Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded
Default factory PTO winch?

So there is this cherokee that i see around town every so often ( i will try to get a picture) but it is an early early model XJ (low 90's or prior) and it has a flare head attached to the stock steel bumper and a winch where the factory crossmember would be (looks PTO but it is stock hight and i did not see if it connected to the transfer case).

does anyone know if like a special duty service package offered a factory winch?

again it looks completely factory but i have never been able to see who drives it =[ its always parked at different grocery stores whenever i am in a

it looks something like this
Attached Images  

Last edited by 96_xj; 04-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

okay never mind i did a little more work on google and found this:

The system was designed for AMC by Ramsey and was available through Ramsey or a Jeep dealer for dealer intallation. It will accomodate a 6000# winch. $120 for the mounting bracket, which mounts between and to the factory tow-hook brackets. If you look at the factory tow-hook brackets, they have two sets of holes punched in them. You move the brackets forward to the 2nd set of holes, which moves the bumper forward about 3inches. The mounting bracket bolts right up to the other set of holes. The kit comes with a templet to cut a hole in the bumper for intallation of a hawse(also included with the kit) to fair the hole. It also comes with plastic trim peices for the space between the bumper and the grill. Originally, I wanted to to install an 8000# winch but the Ramsey tech people told me 6000# was max design load(12000 with a ****** block). I think it slicker than snot and am real happy with it.

and the factory Ramsey mounting instructions:
http://www.ramseypdfs.com/owners_sea...s/295153-D.pdf
Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks sweet
Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Yah - that's the early "Hidden Winch" option.

There's no such thing as an OEM PTO winch on the XJ or MJ - they never came with transmissions or transfer cases that had PTO options. You'll usually only find the PTO capability on 3/4-ton trucks and larger anyhow, as it's most often used to run hydraulic power source pumps (ever see that big honkin' snout on the front of rubbish trucks? That's a variation on the PTO hydraulic pump - it just happens to be directly coupled to the nose of the crankshaft, instead.)

PTO options (Power Take-Off, by the way. It's a means to tap power directly from the engine via the drivetrain...) is also found on farm & garden equipment - just for different reasons (it's the more efficient way to drive accessories that need large amounts of power - you'd either cook or throw a belt in short order.)

You can probably retrofit a PTO to an XJ - but it would take some doing. You'd either have to find a transfer case that supports PTO, or you'd have to wedge in a transmission rather larger than intended and adapt it to the engine (the smallest PTO I can think of offhand is the NV4500, and it never came with an AMC-patterned bellhousing. You'd have an easier time bolting it to the Chrysler 238ci V6, since it's based on the LA-Block V8...)
Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 5-90
Yah - that's the early "Hidden Winch" option.

There's no such thing as an OEM PTO winch on the XJ or MJ - they never came with transmissions or transfer cases that had PTO options. You'll usually only find the PTO capability on 3/4-ton trucks and larger anyhow, as it's most often used to run hydraulic power source pumps (ever see that big honkin' snout on the front of rubbish trucks? That's a variation on the PTO hydraulic pump - it just happens to be directly coupled to the nose of the crankshaft, instead.)

PTO options (Power Take-Off, by the way. It's a means to tap power directly from the engine via the drivetrain...) is also found on farm & garden equipment - just for different reasons (it's the more efficient way to drive accessories that need large amounts of power - you'd either cook or throw a belt in short order.)

You can probably retrofit a PTO to an XJ - but it would take some doing. You'd either have to find a transfer case that supports PTO, or you'd have to wedge in a transmission rather larger than intended and adapt it to the engine (the smallest PTO I can think of offhand is the NV4500, and it never came with an AMC-patterned bellhousing. You'd have an easier time bolting it to the Chrysler 238ci V6, since it's based on the LA-Block V8...)
There where a few years that did come with a PTO.

Just not in this country
Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
There where a few years that did come with a PTO.

Just not in this country
Izzat so? Which ones, and where?

I know there were some odd variants for overseas markets - like the D44/D44 + winch variation in earlier 242ci years for South America (it's a vehicle tax thing - going with heavy axles fore and aft and mounting a winch from the factory put it in the "truck" bracket vice the "car" bracket - and it was taxed rather less...)
Old 04-24-2010, 03:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

that i am not sure of. I have seen 3 some where in my infinate internet traveling. they where on the forums (not this one). 2 guys where tring to get a winch work off of it and the other was happy as **** because he didnt need an sye, ever.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Still, I like that! I think it's a good idea, and looks pretty sweet. (Are they still available?)......... JMO!