How to disconnect TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How to disconnect TPS?

I posted another thread about my Jeep driving weird and every once and a while jumping while idling. I will describe the problem again as today I paid very close attention to it.

Problem:
when driving down the road it's fine until I reach right around 45mph then it jumps/jerks pretty hard. It doesn't always do this though. I'd say about 90% of the time. If I let off gas and slow down to 35 mph it runs smooth again. If I get it up over 50mph it jumps every once a while buy not bad. I guess it's acting like it doesn't want to change to 4th or its slipping.

I've been reading older threads and they say it could be the TPS and they say to disconnect it and shift manually to see if it does it. They didn't tell how to disconnect though. Is it just a simple plug? I know you can check it by reading volts and I have a tester. My daddy was an electrician but he passed away one year ago this week at 48. I wish he was here so I wouldn't have to ask. I feel dumb asking questions that most probably know but I do like to learn.

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:01 PM

Or do I unplug TCU?
Old 08-09-2015, 12:34 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
I posted another thread about my Jeep driving weird and every once and a while jumping while idling. I will describe the problem again as today I paid very close attention to it.

Problem:
when driving down the road it's fine until I reach right around 45mph then it jumps/jerks pretty hard. It doesn't always do this though. I'd say about 90% of the time. If I let off gas and slow down to 35 mph it runs smooth again. If I get it up over 50mph it jumps every once a while buy not bad. I guess it's acting like it doesn't want to change to 4th or its slipping.

I've been reading older threads and they say it could be the TPS and they say to disconnect it and shift manually to see if it does it. They didn't tell how to disconnect though. Is it just a simple plug? I know you can check it by reading volts and I have a tester. My daddy was an electrician but he passed away one year ago this week at 48. I wish he was here so I wouldn't have to ask. I feel dumb asking questions that most probably know but I do like to learn.

Thank you.

Thanks for your post.

We’re here to help, but you must understand that all Jeeps are not the same.
In order for us to give you more accurate advice and help, we must know the following, as applicable, along with detailed information as to the symptoms/problems etc:

Year
Model
Engine
Transmission
Transfer case
Old 08-09-2015, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Thanks for your post.

We’re here to help, but you must understand that all Jeeps are not the same.
In order for us to give you more accurate advice and help, we must know the following, as applicable, along with detailed information as to the symptoms/problems etc:

Year
Model
Engine
Transmission
Transfer case
Thank you. I found it by taking off dash. I unplugged the TCU and its not jumping anymore. It's running smooth. I'm going to replace it tomorrow.