Carls Jr garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Carls Jr garage

So, who needs a garage when there is a perfectly good parking lot at Carl's Jr?
I have been through a lot of rough trails, but today, a curb was a little too much for my rig (haha!). As I went through the drive thru for my tasty lunch, I intentionally went onto the curb a little for the pickup to make the reach easier. When the front tire hit, there was a loud bang in the front end. I turned the wheel back and fourth a little, and there was significant clanking and thumping when I moved it. I got my food, and slowly drove over to the nearest parking spot to look at what the heck was going on. The turn into the spot was a minor one, and while turning, I noted I was not getting a good range at all...when I got out, it was easy to see why...

Isn't something supposed to be attached to that driver side knuckle?
Attached Thumbnails Carls Jr garage-steer-1-full.jpg   Carls Jr garage-steer-2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Default story continued

So I called the wife and had her come get me so I could bring my tools over. That sleeve on the driver side clearly needs to be tigher on the TRE if it is going to work at all. Step one, the bolt on the clamp must move. It needs to either tighten, or break. It chose the latter. It's for the better anyway, because the threads on the TRE are not so much threaded as much as "textured" now. Even if I horse the clamp down, it would still not be something I would drive on.

SO now, I need parts. Call a friend, he picks me up, and we are off! I want to go to a local 4x4 shop and see about just having a tie rod made, with normal TRE's and some DOM tube with jam nuts instead of the stock waggy setup like this one. Unfortunately, they do not have the TRE's that would be needed, so it could not be done today. BUT, they have a waggy D44 in their yard that still has the complete tie rod on it. They'll sell it to me for $40. SOLD!
Attached Thumbnails Carls Jr garage-steer-new-rod.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by FloydXJ; 01-05-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Default story continued

There were some snags in getting the drag link off the old tie rod, but in the end, it all came together at Carl's Jr. It looks a little bit bowed in, so I...adjusted it...with a tree.
Last problem of the debacle - the clearance on the drag link stud and nut is very slim on the passenger side. If I turn it all the way, it actually pops on the side of the coil bucket and jams there. I need to get out and pry bar it back off before I can steer at all. This is obviously not acceptable for street driving, so I am shaving some metal off. Unfortunately, it is getting cold and dark, so I'll finish her up tomorrow, do a quick tape measurer alignment, tighten that darn sleeve up, and be good to go.
It is pretty close to aligned already since it came right off another axle. It drove fine for the couple miles I went.

I was NOT expecting this kind of adventure today
Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Oh yeah...here is that tie rod adjusting tree I referred to
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

That must have been a pretty big/steep curb. Good thing you wasn't driving down the road and hit a rock or something.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: whats left of a 91
Engine: one that makes noise

i think thats a good excuse for a crossover steering setup
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Texas XJeeper
That must have been a pretty big/steep curb. Good thing you wasn't driving down the road and hit a rock or something.
Sadly, it is a perfectly average curb. The sleeve was just ready to go. And I agree it was very lucky it happened going 2 miles per hour a quarter mile from my house. It coulda been a big problem
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jmaxj
i think thats a good excuse for a crossover steering setup
I am planning on getting a DOM tube + TRE's with jam nuts type set up in the end, so I can be more confident in thread engagement...but unless someone wants to do all the work for crossover for free, the new baby in the house demands the money goes to him

The Jeep handles well, so it is hard for me to justify all the things that would need to change, such as working with the inner wheel's proximity, moving the trackbar bracket, a new trackbar, experimenting with what works best, etc.

I should really not even be uncomfortable running another waggy TR - that one has been on a off-raoading Jeep now for 20 years (17 on the old full size, 3 on mine).
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FloydXJ
I am planning on getting a DOM tube + TRE's with jam nuts type set up in the end, so I can be more confident in thread engagement...but unless someone wants to do all the work for crossover for free, the new baby in the house demands the money goes to him

The Jeep handles well, so it is hard for me to justify all the things that would need to change, such as working with the inner wheel's proximity, moving the trackbar bracket, a new trackbar, experimenting with what works best, etc.

I should really not even be uncomfortable running another waggy TR - that one has been on a off-raoading Jeep now for 20 years (17 on the old full size, 3 on mine).
funny, i've bent 3 waggy tie rods on my scrambler back in the late 90's i'm glad they worked for you

but if you wanna build a crossover let me know i've built quite a few for numerous XJ's and a few YJ's and have had no problems with them. i'm sure we can work something out

thats what i usually build, i took the pic before relocating the track bar, and i've actually bent the drag link to match the trac bar once, it was easier then relocating the trac bar.

Last edited by jmaxj; 01-06-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM

funny, i've bent 3 waggy tie rods on my scrambler back in the late 90's i'm glad they worked for you

but if you wanna build a crossover let me know i've built quite a few for numerous XJ's and a few YJ's and have had no problems with them. i'm sure we can work something out

thats what i usually build, i took the pic before relocating the track bar, and i've actually bent the drag link to match the trac bar once, it was easier then relocating the trac bar.
PM sent
Old 01-06-2011, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Just out of curiousity, what would it cost to get a setup like that built?
Granted I can not afford it yet, but now running 33s I would love to have a solid steering setup done just to be safe!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

this is part of the reason why i keep a spare tie rod along with spare front shafts in my rig.

I so wish that cross over was legal in NY. stupid no hiem joint laws
Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bmrrwolfe
Just out of curiousity, what would it cost to get a setup like that built?
Granted I can not afford it yet, but now running 33s I would love to have a solid steering setup done just to be safe!
it depends, i got hookups on all the stuff so that one right there was built for around 150.00, but without hookups one guy did it for 250.00 and most are around 200.00
Originally Posted by Irongrave
this is part of the reason why i keep a spare tie rod along with spare front shafts in my rig.

I so wish that cross over was legal in NY. stupid no hiem joint laws
their not really legal here either, they won't pass inspection but if you get pulled over the cops don't look at them. but it can be done without using heims but its more costly
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM

If you spray paint your heims most inspection shops don't even look at them...
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

it depends, i got hookups on all the stuff so that one right there was built for around 150.00, but without hookups one guy did it for 250.00 and most are around 200.00
Damn thats not too bad..
At what point would you really say its necessary to upgrade the steering?
Old 00 XJ I put on a 3.5" RE lift on 265/75s and it seemed tight and good with stock steering setup..
New to me 99 XJ with 4.5" RC lift with 33s and it seems a little sloppier/rougher? I have only driven it about 50-100 miles after doing a motor swap and am still tweaking/working on some things so I am still not use to it, but between brakes and steering I think better be safe then sorry..