Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Front Swaybar

So for those that want to see what the difference in no swaybar in the front. I removed mine completely since bushings were gone anyway. I don't drive it fast on pavement (when its actually on pavement). I understand the safety Factor. Not the point of this thread. This is just to show the actual difference of before and after of sway bar being removed (or if you had disco's). I am not saying you should go do that to a DD. Actually I'm not saying you should do it at all. I'm am just providing an illustration of the differences.
With

Front Swaybar-forumrunner_20120712_142627.jpg

Front Swaybar-forumrunner_20120712_142602.jpg

Front Swaybar-forumrunner_20120712_142654.jpg

Without.

Front Swaybar-forumrunner_20120712_142734.jpg

Front Swaybar-forumrunner_20120712_142751.jpg

Front Swaybar-forumrunner_20120712_142806.jpg

Last edited by BatmanXJ; 07-12-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Looks like the swaybar is doing its job in the first 3 pictures. I hope you don't ever need to make any sudden dodging movements on the highway or on the street to avoid an accident of any kind. Or you're going to have a bad time.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output

All new bushings are something like $30. For the effort it took you to remove the bar it would have been better to just replace them. I've seen some horrible things happen to XJ's without the front sway bar in place.

Last edited by DeadCellM60; 07-12-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Looks like the swaybar is doing its job in the first 3 pictures. I hope you don't ever need to make any sudden dodging movements on the highway or on the street to avoid an accident of any kind. Or you're going to have a bad time.
Trail Rig/ Hunting Rig. Don't hit the highways in it. If I ever need to go on the highways I will put one back in it. It rarely touches pavement. I do have a question for you. How many people do you know that has rolled one specifically because of the Sway bar not being on there? Also How many people do you know that has just rolled and SUV. I think the chances are greater without the Swaybar but any sudden movement in an SUV can cause a roll over. I wasn't posting the pictures to get a lecture on safety. I was posting them for information for people who wonder what the comparable difference in flex actually is.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DeadCellM60
All new bushings are something like $30. For the effort it took you to remove the bar it would have been better to just replace them. I've seen some horrible things happen to XJ's without the front sway bar in place.
Wasn't just bushings. The Links were bent 90 degrees when I bought it. and where the drivers side bushing goes the mount was bent to bad to put a bushing in. My jeep isn't for Highway use. I have 3 other rides for the highway. I am an adult I've seen way worse things because of cigarettes but I still choose to Smoke. If it was a daily driver there is no way I would take it off.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by BatmanXJ
Trail Rig/ Hunting Rig. Don't hit the highways in it. If I ever need to go on the highways I will put one back in it. It rarely touches pavement. I do have a question for you. How many people do you know that has rolled one specifically because of the Sway bar not being on there? Also How many people do you know that has just rolled and SUV. I think the chances are greater without the Swaybar but any sudden movement in an SUV can cause a roll over. I wasn't posting the pictures to get a lecture on safety. I was posting them for information for people who wonder what the comparable difference in flex actually is.
Originally Posted by BatmanXJ
Wasn't just bushings. The Links were bent 90 degrees when I bought it. and where the drivers side bushing goes the mount was bent to bad to put a bushing in. My jeep isn't for Highway use. I have 3 other rides for the highway. I am an adult I've seen way worse things because of cigarettes but I still choose to Smoke. If it was a daily driver there is no way I would take it off.
And you posted why? For people to see pictures? lol Im just glad you know to run it if you go on the road... Hopefully you do... Is your rear one off too?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

By God people. He posted so that all the people asking how does removing a swaybar improve flex get an answer. There are threads all the time asking how to improve flex from someone who is not running disco's or running a fixed sway bar. Perfect side by side photo comparison, Guy said he barely takes it on the road. Good information. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
And you posted why? For people to see pictures? lol Im just glad you know to run it if you go on the road... Hopefully you do... Is your rear one off too?
I plan on running no sway bars. daily driver on the freeway. no steering dampener either. crucify me.
if your steering is upgraded and you've got quality shocks you dont need that ghey junk
Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Atmos
I plan on running no sway bars. daily driver on the freeway. no steering dampener either. crucify me.
if your steering is upgraded and you've got quality shocks you dont need that ghey junk

Uhm.... I could care less what you do but since disconects are only $70.00 running the xj on the road without one is freaking stupid in my opinion. Damper has nothing to do with safety but sway bar does no matter what steering or shocks you have. No sway bar is for offroading, just like having 5psi in your tires is for offroading. You put the air back in before you drive on the road.

Last edited by helmut; 07-12-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by helmut
Uhm.... I could care less what you do but since disconects are only $70.00 running the xj on the road without one is freaking stupid in my opinion. Damper has nothing to do with safety but sway bar does no matter what steering or shocks you have. No sway bar is for offroading, just like having 5psi in your tires is for offroading. You put the air back in before you drive on the road.
come on man all the cool kids run without sway bars. how about I go and test it out and if I dont explode then you agree that spending $70 on discos was a freaking stupid waste of money
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

By God people. He posted so that all the people asking how does removing a swaybar improve flex get an answer. There are threads all the time asking how to improve flex from someone who is not running disco's or running a fixed sway bar. Perfect side by side photo comparison, Guy said he barely takes it on the road. Good information. Thanks.
Thank you. That is exactly why I posted it. To Show a before and after affect. i looked for some actual before and after photos and really haven't seen any so that's why I threw this thread up. I know the dangers of on highway with swaybars gone but My xj is my off road toy and is on trails 99% of the time. I don't care about people telling me its dumb. Daily Driver I proly would want the front Sway on. The back was the first thing I took off and threw away. I guess I should have stated that this thread wasn't for safety concerns lol.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
The Thread is for people to see the difference of with and without. There are many pics of them off but none that actually show the difference. (At least that I have found). Yes rear is off too. If it was a DD or on the road much then I would put Disco's. I still might but right now the only time it goes on highway is when it is getting gas. Next time I go to the shop I will take a picture of the old sway bar and you will understand. The bushings were gone, and the links were bent 90 degrees into the coils and the drivers side bracket was bent to where you couldn't even put a bushing in it. There is no fixing that swaybar.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l

With or without swaybars I've seen more people roll over in honda civics and vw golfs than I've seen in xj's, just putting that out there, if mine wasn't my daily driver I'd probably have mine off too.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

This thread rocks!!

PS, speak for yourself. I don't run front or rear swaybars on my daily driver. I will stilll out corner you
Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991

No front or rear sway bars on my mostly highway dd. Avoided many accidents at 65-75 mph.. also slammed brakes, turned corners fast and had to do some hard lane changes....

5.25 inches of lift, 35x1250x15 general grabbers with 22 psi,

Quick Reply: Front Swaybar