XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Jeep, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep, maybe?

Where to start!

Ok, brief background: Considering a Jeep (most likely a Cherokee) as a replacement for our Subaru Baja. Not due to any problems or dislike of the Baja-on the contrary, it’s our second one and we’ve had them since 04. It’s been a reliable rock, good in all weather, my trusted companion through snow and ice, with very few mechanical repairs needed over the years. Sadly, my husband just can’t drive it comfortably after a back injury. We share our cars, and want something we can both drive to replace it. We both have an SG Forester (his=04 XT mine=05 XS) so this is an extra vehicle for either of us. It will likely be mostly just a street driven truck, maybe some “truck trails” (mostly level dirt roads)-after everything his back has been through, our days of any type of remotely “serious” off roading are past unfortunately. We recently bought a little camper, but any Jeep should tow it like it’s not there-it weighs like 900lb. We live in WNY along Lake Ontario, so we get winter weather-and it can be sunny when I leave home to go to work and turn into snow and ice on the way (25 miles one way). Additionally, we live in a rural area, so even a clear road can have blow over drifts where there are open fields.

Problem. I like Jeeps. We’ve just never owned one. I don’t know what questions to ask, so I don’t know what things to search for. We’d be either trading (equal) the Baja on one, or buying one once the Baja is sold, so we’re looking in the 5K and less range, price wise. Has to be an automatic. Obviously, we’re not looking at newer ones at that price. Probably early 2000’s. I’ve seen a couple listed as AWD. Are we talking true AWD like a Subaru (wheels that slip to wheels that grip) or RWD that engages all four wheels equally when it senses the need? Anything in particular to be aware of? I’ve already seen mention of a climate control issue (our foresters are similar-the “automatic” climate control SUCKS). I know the sweet looking old Wagoneers had issues with rear frame rot-never found one up here that didn’t. How about the Cherokee? Any particular maintance items to ask about (for instance the 4cyl. Subies require a timing belt service every 105K or 10 years, or risk failure which is never a good thing with an interference motor)? It’s a long shot, but has anyone had a Baja and moved to Jeep? If so-thoughts on the experience? What’s better or worse about the Jeep? The Fozzies are new to us this year, but the Baja has rocked the snow, mud, lighter trails (clearance isn’t nearly what a Jeep has), etc. We’ve had 4WD trucks (02 F-150, a couple Broncos) and while they are good in the snow, they aren’t as good as the AWD has been (Baja is better off the line and in corners, it just sticks it better than the trucks did). I’m just concerned that the Jeep will be a bit more like the trucks than the Baja.

Now I know I’m on a Jeep forum and everyone here is probably going to be more pro Jeep, just like if I posted this on a Subie forum everyone would be more pro Subaru. I’m sure they both have positives and negatives. I don’t expect the Jeep to get the 27 MPG the Baja is, but I know it can tow more and has better clearance. They aren’t the same vehicle. This isn’t so much about which one is better-it’s more like, what can I expect from a Jeep coming from a Subaru and what do I need to know to (hopefully) avoid buying a lemon. I find lots of comparisons between the SJ Foz and the current model Cherokee but nothing about older models.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!

After reading your post twice I think you would find the Jeep Grand Cherokees a WJ model built from 99-04, an 03/04 being my choice of yrs and the improvements made in them over the 99-02 models.

I have both a WJ (04 Overland edition) and a XJ Cherokee (99 Sport) both 4wd's. The WJ is by far more comfortable than the XJ and compares to my 2013 Lincoln Town Car for ride quality and options offered. I would suggest if you could find a very clean well cared for one in the "Overland Edition" they are in your price range if you avoid dealers. High mileage is not uncommon I bought mine 6 yrs. ago with 200,000 mi. on it and it looked, drove like new a one owner still have done nothing but regular services on it.

The 04 WJ's are the last of a full differential and not IFS a real plus in strength. It does have full time 4wd and my wife loves ours, much better than an AWD for sure by design.

I paid $5100 for it 6 yrs. ago and here is a list of the factory options it has on the build sheet (all you need is the vin# to get one from Jeep) then you can see what is on one. As you can it has everything you need plus a lot more the drivers seat has power lumbar support also in it. My back bothers me a lot also and at 6'4" 345# its comfortable.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory with the
following:

*TL Lux Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
-DB Dk/Lt Slate Gray
ADES Cold Weather Group
ADLP Skid Plate Group
AFFS Luxury Group
AHX Trailer Tow Group IV
APAS Monotone Paint
ARGS Overland Decor Group
ATCS Radio-CD/Cass/10 Disc/Infinity Spkrs AWBS Quadra-Drive II (R) 4WD System
AWES Up Country Suspension Group A83P Mutually Exclusive Package BAZS 136 Amp
Alternator BC6S 625 Amp Maintenance Free Battery BRYS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc
Brakes CACS Low Back Bucket Seats CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel CFNS Rear
60/40 Folding Seat CGSS Supplemental Side Air Bags CGUS Child Seat Anchor
System-LATCH Ready CG1S Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags** CJ2P Supp. Side
Curtain Frt/Rr Air Bags CKDS Floor Carpet CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet CKTS
Cargo Tie Down Loops CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats CLGS Covered Cargo Storage
CLHS Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net CLPS Driver Foot Rest CSCS Cargo
Compartment Cover CSRS Passenger Assist Handles CUDS Mini Overhead Console
CUFS Full Length Floor Console DGES All 5-Speed Automatic Transmissions DGQ 5-
Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter DHFP Quadra-
Trac II On Demand 4WD System DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle DMES 3.73 Rear Axle
Ratio DRKS Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle DSBP Vari-Lok Progressive Front Axle DSCP
Vari-Lok Progressive Rear Axle EVC 4.7L V8 Power Tech HO Engine GBBS Tinted
Windshield Glass GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass GEGS Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GEPS Flipper Liftgate Glass GFAS Rear Window Defroster GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum
Vanity Mirrors GNKS Rear View Auto Dim Mirror GT3S Power Heat Driver Auto Dim
Mirrors GWAS Power Sunroof GXMS Remote Keyless Entry GXXS Sentry Key Theft
Deterrent System HAFS Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control HGAS Hood Insulation
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group I51S Route 51 - CSX, Memphis, TN JA6S
Electroluminescent Instr Cluster JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer JHBS Rear
Window Wiper/Washer JHCS Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers JJBS Dual Note
Electric Horns JJJP 12V Rear Auxiliary Power Outlet JKAS Glove Box JKPS 12V
Auxiliary Power Outlet JKYS Power Accessory Delay JPBS Power Locks JPDS Power
Windows, Driver One-Touch JTFP Power 10-Way Heated Memory Seats K4BS EXTERIOR
COMPONENT COLOR K9KS MED. DRIFTWOOD MET. - Rails - Rock LACS Illuminated Entry
LAGS Warning Chime LAZP Vehicle Information Center LBBS Courtesy Lamps LBCS
Glove Box Lamp LCES Rear Courtesy/Reading Lamps LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp
LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer LEWS Radio/Driver Seat/Mirror Memory LMBS
Halogen Headlamps LMGP Automatic Headlamps LNJS Fog Lamps LPSS CHMSL Lamp LSAS
Security Alarm MDAS Front License Plate Bracket MFDS Bright Grille MHAS Black
Windshield Moldings MTBP 4.7L HO Badge MVBS Grand Cherokee Badge MVCS Jeep
Badge MVEP V-8 Badge MWES Side Roof Rails MWF Adjustable Roof Rail Crossbars
MZBS Quadra Drive Badge MZMS Overland Badge NAS 50 State Emissions NBGP
Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions NFPS 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank NHFP Power
Steering Cooler NHMS Speed Control NMHP Hydraulic Engine Cooling PXR Brilliant
Black Crystal Pearl Coat QXRS Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat RAAC All
Radio Equipped Vehicles RBPS AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl RCES Infinity
Speakers RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna RDPP 10-Disc Remote CD Changer RDZP
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls SBAS Power Steering SCWS Wood/Leather
Wrapped Steering Wheel SDUS Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks SUAS Tilt
Steering Column TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire TBWS Full Size Spare Tire
w/Matching Whl TS6S P235/65R17 OWL All Terrain Tires TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WGWS 17" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels WLZC All Aluminum Wheels XAM Power
Adjustable Pedals w/Memory XEEP Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield XEFP Transfer Case
Skid Plate Shield XEUP Front Suspension Skid Plate XFBP Bright Tow Hooks XFHP
Class IV Receiver Hitch XFKP 7 Pin Wiring Harness XFLP 7 to 4 Pin Wiring
Adaptor XGDP Universal Garage Door Opener XPFS Protective Coating and Remover

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 09-19-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by jeepmaybe
Considering a Jeep (most likely a Cherokee)

Probably early 2000’s.
The XJ Cherokee went out of production in 2001 (at least in the US), and the 2000 and 2001 model years had some issues you probably don't want to get into. If you want a Cherokee, look at '97 to '99, with '99 being the best year.

Note that there is a big difference between a Cherokee and the various Grand Cherokees, so don't get them confused. FYI, the '99 to '01 6-cylinder Grand Cherokee had some of the same engine issues the '00 and '01 XJ had. The Grand Cherokees were a bit more spacious and comfortable than the XJ, so you may want to drive both and see which one your back likes better.

Originally Posted by jeepmaybe
I’ve seen a couple listed as AWD. Are we talking true AWD like a Subaru (wheels that slip to wheels that grip) or RWD that engages all four wheels equally when it senses the need?
If you're talking about XJs, some of them came with full-time and part-time 4WD. The full-time 4WD slips so that it's suitable for use on pavement like an AWD system. Some only had part-time 4WD (depending on which transfer case was installed), so you have to make sure you know which one you're driving if the full-time function is important to you.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:14 PM

Year: 1987

Hi jeepmaybe! Like Fred said Grand Cherokee should fit you all just fine. Its like a caddy that can go anywhere! Would have to change the jeepmaybe to jeep4sure though... My back bugs too, especially after an all day wheelin adventure! But i have an OLD XJ!!! Going to keep on wheelin till i need a cane though(ok till i can't climb into it)....
Old 09-19-2016, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

As a daily driver a grand cherokee rides a lot better,Between the coil springs front and back and the nice seats they have.The grands a little bigger then a xj and a v8 one can tow 6500 lbs.And around me i can find a lot more nicer grands for the same price or even cheaper then a nice xj.And most of those grands was used as minivans and never been off road.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Hubby isn't positive he 1) wants another vehicle (we both have one already, this would be a third "extra" vehicle) and 2) wants a Jeep (I know, I know-who WOULDN'T want a Jeep lol) yet so it's not a given but I think, after looking more at different Jeeps, most likely it will be a Grand Cherokee. Although I still drool over the Grand Wagoneers lol (NOT that I don't like the Grand Cherokees, but the old school style still gets me). I mean..look at it!

There are a couple of interest for sale but neither wants to consider trades, so we're in a holding pattern until the Baja sells. We hemmed and hawed and drug our feet on listing it, so it's only been for sale for a few days-but I'm ready to just have a serious buyer come with cash in hand so we can move on!

So anything specific I should know, assuming we will most likely be looking at a Grand Cherokee of early 2000's vintage?

As far as the AWD vs 4WD, the one I saw pics of that was listed as AWD didn't have the shift lever next to the tranny shifter so I assume that would be the full time 4WD? I do like the idea of not needing to shift in and out of 4WD, the AWD has really rocked it since we moved out here-especially the two north/south roads we take that typically experience the most blow overs-you can have half a mile of dry pavement then a big drift. As low as the Baja is, it just blasts through those like nothing. A taller Jeep would probably be even better when they get deeper.

I think we'd be a good fit for the Jeep lifestyle. While we have Subies, they aren't street modified. The Xt has a lift (albeit small) and they rock a more Off Road look.

Our current rides that the Jeep would join (left is mine, right is his):

Old 09-21-2016, 02:37 PM

Hm. Well. I posted a reply yesterday that went into moderation and hasn't appeared yet. Since that one will hopefully appear some time, I'll just say thank you for the replies for now rather than repost everything. Didn't want it to appear that I posted and ran lol.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Dealt with.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:06 AM
CF Veteran

I would take my time and look for the most clean,Rust free and well taken care of jeep i can find.And i would ask if they kept a maintenance log book that alone shows they cared for it and took good care of it.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Dealt with.
Thank you!
Old 09-24-2016, 01:43 AM
CF Veteran

On the grand Cherokee the wj body ran 99-04,If you want a 6 cylinder one look at the 03-04 years the 99-mid 02 got a bad cylinder head that is known to crack.But i would look at v8 ones specially if you want to tow with it,And the mpg different between the 6 cylinder and v8 is like 2 mpg.Or if you want a rare one the 98 grand cherokee limited 5.9.It was the fastest suv in its day and a limited number of those was made.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Yes do consider a "WJ" 99-04 Grand as the latest model one with the 03-04 one the best choice for both engines the 4.0 6 cyd. and the 4.7 V-8. After the 04 model year the differentials changed making them not as well suited for off roading.

They did not come in a AWD only full time and some part time ones, the other lever beside the shift lever is the neutral and 4 low position for the transfer case. Mine is very good in deep snow on/off road, ice, mud and rain with the full-time 4WD.

I do tow with it in fact my XJ part of the time on an all steel 18' race car trailer ( has tow pkg. and v-8 ). If one of my Jeeps had to go the WJ would be the keeper. Mine is completely stock but well optioned as you can see from the build sheet the best well in your price range, if you can get your husband to drive one like mine he will change his mind on a Jeep for sure.
Name:  1999JeepXJ005_zps40a7393c.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  81.7 KB