I need help from you guys in the 'US of A'

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I need help from you guys in the 'US of A'

Gidday from down here, near the the bottom of the world.

I apologise in advance if I sound like a novice,......

I have a friend who is soon to be travelling to the U.S to buy some classic car parts. I am wanting him to pick me up a rear Dana44 for my 00' XJ.

I am wanting to know if I send him looking for a "rear Dana44 diff from an XJ Cherokee" will he be sucsessful?? Did Jeep make Dana44's for the Cherokee, or just Dana35's and Chrysler diffs

Should I just send him get a Dana44 from a TJ Wrangler??

I would appreciate any help on this topic
Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

They put Dana 44 rear axles in some '87-'89 xjs, their out there but the cost will probably be a little high because it's a sought after axle.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Like lluminator said, he'll be hard pressed to find a D44 out of an XJ. Maybe look for a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25" they're about as strong and much more common. Also, how will he go about shipping the axle back, seems like it'd be expensive?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 AM

My friend grabs a 30 foot shipping container, and loads it up with all sorts of bits. He often brings in imports complete Chev and Ford pick-ups, and fills the trays with the second hand parts (then there is no import duty tax).

He usually phones a number of vehicle wreckers in the U.S before heading over and lines up the parts to buy before he arrives, then there is less ******** about while he is the States, and all he has to do is arrange shipping.

That's why I was hoping to give him exactly the part I require, before he goes, so that the diff is located and sourced when he arrives. I just pay him a fraction of the shipping cost for the container, (and the diff of course)
Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by theolebill
My friend grabs a 30 foot shipping container, and loads it up with all sorts of bits. He often brings in imports complete Chev and Ford pick-ups, and fills the trays with the second hand parts (then there is no import duty tax).

He usually phones a number of vehicle wreckers in the U.S before heading over and lines up the parts to buy before he arrives, then there is less ******** about while he is the States, and all he has to do is arrange shipping.

That's why I was hoping to give him exactly the part I require, before he goes, so that the diff is located and sourced when he arrives. I just pay him a fraction of the shipping cost for the container, (and the diff of course)
The XJ D44 is quite rare - it was only really used 1987-1989, and only in the XJ with the "heavy-duty" tow package.

They're a bit more common in the MJ - but that will require relocation of the leaf spring perches (the XJ is SOA, eJ is SUA,) and I think you may need to move the shock damper brackets as well.

Other relatively common swaps:

The AMC20 was found in the MJ, particularly under the "Metric Tonne" package (payload cap 2204#.) The AMC is comparable in strength - centrally - to the D44, but does suffer from using 2-pc axle shafts (the flange bolts on to the hub.) The lug pattern should be the same, and similar caveats to swapping in the MJ D44 apply (know that you're also likely in for a driveshaft swap as well. The MJ D44 will work with the XJ D44 rear driveshaft if you can find one - but there is no equivalent for the AMC20.)

The later Explorer axle (Ford 8.8") is a common mod, but you will to get a driveshaft done (the later 8.8" uses a companion flange for the rearmost Cardan joint) and most of the bracketry will want to be moved. Also, if you get a rear disc version, you'll need to swap master cylinders (I don't recall what the common swap is, but the rear brakes will require more working volume than the drum brakes.)

The later SJ also has D44 fore and aft - I believe the lug pattern will be the same, the front drop is on the correct side, and you can just move the brackets from the front D30 to the front D44, with a little grinding.

The later (1970-1980?) Scout also tends to feature either a D44/D30 or D44/D44 combo.

The earlier U-100 Bronco tends to feature a Ford 9"/D44 combo - so you're getting a good pair.

I do believe that the SJ and Explorer axles have the same lug pattern as the XJ, and getting the pair from under the U-100 or Scout will end you up with matching lug patterns anyhow.

But, if you upgrade the axle, you're going to move to a longer pinion - which means that the driveshaft will want to be shorter, with the same ride height. And, most of these axles are comparable in width to the XJ (which runs 60.25" WMS-WMS.)

If you go for axles from a full-size pickup, I should mention:
- The axles are going to be a few inches wider than stock - plan accordingly. This could mean a change in wheel offset, the addition of mud/stone flaps, or whatever else you'll have to do to comply with your local laws & regs.)
- Most full-size light trucks will have a different lug pattern than the XJ - get both axles if you can.
- Don't forget that the front axle will require having the differential on the same side as the XJ. You can't flip the housing over - you'll starve the bearings for oil...

That's the short form, anyhow. But, I hope that helps you with your upgrade -getting parts shipped down to the Antipodes can be murder (even shipping small parts is a pain!)

G'day!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by 5-90
The XJ D44 is quite rare - it was only really used 1987-1989, and only in the XJ with the "heavy-duty" tow package.

They're a bit more common in the MJ - but that will require relocation of the leaf spring perches (the XJ is SOA, eJ is SUA,) and I think you may need to move the shock damper brackets as well.

Other relatively common swaps:

The AMC20 was found in the MJ, particularly under the "Metric Tonne" package (payload cap 2204#.) The AMC is comparable in strength - centrally - to the D44, but does suffer from using 2-pc axle shafts (the flange bolts on to the hub.) The lug pattern should be the same, and similar caveats to swapping in the MJ D44 apply (know that you're also likely in for a driveshaft swap as well. The MJ D44 will work with the XJ D44 rear driveshaft if you can find one - but there is no equivalent for the AMC20.)

The later Explorer axle (Ford 8.8") is a common mod, but you will to get a driveshaft done (the later 8.8" uses a companion flange for the rearmost Cardan joint) and most of the bracketry will want to be moved. Also, if you get a rear disc version, you'll need to swap master cylinders (I don't recall what the common swap is, but the rear brakes will require more working volume than the drum brakes.)

The later SJ also has D44 fore and aft - I believe the lug pattern will be the same, the front drop is on the correct side, and you can just move the brackets from the front D30 to the front D44, with a little grinding.

The later (1970-1980?) Scout also tends to feature either a D44/D30 or D44/D44 combo.

The earlier U-100 Bronco tends to feature a Ford 9"/D44 combo - so you're getting a good pair.

I do believe that the SJ and Explorer axles have the same lug pattern as the XJ, and getting the pair from under the U-100 or Scout will end you up with matching lug patterns anyhow.

But, if you upgrade the axle, you're going to move to a longer pinion - which means that the driveshaft will want to be shorter, with the same ride height. And, most of these axles are comparable in width to the XJ (which runs 60.25" WMS-WMS.)

If you go for axles from a full-size pickup, I should mention:
- The axles are going to be a few inches wider than stock - plan accordingly. This could mean a change in wheel offset, the addition of mud/stone flaps, or whatever else you'll have to do to comply with your local laws & regs.)
- Most full-size light trucks will have a different lug pattern than the XJ - get both axles if you can.
- Don't forget that the front axle will require having the differential on the same side as the XJ. You can't flip the housing over - you'll starve the bearings for oil...

That's the short form, anyhow. But, I hope that helps you with your upgrade -getting parts shipped down to the Antipodes can be murder (even shipping small parts is a pain!)

G'day!

WOW - Thanks 5-90, that's exactly the information I was looking for.... Fantastic....

I think I will attempt to get a D44 from an MJ. The bracket swap for the SOA, etc, wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks very much for your time, and assistance - it's very much appreciated...

Bill
Old 04-05-2012, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by theolebill
WOW - Thanks 5-90, that's exactly the information I was looking for.... Fantastic....

I think I will attempt to get a D44 from an MJ. The bracket swap for the SOA, etc, wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks very much for your time, and assistance - it's very much appreciated...

Bill
Which is why I'm working on a parts interchange guide for Jeep upgrades. Glad to help!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

A XJ or MJ D44 will be hard to find, I stumbled on a XJ D44 when I was looking for Spare axleshafts for the D35 in my YJ, I Snatched it up on the spot an 10 days later it was under my YJ after I got gears and a locker for it.

IMO you should look for a Ford 8.8 from a 96 an newer explorer they have disk brakes and are just as strong as the D44 an they can be built to be just a tad stronger than a stock dana 60
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
A XJ or MJ D44 will be hard to find, I stumbled on a XJ D44 when I was looking for Spare axleshafts for the D35 in my YJ, I Snatched it up on the spot an 10 days later it was under my YJ after I got gears and a locker for it.

IMO you should look for a Ford 8.8 from a 96 an newer explorer they have disk brakes and are just as strong as the D44 an they can be built to be just a tad stronger than a stock dana 60
The only real headache with the Ford 8.8" is that they're usually C-clip axles - you'll want to get a C-clip eliminator kit for it (if you're "out in the Outback" and you drop a C-clip or snap a shaft, your wheel will migrate away from the vehicle. C-clip axles are retained at the differential end with a C-shder ina counterbore on the side gear. The conversion will retain the shaft with a press-on bearing, just inboard of the brakes. You'll be able to crawl around on a broken shaft, if you have to, and you won't just randomly drop a C-clip. It's uncommon, but it's been known to happen.)
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Mate, go after the one you want.

Ask your friend to bring you a D44 from an 87-89 XJ or 03-06 TJ Rubicon.

For the TJ, you will have to change some perches, but that's easy...

Not sure about parts down under, just in case you want better shafts or re-gear the differential...