Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep dies when shifted into drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep dies when shifted into drive

Hey all,
My son drives our 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport whiles attending college. He said that the jeep will start but when he shifts it into drive she dies. It through a "check gauges" light, so all gages read normal but the oil gage, which was low. He checked the oil and it was low so he added some oil until it was back in the normal range. Once again he started it and it would idle (weakly) and again when it shifted into drive it would die.
Second problem is that he is 300+ miles from home. So he and his buddies have some technical experience but limited tools and time. I don't mind having it go to a mechanic but I don't know any trust worthy mechanics in the Pullman WA, Moscow ID, or Lewiston ID area.

Thank you for any insight you can help with.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jael Thompson
Hey all,
My son drives our 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport whiles attending college. He said that the jeep will start but when he shifts it into drive she dies. It through a "check gauges" light, so all gages read normal but the oil gage, which was low. He checked the oil and it was low so he added some oil until it was back in the normal range. Once again he started it and it would idle (weakly) and again when it shifted into drive it would die.
Second problem is that he is 300+ miles from home. So he and his buddies have some technical experience but limited tools and time. I don't mind having it go to a mechanic but I don't know any trust worthy mechanics in the Pullman WA, Moscow ID, or Lewiston ID area.

Thank you for any insight you can help with.

It may be an issue with the Idle Air Control (IAC) pintle being dirty.

It's a matter of removing the IAC from the Throttle Body and gently cleaning the pintle, using Carb Cleaner and tooth brush. And cleaning out the bore on the Throttle Body.

Search Youtube for cleaning the IAC. Or use your search engine for the procedures.