help plan my 2wd build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Exclamation help plan my 2wd build

well, i have been tring to sell my 1996 2wd xj to by a 4x4 XJ for a few weeks, and when i finally get around to someone who actually wants it for my asking price my dad changed his mind about letting me sell it. because mine has 41000 miles, and he thinks ill never get another deal like that. So i have come to the ultimate conclusion, that i probably wont even need 4x4 for what i plan to do. and the fact that i only have 41k miles should mean that the jeep will drive for a while still.

so down to business. i need a list of parts and things to do some mild trails and muding.

as far as the jeep goes, i have a white 96 4door Cherokee, 41k miles, I6 and 5spd, also as far as i know i have the C8.25 27 spline. and she is completely stock aside from the sound system.

i will do this build pretty much completely on the information i get from here,(as long as money allows ).

So get to posting all you XJ junkies

oh and ill post pictures and a few more things tomorrow morning. (and i didnt really know which section to put this in, so if this isn't right please tell me.)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Well as any 2wd owner will say, clearance and traction is everything...well at keast thats mine. I have 2wd to that im going to start building up very shortly.

But first off you need to get some good tires, dont skimp out on this. or you'll be kicking yourself cuz all you'll do is spin the tires with no traction and eat them up. SO GOOD TIRES ARE A MUST!

Next part of the traction equation is a locker. since you dont have the front wheels powered to help you out you need all the power going to both wheels in the rear allowing you to get all the traction available out of your tires. If you dont get some kind of locker in the rear, you'll get stuck way too easy.

Then the basic armor and clearance as any offroad rig would have. But the first thing you should do is get recovery points because you will get stuck alot. My set up, i'm just using hooks up front and then a reciever hitch with a d-ring shackle hitch thing. It works very well for me. Its relatively cheap too.

And last but not final thing, is learn to drive haha i dont mean that in a bad way either, being in a 2wd it adds a larger degree of difficulty to obsticals, so you cant just point and floor it like you can with a 4wd. Your going to have to figure out the best line that has the least amount of chance to get stuck, and learning to say crap theres no way i can do that. You'll find that there are several things that a 2wd will suck at, from what i have found. Sand, mud, large rocks, and hills. But if you pick the right line and in the right times momentum is your friend you can get through alot.

Hope this helped some
Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Why don't you guys start a build thread and convert the 2wd in 4wd...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 AM

PICTURES!!!!(click on em)

Last edited by utfan; 06-29-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: more pictures!!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
Well as any 2wd owner will say, clearance and traction is everything...well at keast thats mine. I have 2wd to that im going to start building up very shortly.

But first off you need to get some good tires, dont skimp out on this. or you'll be kicking yourself cuz all you'll do is spin the tires with no traction and eat them up. SO GOOD TIRES ARE A MUST!

Next part of the traction equation is a locker. since you dont have the front wheels powered to help you out you need all the power going to both wheels in the rear allowing you to get all the traction available out of your tires. If you dont get some kind of locker in the rear, you'll get stuck way too easy.

Then the basic armor and clearance as any offroad rig would have. But the first thing you should do is get recovery points because you will get stuck alot. My set up, i'm just using hooks up front and then a reciever hitch with a d-ring shackle hitch thing. It works very well for me. Its relatively cheap too.

And last but not final thing, is learn to drive haha i dont mean that in a bad way either, being in a 2wd it adds a larger degree of difficulty to obsticals, so you cant just point and floor it like you can with a 4wd. Your going to have to figure out the best line that has the least amount of chance to get stuck, and learning to say crap theres no way i can do that. You'll find that there are several things that a 2wd will suck at, from what i have found. Sand, mud, large rocks, and hills. But if you pick the right line and in the right times momentum is your friend you can get through alot.

Hope this helped some

ya i knew i would need a locker, what is the best deal for your money for the 27 spline. will Aussie's work? because i heard they were for 29 spline, and they are the only lunchbox locker that i really know of. also i didn't know how big of a deal the tire would be, i was hoping to grab some cheap 31's. so what is a good tire?

and as far as a 4x4 conversion, its to much work and i am to lazy

Last edited by utfan; 06-29-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I agree with your DAD, 1996 XJ with 41000, is something you keep. Build just as you would if it were 4wd. You do not need 4wd to have a excellent trail rig, See PRE-RUNNER. What you need is Ground clearance, traction, protection and recovery. If you want to run 31" tire look to lift to about 3.5" or so. Lockers are available for 27 spline, look at Lockright or Spartan.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM

i kind of know what i need in general, im more looking for suggestions on actual parts, what lifts are the best for the money, as well as wheels and tires and engine parts.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Mine too is 2wd and ive so far only got stuck when it was a clearence issue. I have an lsd which helps in the mud but no so much on the rocks, get a locker its much better. If you wheel alone id say get a winch, thats what im about to do because i know im going to get stuck again. You can take some hills you would not expect though, ill post a pic later of one i though i couldnt make but was able to. Oh and when in the mud drive straight, turning in the mud will get you stuck or sure close to it.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

those pics look like san antonio.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by superj
those pics look like san antonio.
yup lol, how the f@%k did u know that haha
Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

looks like north of 410 or just inside the inside of hte north side of 410 up on the airport side of town. i geuss it could be by the big market heb and sams club though.

i went to college in san antonio about 10 years ago and since we were broke we did alot of driving around. your in a little older section of town but not the south side where its still kind of dry looking. your in the nicer section of san antonio but since its not a brand new house i know you are not near 1604
Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

sorry, you could be by 1604 on the north side. i looked at hte side view and i see those two story houses. a buddy lives in an area with homes like that
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 AM

close i live near 1604 and 281 next to camp bullis. man good eye
Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran