Does concrete kill batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Does concrete kill batteries?

My grandpa used to always caution me against leaving a battery sitting directly on concrete. He said it ruined them to do that. He always yelled at me to put a piece of plywood between the garage floor and the battery if I had to set it down.

I hadnt given that much thought until the past week. I bought a used battery at a junk yard and it would just not hold a charge. Guess what? It was sitting on the concrete floor when I bought it. Maybe grandpa was right?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by scott357
My grandpa used to always caution me against leaving a battery sitting directly on concrete. He said it ruined them to do that. He always yelled at me to put a piece of plywood between the garage floor and the battery if I had to set it down.

I hadnt given that much thought until the past week. I bought a used battery at a junk yard and it would just not hold a charge. Guess what? It was sitting on the concrete floor when I bought it. Maybe grandpa was right?
I know a guy that works for a battery shop, the batteries that are manufactured now do not have that problem. Well, maybe I should say, should not have that problem. I cant quote exactly how he put it, but something about newer ones having a plate added that prevents the discharge normally associated with putting a battery directly on the ground or on concrete.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

i do that in case of the acid drippin!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by truckntractorhick
i do that in case of the acid drippin!
I agree with this. I'd be more worried about acid leaking and damaging the concrete than the concrete draining the battery.

As for the battery not holding a charge, that's the risk you take when you buy used.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

No im showing how young and nieve i am, but why would leaving a battery sitting on the ground discharge it, draining the batterY??
Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Modern day batteries will not be discharged if left on concrete. I read this a while ago, and I'll post it here.

Originally Posted by www.interstatebatteries.com
This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies
Old 09-01-2010, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

yup. a day late but i used to work in a battery shop and you can set it on the concrete with no issues
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

I must have just got a bad battery then. They sell used batteries with a 90 day warranty at this scrap yard so I just took it back and swapped it. I did make sure to get one that wasnt on the floor just in case grandpa was watching!