Custom XJ Trailer Concept

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Custom XJ Trailer Concept

OK, I know this is a little crazy, but I have this idea to create a trailer out of the back-end of two 2-door XJ's. The idea is to have an off-road capable trailer, that matches my XJ, and can be used for either a gutter mount roof rack or tent. Other benefits would include being able to use the 20 gallon gas tank for additional fuel storage (rather than mount jerry cans). Here's an amateur mock-up of the concept, with many thanks to my daughter and her Paint skills in making this a presentable image:

Name:  3b_zps4455eb0e.jpg
Views: 6621
Size:  50.4 KB

The thing is I do not have the skills/know-how to build this myself. I could do a lot of the finish work, but the cutting, welding and design/build of the trailer assembly are well beyond me.

I'm interested in any thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions on the concept:
What do you think of the overall idea (appearance, functionality, etc.)?
What do you think it would cost to have built (welding, etc.)?
How would I go about finding someone to do the work?
Any specific ideas or suggestions on how to go about building the thing?
Are they any potential drawbacks to the idea?

Any and all comments, positive or negative, will be appreciated. This would be a massive and expensive project and I would rather have as many perspectives as possible before undertaking.

Thanks for taking a look

Last edited by TXDESSI; 01-26-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see how it turns out I have seen it done with a tj but never an xj
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if you use the bed from a Comanche and a cap it will prob save you a ton of fab work and time
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

If you look over on NAXJA this has been done.. but I would hate to think how much it would cost to pay someone to do all the work for you. I am normally really reasonable on my fab work.. and I wouldnt even think about touching a project like this. It akes a lot of work, especially to make it look nice. A rough estimate would be around 3-5k depending on what all you want, and that is for labor.. not counting the stuff to wire, and make it a funstional trailer.

As far as labor hours.. you are roughly looking at 40-60 hrs of labor plus paint and body work.

Last edited by PingPong; 01-26-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thekid320
And if you use the bed from a Comanche and a cap it will prob save you a ton of fab work and time
I had thought about that. But I would plan to put a fair amount of weight on the roof. For example, with a roof top tent (+ me and my wife in it) would be well over 500 pounds. Not sure a camper shell could handle it.

Last edited by TXDESSI; 01-26-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by PingPong
If you look over on NAXJA this has been done.. but I would hate to think how much it would cost to pay someone to do all the work for you. I am normally really reasonable on my fab work.. and I wouldnt even think about touching a project like this. It akes a lot of work, especially to make it look nice. A rough estimate would be around 3-5k depending on what all you want, and that is for labor.. not counting the stuff to wire, and make it a funstional trailer.

As far as labor hours.. you are roughly looking at 40-60 hrs of labor plus paint and body work.
That is pricy, but maybe not unreasonable when you consider the cost of a pre-built off road trailer. Like the Sierra box trailers http://www.sierra4x4trailers.com/pricing/ run $4-$5k. And these are smaller with no roof mounting functionality.

All-in, the custom XJ trailer would certainly cost more but the additonal benefits might be worth the additional cost. Oh, and I can do the painting myself, so would save me a few bucks

Last edited by TXDESSI; 01-26-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by PingPong
If you look over on NAXJA this has been done.. .
I did see an image of one very similar on NAXJA. On that one (which looks awesome by the way). It looks like they used the back of one 2-door (from the door jamb, back) and then used the back of a Comanche cab to fab a front for it. What I would be hoping to build is a trailer that is a few feet longer (keeping most if not all of the original roof length), then attaching a functioning hatch to front.

I didn't notice until I just now went back and looked, that the guy that did it actually suggested the two-hatch approach in his post on NAXJA. So that part of the idea is not as original as I thought.

Last edited by TXDESSI; 01-26-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: additional informatioon
Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

If it was me.. I would personally build the base of the trailer out of 2x4x.25 tube.. then build a frame out of 1.5x.120 tubing, then skin it using xj sheetmetal that way you can adjust the length and placement of items for storage and usefullness.

I think using the old fuel tank to sotre fuel in is a touch sketchy.. In my almost 10 yrs of wheeling I have yet to be so far in the woods that I couldnt run all day on one tank of fuel (I dont turn my rig off in the woods.. once I start it it stays running all day).

Last thing you have to consider is how much this is all going to weigh, and how it will meet your expectations or demands. If you lived closer I would consider taking on this project.. just cause I have a few screws loose and like building different things.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Is it just me or does this seem like a total waste of two 2 doors? They're rare enough as it is.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by motorcharge
Is it just me or does this seem like a total waste of two 2 doors? They're rare enough as it is.
You are right about that. My XJ is a 2 door and it took me awhile to find one with a 4.0, 4WD, and reasonably priced - then I had to drive to Austin to get it. Anyway, if I do this project I would only use XJ's that we're being parted out or headed to the junkyard. Wouldn't you agree that If the donor 2 doors would be crushed otherwise, then I shouldn't feel too quilty using them for this project?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

If they're in good enough shape to be used for this then they're in good enough shape for a build imo. I guess if you were lucky enough to find two that had major front end damage it's not so bad.

And fwiw I'm not trying to knock your XJ trailer idea, I just have always really liked 2 doors and they're getting harder and harder to find anyway.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 HO

This has been done in Aus too. I wanted to do this, but cost wise was out of my reach.

Name:  normal_on_the_way_to_coffs_zpsa7298f9e.jpg
Views: 4024
Size:  47.5 KB
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by bruggz351
This has been done in Aus too. I wanted to do this, but cost wise was out of my reach.
It just looks kinda funny towing a trailer with the same rear end in my opinion, but eh not a bad idea. I have a two door so I feel the passion as well. That being said I agree with the Comanche idea, why not just make the front lip carry all the tools and stuff with a light cargo area box deal that most trucks have now, and put the tent in the bed? Or just sleep on top of your rig? I wanna see this happen either way
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
It just looks kinda funny towing a trailer with the same rear end in my opinion, but eh not a bad idea. I have a two door so I feel the passion as well. That being said I agree with the Comanche idea, why not just make the front lip carry all the tools and stuff with a light cargo area box deal that most trucks have now, and put the tent in the bed? Or just sleep on top of your rig? I wanna see this happen either way
All good ideas, but not exactly what I'm going for. This isn't just for wheeling or an overnight at a campground. The idea is to build a self-contained exepedition trailer with everything needed for long-term, back-woods camping. In addition to the tent it will have a camp stove, generator, CB, hunting & camping gear, and so on. Putting the tent on the trailer (rather than the Jeep) is so we won't have to break down the tent/camp everytime we want to move the Jeep.

I just realised it was pretty dumb of me to ask for feedback but not really say what I was going to use it for. Sorry about that. Anyway, here's a more elaborate mock-up of what I hope to accomplish.

Name:  3d_zpsb5786c69.jpg
Views: 8080
Size:  1.00 MB
Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 renix

I like it so far. subd. deff wanna see you succeed and pull this off. although I would probably swap out the tailights on the trailer for the ofroad style with the round led lamps. would kinda throw off the whole trailer looking exactly like your rigs rear end issue.....if you find this an issue. just my $0.02.

Quick Reply: Custom XJ Trailer Concept