Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Buying my FIRST Cherokee XJ today.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Buying my FIRST Cherokee XJ today.. HELP

I'm about to join the Jeep family today. FINALLY. I've been wanting a jeep for years and it took my little civic breaking down on me to give me the push toward it.
I've been dreaming of a 98-01 Limited. The issue is that I literally have two days to find and buy a Jeep because I need it for work, and I also only have $3000 since this was completely unexpected.. now, I've been researching this car for months now, so I know this is the car I want.
The Jeep I'm looking at today: a well maintained 2001 Cherokee Limited. Owner says the only thing wrong with it is no A/C. Big deal, I can fix that. The other issue I have with it: it's a 2WD. I really wanted a 4x4 but I can't afford any of the well maintained ones in my area, and I don't exactly have time on my side. Anyone on here convert their 2WD?? Worth the hassle and time? Or should I put off any upgrades until I can buy an actual 4x4? Because I do plan on doing a lot of work to whatever car I get.
Second thing concerning me about this car: the dude says it's a 2001 Limited Freedom edition.. I've been trying to look up info on this but all I can find online is that the XJ's came out with the Freedom editions in the 2000 production year, and that's it. Until 2004 when they came out with the Grand Cherokee Freedom editions. Is this dude trying to rip me off or could it actually be a Freedom edition? I know there's nothing extra special about them vs the original Limited, besides the fact that I can say it's rare. I'd just like to know if this guy is trying to make it seem extra special when it's not.
Any heads ups on things I should look for while I'm down there checking it out? I heard the 00-01 models have head gasket issues.. anything else specifically I should be checking out?

Thanks!
AND I'M EXCITED TO JOIN THE COMMUNITY
Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Lots of guys do the 4x4 swap and its not bad. Definitely look into the head as you are correct the 00 / 01 heads love to crack.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by mopacker
I heard the 00-01 models have head gasket issues.. anything else specifically I should be checking out?

I fixed that. It's not a gasket issue, the head casting itself cracks.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

There is nothing wrong with getting a 2wd one. Around here, you can find all the 4wd parts separate for around $1500 in total. You may be able to source a complete beat 4wd XJ for less and just use it as a parts donor. Its a very straight forward swap but is a bit time consuming. I will most likely do another 4wd swap on one of mine if the trans ever dies.

BTW - Both my XJs were bought as 2wd because they were a lot cheaper and in much better condition then most 4wd ones. I would be more concerned about the head cracking on the 00-01 models.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You havent looked at it and you're buying it already? Look over those 00-01 good...seems you're rushing into a purchase and an xj isn't something to rush into without knowing exactly what you're gettimg
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by Martlor13
You havent looked at it and you're buying it already? Look over those 00-01 good...seems you're rushing into a purchase and an xj isn't something to rush into without knowing exactly what you're gettimg
This. I know youre on a time crunch, so its hard... but if you get a sketchy vibe at ALL from the jeep or the owner, walk away.

"I really wanted a jeep, and this was the one i could afford that day" is usually the start of a bad story.

HOWEVER, if it checks out and is a solid rig, dont be afraid of it being 2WD, that conversion isnt exactly a cakewalk, but its pretty straightforward.

Be afraid of the head. Some 00-01s go for ages with no issues... but more than a few havent. The entire time youre looking it over, leave it idling in gear with the park brake on. Take your sweet time looking it over. Any sign over getting hot, AT ALL, and I'd walk.

If its good, cool. Keep in mind, a 2WD with dead AC, should be priced pretty damn cheap.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

You only have 3 grand to work with, which isnt much these days. You want a 4wd but "can't afford any of the well maintained ones in my area". I was in that same predicament before i found mine. Expand your search to include any outside of your comfort zone. You talk of converting the 2wd to 4wd. Remember, you only have 3 grand. That may net you a respectable 2wd, but chances are you wont have anything left to convert it to 4wd, let alone the upgrades, whatever those may be. If you were to buy a 2wd, when will you find the time to convert it to 4wd once you get it? You cant drive it as youre swapping transmissions and transfer cases, unless you have a second vehicle, which doesnt look like an option. Even if you did have a second vehicle, who will be doing the 4wd conversion? You need time, money, and space. Space not only for your vehicle, but the donor. A shop doing the work sounds like a no go in your position as the labor will not be cheap, so if you want a 4wd, look for a 4wd.

When i started out i wanted a Mustang. A 5.0. Nothing else would do. Couldnt afford it yet so i drove a clapped out 82 Granada with a pos straight 6, for $500. It wasnt what i wanted but it got me from point A to point B. Slowly, but it got me there. I eventually got my Mustang, which took much longer than i had hoped. But atleast with the Granada, i still had a job. Priorities.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 PM

Hey guys I know it’s been forever but I just wanted you guys to know I BOUGHT THE JEEP and it’s ****in awesome.
its a 2000 sport, dude still told me it’s a freedom edition but I don’t know how to tell. The manufactures sticker is so worn I can’t read anything on it at all, and the decals have been removed or never existed. anyone know how to figure this out?
I’ve done so much work on it already and have loved every frustrating moment of it.
i put in a new compressor and had to do the wiring for it. New radiator, hoses, water pump, gas cap, serp belts, did a tune up, did all four brakes, replaced some elbows here and there, cleaned the NSS, replaced the pulleys, replaced the fans. Replacing the timing belt tomorrow and still getting the P0705 code.
ive taken this beauty off roading in Big Bear about 10 times already and she kicks *** even with her 2wd disability 😂 got stuck once, did some light rock crawling downhill and she did great. Accidentally got my rear wheels off the ground for a sec at one point but gravity was my friend.
just wanted to update anyone if they were wondering if I actually made the split second decision to buy a Jeep.
I did and I don’t regret it. 🤘🏽
Old 01-15-2019, 09:52 PM

Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

That's a great looking Cherokee!
I love the yellow with the chrome grill. It's a very different look.

Just have to say, and please take no offense, but your girlfriend in the passenger side is kinda a dog?
Cute!
But a dog none the less.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:21 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by DustyWagoneer

Just have to say, and please take no offense, but your girlfriend in the passenger side is kinda a dog?
Cute!
But a dog none the less.
I think she's hot, lol

Does she like peanut butter?

I keed, I keed, lol

my jeep dawg

Old 01-15-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by DustyWagoneer

Cute!
But a dog none the less.
*** boyfriend ***
that’s my Jeep home dog Levi, I’m Mo, nice to meet you all, especially peanut butter

EDIT: I thought your dogs name was peanut butter 😂
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L L6 OHV 12V

Originally Posted by mopacker
Hey guys I know it’s been forever but I just wanted you guys to know I BOUGHT THE JEEP...I did and I don’t regret it. ����
That is one very nice looking XJ!

You can get a build sheet. Check out this link... http://jeepsies.com/jeep-build-sheet/

The Jeep site was down for quite a while. It was back up last week. Who knows if its up now. There is some verbiage on the site about it not working for vehicles older than 98'. But the build sheet pulled up for my 1991 XJ.

I got my window sticker somewhere online too. But I cannot remember where.

Good luck!

Very nice.

Last edited by Rlmx; 01-17-2019 at 03:03 PM.