Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuel/ Starting Issue Need Some Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel/ Starting Issue & Need A Fix ASAP

Ok, so I just bought a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L for $1500 with a few minor issues. Once I got it home I realized the issues were worse than advertised. I won't complain much for $1500. Upon inspection, I started it multiple times and drove it and it all seemed fine. Once I got it home and let it sit for a while I went to start it again and it wouldn't. After about 30-45 seconds of holding the key and pumping the gas pedal it would finally start. My initial thought was that it had something to do with sitting on an incline. All the times I started it before bringing it home it was on flat ground and started fine. Now, when it comes to troubleshooting vehicles I don't know much but I know how to turn a wrench and with a little instruction could fix almost anything on my own. I was thinking that it was the fuel pump causing this issue but after talking to some more knowledgeable people I was told that if the fuel pump wasn't working properly, it wouldn't start at all. I was then advised to check to see if there was pressure at the fuel rail and if there wasn't then it was a bad injector(s). So I took a screw driver and depressed the shrader valve on the fuel rail and not a drop of fuel came out-- no pressure. I then got it started and used this neat little trick of putting a screw driver at the base of each injector and putting your ear to it to listen for the clicking of the injectors. I couldn't tell if any of them were not clicking but this could be due to the fact that the engine has an audible tick in the first place; bad lifter rod I'm assuming, but that's another problem for another time. I also turned the key on 3 time in rapid succession and the code P0463 (Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too High -- Fuel level sensor input above acceptable voltage) came up on the dash. As a last effort, I had someone turn the key on while I listened in the back and I was able to hear the fuel pump "turn on". So ultimately I am at a loss and am still unsure of whether the issue is with the fuel pump or the injectors or something else entirely. If someone could shed some light on this matter for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by encinoman9345; 08-23-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

go to autozone (or some other auto parts store) and check out their fuel pressure test kit. its free. connect to the rail and report back your pressure. also note the time it takes (if any) for the pressure to drop and by how much. that's where I would start.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It could also be a leaking check valve at the fuel pump. If you want to go to the trouble, you can pull the fuel rail and injectors off the engine, wire-tie the injectors to the rail, and pressurize them. You should be able to see one dripping or spraying if it's leaking. Oh....right! you have 2 rails. Same thing.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-25-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

"P0463 (Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too High.." means open circuit, its not seeing any resistance from the fuel sender, so that could indicate time for a fuel pump assembly, but...before I shelled out for that, I would recommend what is said above, go get a fuel pressure gauge at harbor freight and check it running and the bleed down tests.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I appreciate all the reply's. I intend to start cracking into it tomorrow and will reply with what I find. Thank you!