Doors off an XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8
Default Doors off an XJ?

Alright so I have done a bunch of research on taking the doors off of an XJ. Some say it will cause damage to the body because it is a uni body and the doors play a big role in the structural stability of the rig, others say the damage would be so minor you wouldn't even notice. What is your opinion?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by X86cherokeeX
Alright so I have done a bunch of research on taking the doors off of an XJ. Some say it will cause damage to the body because it is a uni body and the doors play a big role in the structural stability of the rig, others say the damage would be so minor you wouldn't even notice. What is your opinion?
I dont use mine.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:14 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Everyone knows if you take your doors off your unibody will fold in half like a taco...LOL
Old 05-20-2014, 09:18 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

If the doors were an integral part of the integrity of the uni-frame construction, don't you think they would be a ***** to open and close all the time?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:19 PM

A lot of people said it will fold in half, but I see a ton of people do it without a roll cage and they have no problem
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 PM

Have you had any issues?
Only mental ones......

Drugs have helped though.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l inline 6 stock

Spend $100 and get frame stiffeners if your worried about it.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
If the doors were an integral part of the integrity of the uni-frame construction, don't you think they would be a ***** to open and close all the time?
Thats the issue with taking them off. The frame will bend and tweak a little bit and make it a pain in the *** to open and close
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by gotsnowboards
Spend $100 and get frame stiffeners if your worried about it.
What brand would you recommend? I have thought about that but I really don't know a whole lot about them and which one is the best.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 PM

Thats the issue with taking them off. The frame will bend and tweak a little bit and make it a pain in the *** to open and close
Quit worrying about it.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Quit worrying about it.
I will probably end up taking them off either way. I use it for nothing but wheelin anyways.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96

The problem with taking them off is not the uni body twisting its the hinges that cause them to be a pain to open and close. The hinges tend to pull away from the body and twist because they have been weekend by being cut and the constant on and off with the doors. Just take a bfh pound them back throw a weld on and enjoy going doorless from time to time
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by zkeifer
The problem with taking them off is not the uni body twisting its the hinges that cause them to be a pain to open and close. The hinges tend to pull away from the body and twist because they have been weekend by being cut and the constant on and off with the doors. Just take a bfh pound them back throw a weld on and enjoy going doorless from time to time
That makes sense. Thank you
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Whoever started this myth needs to stick their head back in the sand and stop with the mindless face noise.

It is a load of ****. Here's why:

That's the striker where the door latches. People are running around spouting off the - quite frankly appalling - notion that somehow a piece of sheet metal hung loosely enough that you can move it in place when it's properly latched will somehow contribute to structural rigidity.

This is somewhat akin to saying that if you break a rib, your spine will snap! Nothing changes other than the squishy bits inside are more vulnerable.

"Well the door didn't move when it was new!"

That's because the hinge pins weren't worn and the weather gasket holds the door in place. Yes that's right... a little strip of neoprene.

Damn really dude? I guess I should make sure I get in and out of my Jeep with the door closed, lest I want my frame bent.

Jesus... I didn't think I was THAT overweight.

The process you describe is normal for a Jeep XJ with uniframe construction. That's right: It's not a unibody.

A caveat of this design is that physical forces are offloaded from the uniframe into the body. Over time metal fatigues and the welded assembly flexes more easily. With stress and age (and certainly rust) the assembly can and does permanently warp. Regardless of whether or not there's a 70 pound meat shield dangling off of the side.

If anything removing your doors should improve the health of the A and B pillars as there won't be any heavy crap trying to rip holes in the bottom half. However if you roll your XJ there's nothing stopping the roof from smashing your face in, either.

Cheers
Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Whoever started this myth needs to stick their head back in the sand and stop with the mindless face noise.

It is a load of ****. Here's why:

That's the striker where the door latches. People are running around spouting off the - quite frankly appalling - notion that somehow a piece of sheet metal hung loosely enough that you can move it in place when it's properly latched will somehow contribute to structural rigidity.

This is somewhat akin to saying that if you break a rib, your spine will snap! Nothing changes other than the squishy bits inside are more vulnerable.

"Well the door didn't move when it was new!"

That's because the hinge pins weren't worn and the weather gasket holds the door in place. Yes that's right... a little strip of neoprene.

Damn really dude? I guess I should make sure I get in and out of my Jeep with the door closed, lest I want my frame bent.

Jesus... I didn't think I was THAT overweight.

The process you describe is normal for a Jeep XJ with uniframe construction. That's right: It's not a unibody.

A caveat of this design is that physical forces are offloaded from the uniframe into the body. Over time metal fatigues and the welded assembly flexes more easily. With stress and age (and certainly rust) the assembly can and does permanently warp. Regardless of whether or not there's a 70 pound meat shield dangling off of the side.

If anything removing your doors should improve the health of the A and B pillars as there won't be any heavy crap trying to rip holes in the bottom half. However if you roll your XJ there's nothing stopping the roof from smashing your face in, either.

Cheers
Well stated and very true.

Quick Reply: Doors off an XJ?