Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Cherokee or Wrangler

Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherokee or Wrangler

I have some questions, so I guess I'll just start off general and I know I am on a Cherokee forum so it'll probably be Cherokee answers, but that's fine with me. I love Cherokees, I guess that why I can't make my mind up. What is better, Cherokee or wrangler? Could you list pros and cons of your choice, thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

What do you want to do with it? I've owned and wheeled a '01 Cherokee, '88 Comanche, and '93 Wrangler (current). I like all three for different reasons. They all have pros and cons.

On road, offroad, or both? What weather and terrain? Just you, or do you have a significant other and/or kids? Would you bring them offroad with you?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:28 PM

It'd be a daily drive and took offroad to, daily driven more though. I'm in the south so there's not much difference in the weather except in winter. I will need some space because I have a significant other, a brother, and a mom that would definitely want to wheel with me. The terrain is really just mountains. Some rock, some dirt, and some in between.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

The newest wrangler id ever own is a tj,The yj and older cjs are nice also but harder to find not rusted out.The best bang for your buck is the xj you can buy two or 3 of them for a price some wranglers go for.The none jeep options are k5 blazer or full size bronco.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Had 2 grands, 3 Cherokees, 1 TJ. I liked the TJ because of the topless thing. I would have bought another TJ but for the price of just the TJ I have a Cherokee that I built the way I wanted it. Can't beat that.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:43 PM

Yeah, I agree. If I were to get a wrangler it'd probably be a tj. Jks are too much plastic for me, and that's what everybody wants now. I love the xj I just didn't know if the unibody has any cons. I had a 79 bronco, I loved it. But i would imagine it'd be quite a bit of money to make it a solid axle.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by EthanCorrell
It'd be a daily drive and took offroad to, daily driven more though. I'm in the south so there's not much difference in the weather except in winter. I will need some space because I have a significant other, a brother, and a mom that would definitely want to wheel with me. The terrain is really just mountains. Some rock, some dirt, and some in between.
I recommend a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee (XJ or ZJ, or a WJ if you're willing to spend). If you want a Wrangler, look at '04-06 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) vehicles. It'll still be a squeeze for whoever is sitting in back, but you'll have room for a cooler and some gear
Old 02-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Yeah, I agree. If I were to get a wrangler it'd probably be a tj. Jks are too much plastic for me, and that's what everybody wants now. I love the xj I just didn't know if the unibody has any cons. I had a 79 bronco, I loved it. But i would imagine it'd be quite a bit of money to make it a solid axle.
Throw some unibody stiffeners under it, and you'll have nothing to worry about
Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A 79 bronco was a solid axle a dana 44 in the front,The 80-96 broncos was ifs but there is kits now to bolt in a dana 44 and really soon a dana 60 bolt in kit.The k5 blazer is the easiest to upgrade axles on a dana 60 and 14 bolt will bolt right in it.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:59 PM

NewKindOfClown I don't much care for a grand Cherokee. Never liked the body styles. That's the only thing I'm worried about with a wrangler, I like the "doors off, top off" look, but there isn't much room. I really like the xj, my cousin has one and loves it. Are the stock axles tough enough to take offroad?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:04 PM

Andrewmp6 Your right, I didn't realize it was. When I had it, I wasn't very mechanically inclined. I wouldn't mind a bronco or k5, I just don't know if they be daily drivers for cheap
Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

That depends on which axles you have in the one you purchase, and ultimately what tire size you want to run. Doors can be removed from an XJ without too much trouble, and it's a common "How do I..." question on here when the weather warms up. As far as topless, you really can't beat it. I miss my XJ, and I'd like to get another one for a trail rig one day, but there's no way I'd sell my YJ for any XJ.

If you put a roll cage in your Cherokee, you can cut off the top or cut a section out of it and make a huge sunroof.

With stock tires, you're good. With up to 33" tires, you should be fine. If you wanna run 35s or larger, start looking at axle swaps or at least upgrades for what you have.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

NewKindOfClown I don't much care for a grand Cherokee. Never liked the body styles. That's the only thing I'm worried about with a wrangler, I like the "doors off, top off" look, but there isn't much room. I really like the xj, my cousin has one and loves it. Are the stock axles tough enough to take offroad?
you can take the top and doors off a xj... Just a little more work haha. But in all seriousness doors aren't bad to make removable (easier for manual doors then power doors). As far as axles go I'll let someone else cover that.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
That depends on which axles you have in the one you purchase, and ultimately what tire size you want to run. Doors can be removed from an XJ without too much trouble, and it's a common "How do I..." question on here when the weather warms up. As far as topless, you really can't beat it. I miss my XJ, and I'd like to get another one for a trail rig one day, but there's no way I'd sell my YJ for any XJ. If you put a roll cage in your Cherokee, you can cut off the top or cut a section out of it and make a huge sunroof. With stock tires, you're good. With up to 33" tires, you should be fine. If you wanna run 35s or larger, start looking at axle swaps or at least upgrades for what you have.
Dang you beat me.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 PM

NewKindOfClown
I'd want to probably run 35s or 37s, 33s may be fine though. I think I'm leaning more for an xj just because we take a trip to the beach every year, so it would help some as far as packing goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cherokee or Wrangler