ground wire warm. normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default ground wire warm. normal?

So I was messing with my roof lights tonite. Brighter bulbs. And I had them on for a few mins and I notice my ground wire from my lights to my roof wire is geting warm. I have flame resident loom around all the wires and my ground wire is warm is this normal? ?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

how many lights, what wattage, and how large of a wire are you using? Sounds like you're putting too much strain on it.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I agree with no rdplz, sounds like you need a larger gauge wire.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 AM

I have four lights 55w each. Wire is from the kit that came with the lights I thinks its 12-14 gauge wire...maybe if I add anothe ground wire?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

You should only be running 2 lights to a switch, not 4. You're putting too much of a draw on the system and it's warning you by being warm. You don't know if there's any damage to the switch or wires you're currently using so get two switches, two 10g grounds, leads, and power supplies, 2 inline fuses and 2 relays. Here's a simple diagram to follow on setting up each pair of lights:

Generally, with all 4 lights are on your roof, you'll want to pair the middle two together and the outer two together.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:00 PM

I do have them separate like u stated. But the grounds for each light ground to the post of the lights. So I put a ground wire at the end of the lights to my roof. Im thinking of msking the grounds from each light to the roof to be safe...
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by zombiehunter99
I do have them separate like u stated. But the grounds for each light ground to the post of the lights. So I put a ground wire at the end of the lights to my roof. Im thinking of msking the grounds from each light to the roof to be safe...
Yeah, not a good idea to ground them to the light post. You need something more substantial than that for your ground. I would just tie each pair's grounds together and run two grounds to either the roof or down the b-pillar to the lower door sill and ground attach them there. That's how I ran mine and I never had an issue.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM

So I tied two lights to one ground and and the other two to another. Grounds are attached to each side of my roof . Two lights on each side. They seem a little brighter two. Originaly just had my ground attached to my rack and the lights attached with the grounds attached to the mounting point of the lights. Like nordplz stated too much draw for the ground. Now the wires are staying cool.... off topic but this one guy wants my jeep so bad he offered me 4500 for it. Lol I cant sell I love my jeep too much
Old 06-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
You should only be running 2 lights to a switch, not 4. You're putting too much of a draw on the system and it's warning you by being warm. You don't know if there's any damage to the switch or wires you're currently using so get two switches, two 10g grounds, leads, and power supplies, 2 inline fuses and 2 relays. Here's a simple diagram to follow on setting up each pair of lights:

Generally, with all 4 lights are on your roof, you'll want to pair the middle two together and the outer two together.
I do have two switches one for the inner 2 and the other for outers. I mounted my switches in my shifter cover
Old 06-19-2014, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by zombiehunter99
So I tied two lights to one ground and and the other two to another. Grounds are attached to each side of my roof . Two lights on each side. They seem a little brighter two. Originaly just had my ground attached to my rack and the lights attached with the grounds attached to the mounting point of the lights. Like nordplz stated too much draw for the ground. Now the wires are staying cool.... off topic but this one guy wants my jeep so bad he offered me 4500 for it. Lol I cant sell I love my jeep too much
Good deal. And glad to hear you're keeping the Jeep.