Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 XJ Stumble before Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 02:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97 XJ Stumble before Accelerating

It's a 4.0/AW4.

It seems to idle rough, and the second you start to rev it up it goes BUP BUP BUP BWAAAP (studders and then takes off).

When you're driving it, if you touch the gas pedal like an egg shell it goes okay, but pretty much dies on hills. If you mat the pedal, the exhaust starts to almost shake and then it'll backfire.

I checked fuel pressure, it's holding 50 pounds when running but the check valve is shot in the tank. Bleeds down pressure when you kill it. I disconnect the fuel line from the tank, and the rail, blew that out, blew out the fuel rail, swapped sensors on throttle body with known good ones and nothing.

Jeep was running fine about two weeks ago. He decided to wash the engine off with that degreaser stuff and it seemed to start acting up after that.

He said he cleaned some grounds off but that was about it. Here's a video of it. If you listen carefully you can hear it sounding really bad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgDkw6ncTDM

It's throwing a code but I can't find my code reader. Obviously I need to get them read but any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

If it bleeds off immediately when you shut off the engine, the filter/regulator needs replacing for sure. From experience replace the assembly or you just do it over in a month. A clogged filter will surely cause a stumble, it did on mine, I assume you have ruled out ignition issues?
I always say, when hunting a problem and you find something you're not sure of that is 'slapping you in the face' you have to fix that before you can say it that's the original problem.
The video sounds like you're missing a cylinder, .? You need to read the codes, can you do the key trick on the 98 xj?

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 09-18-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ignition issues?

No key trick on a 98, i just ordered a new code reader from amazon. I think i accidentally scraped mine in a jeep i scrapped about a week ago.

There seems to be plenty of fuel in the rail.

Maybe bad injectors? But then why would it smooth out?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HudsonN
It's a 4.0/AW4.

It seems to idle rough, and the second you start to rev it up it goes BUP BUP BUP BWAAAP (studders and then takes off).

When you're driving it, if you touch the gas pedal like an egg shell it goes okay, but pretty much dies on hills. If you mat the pedal, the exhaust starts to almost shake and then it'll backfire.

I checked fuel pressure, it's holding 50 pounds when running but the check valve is shot in the tank. Bleeds down pressure when you kill it. I disconnect the fuel line from the tank, and the rail, blew that out, blew out the fuel rail, swapped sensors on throttle body with known good ones and nothing.

Jeep was running fine about two weeks ago. He decided to wash the engine off with that degreaser stuff and it seemed to start acting up after that.

The Throttle Position Sensor probably got trashed, or crap got in the connector, during the wash. The Distributor may have taken a ***** bath as well

He said he cleaned some grounds off but that was about it. Here's a video of it. If you listen carefully you can hear it sounding really bad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgDkw6ncTDM

It's throwing a code but I can't find my code reader. Obviously I need to get them read but any suggestions?