humans made-up anyways). Always pay off your balance before your statement hits, otherwise you are then giving away money for no reason.

The same is not true when I am out of the country though - cash is king elsewhere in the world. I do still keep plenty of cash on hand for emergencies though (in the car and in the safe at home). It just ends up sitting there and becoming a rainy day which is nice in its own regard.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

My theory is save up, make smart investments and keep cash. May sound like old news but its just an idea.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:34 AM
CF Veteran

How many of you would recommend buying a new jeep in a few years outside of a wrangler?I don't have a problem with the card just with the points only going to jeep gives you a tiny window.What if lets say 5 years you want a different brand car not a jeep?All those points you saved become worthless to you.If you want a card shop around find one with more options for points and whats best for you.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I still use cash for just about everything purchased locally. I don't see a reason to have a 3rd party (bank, credit card company) involved in every transaction. Not to mention the way they data mine all your purchases for marketing etc.

Credit card is mainly used for online purchases and is paid off in full each month.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:02 PM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
How many of you would recommend buying a new jeep in a few years outside of a wrangler?I don't have a problem with the card just with the points only going to jeep gives you a tiny window.What if lets say 5 years you want a different brand car not a jeep?All those points you saved become worthless to you.If you want a card shop around find one with more options for points and whats best for you.
New car payments + maintaining that new car can be 2-3x (or higher) more expensive than just diligently maintaining a car you own.

I will NEVER buy a car that I can't afford to pay cash for. That doesn't mean I won't use a card to pay. I use my credit car for everything I can--I get 2% cash back on EVERYTHING I buy with it--no special categories, no "points," no rotating rewards...just 2% back on everything from Amazon to the Mexican restaurant downtown to Joe Blow who fabs an XJ part for me and sells it to me over PayPal. I just don't use it without already having the cash to back it up. If I only have $2000 to spare, then I'm not going to be an idiot and charge $3000.

Jeeps? Unless they turn the brand around in a big way, I wouldn't touch them. There are better vehicles in every class that Jeep participates in except maybe the Wrangler (disclosure: I am extremely NOT into Wranglers, and would never be interested in one or anything designed to compete with one. Only the LJ has ever had even the closest hint of temptation for me.)

Specialized credit cards like a Jeep card? Not my style at all. Nope.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Hope to get a mortgage someday so my CCs have helped me build a credit history. Otherwise, a Jeep card sounds like the dumbest thing. I put all our groceries on a card, and we usually get $100+ of free food every quarter.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kgm
I put all our groceries on a card, and we usually get $100+ of free food every quarter.
The reason they do that is because they sell your information to marketers. As long as you're cool with that it's all OK, but the credit card companies tend not to broadcast that part of their 'rewards' programs as loudly as they do the percentage they'll be paying you.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by roninofako
Credit cards are evil. Avoid.

Just one man's opinion.
Here is another man's opinion, credit cards are evil, and can destroy your life. If there is even a chance, avoid it.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:06 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Originally Posted by Rambler65
The reason they do that is because they sell your information to marketers. As long as you're cool with that it's all OK, but the credit card companies tend not to broadcast that part of their 'rewards' programs as loudly as they do the percentage they'll be paying you.
I'm well aware.

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
Here is another man's opinion, credit cards are evil, and can destroy your life. If there is even a chance, avoid it.
Just like anything else tempting, you control your own future.