Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Interesting situation

Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Interesting situation

So I've got an interesting one for you.

A little background on the situation first. I'm in the Marine Corps currently stationed on MCAS New River nc and will pcs to MCAS miramar ca at the end of next month. I will be going home for about a week to the great state of NJ and am looking to buy a jeep to drive to California. Whether it matters or not, I will have about 7 days to make it there.

So, I have been looking at newer wranglers from dealers all around $20k which I could afford the payments on but that would not leave me much money to actually build that jeep I buy. So I decided to go back to what I've owned before, a cherokee. And I've come across one that, from the pictures I've seen, looks nice. However there are some things that scare me.

1. It's got a 9" lift on 37s and I need to take it all the way from nj to California so you can throw fuel mileage out the window. Now I'm not too worried about paying for gas because I have already accounted for paying for gas and getting about 14mpg all the way there and I am able to pay for that. Just not sure exactly how bad something of this size will be.

2. It's got 202k miles. He says these are not hard miles. He has told me that in the jeeps younger days it has seen its share of mud but in the last year and a half hasn't been taken off road. 202k just seems like a scary number to me.

3. He is asking $8500. For as nice as it appears to be, maybe but again I haven't exactly gone to see it in depth yet.

4. He's running 37s with stock gears. Now believe me as soon as I get to California I will be changing this. More than likely swapping the axles and changing the gears and throwing in lockers. My concern with this is im just not sure if it will be okay making that long of a drive to California.

So these are some of the concerns I have and just leave your opinion and what you think about it. Should I go for an older cheaper cherokee/ wrangler? Maybe even look for a stock one? Or look into a newer jk and maybe pay a bit more?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still a jeep newbie, but that price sounds way out of line especially if the axles and gears are still stock.

And I'm taking a wild guess that you won't see anything near 14mpg out of that rig

FYI, I paid $3500 for a stock 1988 with 76K miles and people told me that was too much but it was really nice still.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Cpeters1928
So I've got an interesting one for you. A little background on the situation first. I'm in the Marine Corps currently stationed on MCAS New River nc and will pcs to MCAS miramar ca at the end of next month. I will be going home for about a week to the great state of NJ and am looking to buy a jeep to drive to California. Whether it matters or not, I will have about 7 days to make it there. So, I have been looking at newer wranglers from dealers all around $20k which I could afford the payments on but that would not leave me much money to actually build that jeep I buy. So I decided to go back to what I've owned before, a cherokee. And I've come across one that, from the pictures I've seen, looks nice. However there are some things that scare me. 1. It's got a 9" lift on 37s and I need to take it all the way from nj to California so you can throw fuel mileage out the window. Now I'm not too worried about paying for gas because I have already accounted for paying for gas and getting about 14mpg all the way there and I am able to pay for that. Just not sure exactly how bad something of this size will be. Chances are they didnt lift it right. You may be changing a lot yo make the jeep safe. Plus 37s on stock gears is under 10mpg. 2. It's got 202k miles. He says these are not hard miles. He has told me that in the jeeps younger days it has seen its share of mud but in the last year and a half hasn't been taken off road. 202k just seems like a scary number to me. I never believe ppls excuse for their miles. 202k is 202k. Gotta find what maintenance hes done is what matters 3. He is asking $8500. For as nice as it appears to be, maybe but again I haven't exactly gone to see it in depth yet. Although the NE is more expensive and XJs can easily go for 3-6k. Move along. Too expensive 4. He's running 37s with stock gears. Now believe me as soon as I get to California I will be changing this. More than likely swapping the axles and changing the gears and throwing in lockers. My concern with this is im just not sure if it will be okay making that long of a drive to California. Answered above and honestly, to buy something to drive across country, youll need a full top to bottom inspection so start with something closer to stock So these are some of the concerns I have and just leave your opinion and what you think about it. Should I go for an older cheaper cherokee/ wrangler? Maybe even look for a stock one? Or look into a newer jk and maybe pay a bit more?
I just had a great response and my network decided to screw it up. See above for short answers.

And thank you for your service
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

buy a stock (xj,tj) and build it like you want.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

2. It's got 202k miles. He says these are not hard miles. He has told me that in the jeeps younger days it has seen its share of mud but in the last year and a half hasn't been taken off road. 202k just seems like a scary number to me.
the 200k wouldn't worry me. its the " in the jeeps younger days it has seen its share of mud " part that would worry me..

i'd be scared that i was buying someone elses headache. i'd rather buy a stocker and build it as i like.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999

37s and stock gears? Putting the wooden, gas soaked cart in front of the fiery horse. That kind of build makes me question the overall quality of the rig.

Pass
Old 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

No way. Keep looking. Stock gears on 37s it's been driven extremely hard I can guarantee that. The motor and trans have been working double overtime with that setup. And why so much lift?
Buy a good stocker that runs good and do it yourself. 8500 is way to much to pay for one.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:03 PM

I appreciate all of your opinions and advice.

I'm probably going to keep looking into a stock xj. Just hope I can find one that will make it across the country
Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I appreciate all of your opinions and advice. I'm probably going to keep looking into a stock xj. Just hope I can find one that will make it across the country
Oh it will. That particular one is questionable. We got your back here. Thats what we do
Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate all of your opinions and advice.

I'm probably going to keep looking into a stock xj. Just hope I can find one that will make it across the country
theres a ton of them on jersey craigslist.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:33 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I'd rather have a Jeep from the west if I could...

And yes, thank you for your service.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I'd rather have a Jeep from the west if I could... And yes, thank you for your service.
My pleasure to serve.

And believe me so would I it's just with the situation I'm in the only way to really get all my things out there easily would be to put them in a car and drive. Plus it will be nice to get there and have a car to get to work in.

Just gotta keep on looking
Old 05-27-2015, 04:12 PM

Year: 1991

8 inch lift on 37's with stock gears man I wouldn't take that thing cross country maybe I'd swap tires for smaller ones if absolutely necessary. And 8 inches of lift really???? I would be scared to trail at that height that's mall crawler height right there. I was recently in the market for a new xj I had a $3k budget. I found some good looking rigs within my budget all lifted and such and although it was tempting I went with a stocker. I'd rather build something myself my way than take on somebody else's project. Jeeps are built not bought man you have a budget that can turn a stocker into a beast in no time.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Thank you for your service, and let us do our service for you, we strongly recommend getting a stock one, do maintenance on it (fluid change, plugs, etc) and drive it to California. Then u can start building it the exactly way u want it to be. When u buy somebody else's jeep, u are buying their problem and it most likely won't have what u really want.

Other than usual frowns regarding stock gears with 37"s on 8 inch lift, you also have way less balance when ur driving, especially on the highway, ESPECIALLY on stock width axles. I wouldn't risk it at all.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Really appreciate all the response and advice. Just got a lot of thinking to do. I love the xj I have now to death. The old girl just wouldn't make the drive to California or believe me Id take her in a minute. 😩

I've just got a lot to take into consideration and a lot of searching to do. No matter what though I will always have a spot in my heart for the XJ.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting situation