Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: V6 2.8L
Default Cherokee Quandary

Hello all,

Life-long cherokee lover and occasional user of the forum here. I really appreciate the community and knowledge that is available here.

To the point: I have a 1986 cherokee, v6 2.8, with a rich history of mechanical issues and home repairs and thefts and so on. Only car of mine (until recently) and a family car that my parents bought brand new off the lot. Long story, and Ill spare the details for now, but the car is kind of in disrepair although it is my daily driver. It has a relatively newly rebuilt transmission, carburetor, etc. Motor replaced at 90k miles... hahaha

I have the opportunity to trade out for a 1990 Toyota 4Runner. 4Runner has more body damage than my cherokee, but mechanically speaking it is better and has some more easily realized potential.

I love my cherokee, but if I have to choose one or the other I am at a total loss. They are both old cars, both need work although the 4Runner is mechanically superior at the moment.

I guess this is like a Dear Abby moment of the cherokee forum, sorry to bring it to this level folks, hahaha
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I can say from personal experience as a very long time Toyota 4x4 owner and only recently moved into an XJ build...
While all vehicles need parts/work at some point, you will generally go further between those things with a Toyota... however, that being said.... when a Toyota 4x4 does need maint./parts, they are generally more expensive to replace those parts. And while there is a big community/following for the Yodas as well... I think the cult type following for the Jeeps has helped to keep a lot more after market companies in the business of making both OEM parts and upgrade off-road parts more so than most other brands (toyotas included).

current example for me... I have a 99 XJ with the 4.0. I'm getting ready to put in a new water pump. Part is only $38 bucks, and is on the front where you can easily get to it without much trouble.
Even if you're not mechanically inclined or dont have the time, a shop will put it in for like 200. On the Toyota, it sits behind the timing belt so you have to tare half the front of the motor apart to get to it. So the cost is almost triple if a shop does it. I've done them before and they're a PITA just because it's so time consuming.
So my point is, the Jeep while it needs more frequent maint. than a Toyota, generally will cost less to maintain over time because 1, parts are cheaper, and 2. for the mechanically inclined, are much easier to work on yourself. I've already replaced several things my XJ has needed myself with very little difficulty.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If it wasn't an 86 with the v6, it's cherokee no question. But because it's the v6, I might lean toward the 4runner. For me, the cherokee started in 87. 84 to 86 don't exist for me hahah
Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martlor13
If it wasn't an 86 with the v6, it's cherokee no question. But because it's the v6, I might lean toward the 4runner. For me, the cherokee started in 87. 84 to 86 don't exist for me hahah
^^ Sorry.. had to comment.... after reading your post I got a visual of the "talk to the hand" pointing at one with your hand over your eyes with the other. lol.

I have to agree with the power plant part though... when I was looking for my XJ, I wasn't even considering anything but the I6 4.0L because of it's solid overall reputation.
If the body on yours is good, maybe a 4.0 transplant? if possible.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I remember reading on here tgat the 84 to 86 engine bay is smaller and a 4.0 wouldn't fit...could be wrong though....either way no 84 to 86 for me hahah
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Well Murphy works his a** into every single room doesn't he? lol... what a seriously uninvited pest he is.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I do appreciate it! I also seem to recall reading, I think somewhere in these forums, that to swap the 2.8 is a little more involved than just a direct swap. Which was another point to the 4Runner in my mind, since a more modern engine is basically a direct swap.

Either way, I really appreciate the input about the price of parts and the ease of maintenance for the cherokee... it is what has allowed me to keep it on the road this long! And it keeps on trucking... I just rolled the dice on it yesterday and drove it 700 miles straight with no issues. Once it's warmed up and on the highway, that little 2.8 runs like a top! Haha
Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

For me, 84-86 are automatic Buick 3800 swap recipients (there are other options, but they're inferior to the Buick imo). If that's not in the cards for you, go with the 4runner.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:20 AM

Again, I really appreciate the input and opinions. It really is a bit of a tough call for me, since both vehicles are cool in their own light, and both are great candidates for restoration and or modification.

Regardless, at this point I am thinking that the nostalgia of my cherokee (the only car I´ve ever really driven, my daily driver and expedition vehicle since forever) far outweighs the potential benefits of the Toyota. So, now I´ve been spending some time reading build threads and other sites on engine swaps...Looking for inspiration, trying to figure out the true level of difficulty and how much time and money it might take. I´m not an expert mechanic by any stretch, but I´m capable and Ive been wrenching on the cherokee since before I could drive, so I think I am going to go for it. I guess I will start asking questions and posting in more appropriate threads at this point, but I am trying to get a good handle on all of the options for engine and tranny swaps, bearing in mind that I definitely want to keep a 5-speed manual in there, and if it is not a large addition to the nightmare, I might as well keep the engine fuel injected. mschi772, I appreciate your stance on the Buick 3800 swaps. I´ve seen mostly threads about 3.4 swaps so far, but havent gone too far down the rabbit hole and would like to learn more about the 3800 potential. Does anyone have any more off-hand knowledge, input or suggestions on resources like good write-ups, build threads, or other websites on the various options for an easy engine-transmission swap/rebuild?

One final comment/question: As Ive been reading through some of the build threads, many of which are quite old at this point, Ive been running in to issues viewing some of the photographs included in the thread. It seems like they are stored by a third party site in some cases, and the pictures dont appear directly in the thread and I am unable to access them elsewhere. Regardless, a build thread with no pictures is so disjointed and lacking in context that it is not too much help. Anybody had this problem on here before?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

regarding the pictures... install the Photobucket Hotlink addon to your browser.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 PM

Heyoooooo, it’s back from the dead. A brief update to this story of vehicle indecision: I was pressed for time, had no cash, and had that sweet 1990 4runner at my disposal so I took it! It didn’t feel great to betray my loyal XJ like that, but I’m sure you understand. Anyhow, until recently I’ve been driving the 4Runner, fixing it to keep in functional and on the road, and then the head gasket blew. The motors in the 2nd gen 4runners (3vzfe, v63.0) are notorious for blowing headgaskets, and this 4runner was no exception. Before I inherited it the heads had been repaired three times. It blew again a couple months ago. I guess my old man had bad luck when it comes to choosing sweet 4WD SUVs one generation of motor too soon. Anyways, the 4runner **** the bed and I know the cherokee has a motor with some life left, and a rebuilt transmission. I’m gonna get that sucker on the road and drive it to Florida. I’m starting to mine the forum again for posts about older model cherokees, and am also open to input and advice on must-do’s and maybes for a long drive in an old car. I already know it’s gonna need lots of work, including steering and suspension systems, before it’s even safe to drive on the interstates for such a long time. I think it has an electrical short that I’ll have to chase... It’s gonna be a Whole Thing.

Needless to say, I’m going to be spending some time on the forum and I’ll probably have some stupid questions to ask! If anyone has a good source of info compiled for these old turds then I’d really appreciate it. I made a similar post in the 84-86 Cherokees thread to drop another line in the water. Any other thoughts, advice, commentary also welcome.