Headliner question

Old 08-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Headliner question

Hi!
My Jeep doesn't have the headliner or the backing piece that it attaches to.was thinking about some insulation and a piece of 1/4" white laminated board or fiberglass. Not looking for a show queen, just noise abatement and insulation without anything dangling.

Thank you!!
Shawn
Old 08-26-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I'm sure you could make something work, but how about you get a replacement from the junkyard and recover it yourself?

It's a really simple job and a recovered headliner can really class up the joint.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
I'm sure you could make something work, but how about you get a replacement from the junkyard and recover it yourself?

It's a really simple job and a recovered headliner can really class up the joint.
I tried doing headliners back in the 1980s and never had good results. They either came out REALLY sticky or fell right off. Probably something I'm doing wrong though
Old 08-27-2016, 02:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

+1 on junk yard.

If you don't have one at all, you can get any one out of a junk yard, and if you want new, let a shop re-upholster your headliner to the backing plate you get from the JY.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:19 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by supershawnboy@gmail.com
I tried doing headliners back in the 1980s and never had good results. They either came out REALLY sticky or fell right off. Probably something I'm doing wrong though
Shawn I would encourage you to give it another try. A junk yard headliner, a couple yards of headliner fabric, and a couple cans of the correct headliner adhesive (I prefer the 3M Headliner Adhesive, but any legit headliner adhesive should work fine) and you will be a super-hero (as in Super Shawn Boy)...

I have recovered a bunch of headliners over the last couple of years, and FWIW, here is my process (not including headliner removal and installation).
1) After peeling the old fabric off, scrub the headliner board with a dry nylon brush to get the old foam (usually orangy looking) off. Don't get overly aggressive with the brush but getting all that rotten old foam off is important.
2) If the headliner board is damaged, you can use some 5 minute epoxy or even fiberglass resin to repair it, but small creases or imperfection shouldn't be a big deal.
3) WASH YOUR HANDS AND MAKE SURE YOUR WORK AREA IS CLEAN.
4) Lay out the fabric on the headliner to make sure it fits with a couple inches of overhang all around, then fold the fabric halfway over on itself.
5) Spray the adhesive (in accordance with the adhesive directions) on the exposed half of the headliner board AND on the exposed half (the foam side) of the headliner material (be careful not to get any adhesive on the fabric side of the headliner material).
6) With CLEAN HANDS and a helper on one side and you on the other, slowly unfold the material onto the board, working it gently with your hands from the middle outward.
7) Fold the other half over onto the part you just completed and repeat steps 5 and 6.
8) Let it dry overnight, then flip it over, trim the edges to an inch or so, and spray them down and fold them over. Having a several new razor blades makes trimming the material much easier.

Here is how my headliner looked when I bought my XJ. Note the smoke halo; stinky...
Name:  IMG_20160709_090614669_zpswcznsezt.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  4.27 MB

There it is in the driveway after removing all those goofy push pins and peeling the material off. Note the orange foam still stuck to it. I don't have a photo of what it looked like after scrubbing that foam off, but you get the idea...
Name:  IMG_20160709_110616462_HDR_zpsngjgtpma.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  3.97 MB

Here it is after following the above process.
Name:  IMG_20160813_070737665_zpsi7pxpqg9.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  2.76 MB
Old 08-27-2016, 06:33 AM

Default Thank you!!

Originally Posted by RickBois
Shawn I would encourage you to give it another try. A junk yard headliner, a couple yards of headliner fabric, and a couple cans of the correct headliner adhesive (I prefer the 3M Headliner Adhesive, but any legit headliner adhesive should work fine) and you will be a super-hero (as in Super Shawn Boy)...

I have recovered a bunch of headliners over the last couple of years, and FWIW, here is my process (not including headliner removal and installation).
1) After peeling the old fabric off, scrub the headliner board with a dry nylon brush to get the old foam (usually orangy looking) off. Don't get overly aggressive with the brush but getting all that rotten old foam off is important.
2) If the headliner board is damaged, you can use some 5 minute epoxy or even fiberglass resin to repair it, but small creases or imperfection shouldn't be a big deal.
4) Lay out the fabric on the headliner to make sure it fits with a couple inches of overhang all around, then fold the fabric halfway over on itself.
5) Spray the adhesive (in accordance with the adhesive directions) on the exposed half of the headliner board AND on the exposed half (the foam side) of the headliner material (be careful not to get any adhesive on the fabric side of the headliner material).
6) With CLEAN HANDS and a helper on one side and you on the other, slowly unfold the material onto the board, working it gently with your hands from the middle outward.
7) Fold the other half over onto the part you just completed and repeat steps 5 and 6.
8) Let it dry overnight, then flip it over, trim the edges to an inch or so, and spray them down and fold them over. Having a several new razor blades makes trimming the material much easier.

Here is how my headliner looked when I bought my XJ. Note the smoke halo; stinky...

There it is in the driveway after removing all those goofy push pins and peeling the material off. Note the orange foam still stuck to it. I don't have a photo of what it looked like after scrubbing that foam off, but you get the idea...

Thank you very much!! That is a huge help, I will have to give it a try if I can find a headliner backer board.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by supershawnboy@gmail.com
Thank you very much!! That is a huge help, I will have to give it a try if I can find a headliner backer board.
No problem; check out this option, I like it...
Old 08-27-2016, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It only cost me just over a $100 for a shop to do mine in the factory fabric and came out perfect and that removing and the install. If one was already out could be a lot cheaper.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
It only cost me just over a $100 for a shop to do mine in the factory fabric and came out perfect and that removing and the install. If one was already out could be a lot cheaper.
Same here.. it was about $100 and came out looking like a factory headliner.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by RickBois

So I have no head liner any suggestions

I have no headliner any suggestions on doing it or getting one
Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I don't have the backer board though. Essentially, there's nothing to attach it to
Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Junkyard.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tr3y
I have no headliner any suggestions on doing it or getting one
Based on the photo you posted, you do have a headliner but the fabric has come off of it...

As for suggestions, this thread contains several options including recovering the headliner yourself, taking it somewhere, or even painting it like this guy did.

Also, there are many videos on youtube that can show you how the job is done. You may consider watching one (or more). This could help you decide which option is best for you.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Old 09-06-2016, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
What does everyone think about the custom head liners or should
I just do something basic

Search this Thread