How Fast Do You Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default How Fast Do You Drive?

I'm curious about your numbers. I learned to drive in Germany before coming back to the US, so I have a bit of a problem with speed limits. Since I got her in April, I've got $70 for 55 in a 35, $185 for 55 in a 30 in a National Park, and last week I got $290 for 90 in a 65.
I casually drive between 80 and 90 without realizing it, and I regularly hit three digit speeds on the highway.

DON'T LECTURE ME. I know it's illegal, and I know many of you think it's irresponsible, and that I can't react at that speed. I don't even realize I'm doing it because it's so comfortable to me. Anyway, what about you?

Last edited by NewKindOfClown; 08-28-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:38 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

45-55.
In 35 mph ares.

Then85mph. In a 65
Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Anywhere from 5 below to about 15 above depending on where I am, when I'm there, and the road conditions.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

You know the left lane???? Some days i go over there and make people mad! It's a jeep , not a race car.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by radio flyer
You know the left lane???? Some days i go over there and make people mad! It's a jeep , not a race car.
same here lol
Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 PM

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Honestly, I cant stand it when people do whatever speed they want. This isnt a lecture, but have some respect for other people on the road. At 55+ MPH, a blowout is going to cause SERIOUS problems. I had a blowout doing 3 over about 15 years ago (68 +/- in a 65) and damn near killed myself. Right rear went with no warning and the rear went all over the place. I went from one shoulder to the other, back and forth a few times before I got it pulled over and stopped. In this particular spot, if it had of been 2pm instead of 2am, it would have been a nasty, multi-car pile up.

If you gotta do 20 over, do it when nobody else is around to kill when you wreck.

I drive the speed limit to 10 over at the most. Highway, 5+/- over. In town roads where its 35 or lower, I do the exact speed limit always. I dont want tickets, I dont want high insurance and I dont want to run over some kid chasing his ball out into the street. I have a son and hate playing in our back yard (we live on a corner lot) because I have idiots all day long doing 40+ past our house, and its a 25 zone.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Yes, thank you. You sound as condescending as everyone I work with. Not trying to be a dick, but I'm tired of hearing the same thing. As I said, I don't get in the Jeep and think "I think I'll drive 90mph today." I don't even realize I'm doing it.

EDIT: Not aimed at you, bigvig. I understand that, and I'm constantly scanning my surroundings when I'm driving. That's the Army in me. I don't text, I don't talk on the phone, and I keep discussion with passengers to a minimum. If people are around, I do tend to drive slower, especially around pedestrians.

Last edited by NewKindOfClown; 08-27-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 PM

"Not trying to be a dick" Thats a good one.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by bigvig
"Not trying to be a dick" Thats a good one.
I edited my post for you. I typed that before I saw yours.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
Yes, thank you. You sound as condescending as everyone I work with. Not trying to be a dick, but I'm tired of hearing the same thing. As I said, I don't get in the Jeep and think "I think I'll drive 90mph today." I don't even realize I'm doing it.
Maybe drivers education!!! You can't make statements like you have, and expect that nobody is going to respond responsibly!!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 PM

You think people who dont appreciate your "triple digits" on the highway are condescending? REALLY!? Wow man, you just dont get it. If I had you blow by me on the highway doing 100+ Id pull out my cell and call the Staties faster than you were driving. And if you were doing 100+ in Maine on the highway, theyd take your Jeep and impound it and youd be in some deep dog doo. YOURE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE, and unfortunately, the guys like you are the ones who dont get killed, youll kill a wife, mother, child, father, etc.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

I spent my first year of driving on the Autobahn doing 120 in the slow lane. American drivers annoy me because they can't follow basic rules. I know that sounds hypocritical, but if simple rules were followed (like using turn signals and staying in the right-lane when not passing), speed wouldn't be such an issue.

If I'm in traffic that's going the speed limit or a few over, I don't get mad. It's just habit for me to go as fast as the conditions allow, and it is something I'm working on. I'm not full of myself; I'm just matter-of-factly stating why I drive fast. I posted because I'm curious as to whether other people do the same thing.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Before I started driving old trucks I was pretty reckless with my speeds. Now I'm the guy everyone gets pissed at because they're stuck behind me going the speed limit.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
I spent my first year of driving on the Autobahn doing 120 in the slow lane. American drivers annoy me because they can't follow basic rules. I know that sounds hypocritical, but if simple rules were followed (like using turn signals and staying in the right-lane when not passing), speed wouldn't be such an issue.

If I'm in traffic that's going the speed limit or a few over, I don't get mad. It's just habit for me to go as fast as the conditions allow, and it is something I'm working on. I'm not full of myself; I'm just matter-of-factly stating why I drive fast. I posted because I'm curious as to whether other people do the same thing.

WOW You might as well go to DMV and tell them that you need to give your drivers licence back. How about you sign off, and sleep this one off!

Last edited by radio flyer; 08-27-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:13 PM

I'm not getting into this one.

Quick Reply: How Fast Do You Drive?