XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

buying a Cherokee today.. help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default buying a Cherokee today.. help me out!

Well, I have been test driving Cherokees all over town for the last couple of weeks and I am simply going off my own good sense here and that has kept me from buying one yet. I have a lot of hope for the one I am looking at this afternoon. Talked with the guy on the phone last night heres what he has. 2001 Cherokee Classic, 4x4 with 140k miles. Says it checks out on auto check as a 91 (dont really know what that score means) no rust or damage. Good interior and strong engine, but could use new tires. Heres the bad... He said there is a check engine light on and it is due to a small pin hole size leak they can not find in a vacuum hose. I am going to print a error code sheet and attempt to check the code from the dash. What are your thoughts on this.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Sounds like a pretty good deal. How much does he want for it. The proof is in the pudding of course so driving it and seeing it in person will tell you more. If the check engine light is on due to a small vacuum leak and it is in a hose then it usually isn't too big of a deal to just grab some hose and start replacing them one at a time. (not that I have done mine yet lol) Make sure the 4wd works and such. I have an 87 so I am not really sure of any "common" things on the 01's to keep an eye out for though.

Good luck and welcome to the "Jeep thing"
Old 02-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Thanks NewXJAddict. Ive been a jeep nut for a while. We purchased a 2006 grand cherokee in 2006 because we liked the new design. I have always loved the classic cherokee style but could only talk the wife into a grand. I'm getting rid of my 2006 F150 and geting the XJ as my new daily driver... no more car payments... just car repairs. I am hoping by next year I will get an old wrangler.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ken72
Thanks NewXJAddict. Ive been a jeep nut for a while. We purchased a 2006 grand cherokee in 2006 because we liked the new design. I have always loved the classic cherokee style but could only talk the wife into a grand. I'm getting rid of my 2006 F150 and geting the XJ as my new daily driver... no more car payments... just car repairs. I am hoping by next year I will get an old wrangler.
Very cool man!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Adr

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

These Jeeps are fairly easy to fix up, check engine lights are common but just take it for a spin and get it scanned. That will tell you if the guy is telling the truth or just sweet talking you into a bad buy. Also check for rust spots on the roof and the gutter rails.

How much is s/he asking for it?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 AM

He is asking 3300 for it. Also there is a 93 2wd in town that a dealership is asking 2995 for with 140k on it. I have not talked to the dealership yet but once I check out this 2001 I will know better. I think I can talk the dealership down more but I would really like to have 4wd instead. My goal is to buy something today. I have test drove a few in town so hopefully I will have an idea of what is good and bad.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Adr

If you want it for offroading better buy a 4x4 right of the bat. If you don't find one you like just wait it out a bit and the correct one will eventually find its way to you.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 AM

Year: 1994

yeah take the 01' to a shop during the test drive get the engine light read, if its a leak it could be a pain in the *** but you'll have to replace some hoses is all, talk em down to like $2800 or even $2500 it'll be worth it
Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM

Well I am buying the 01 classic. He is drafting the paper work tonight and we are meeting at noon tomorrow to close the deal. I am amped. This thing was in great shape. Drove like a dream and the engine was super quiet compared to the others i have been test driving. He was a real jeep fan as well. He had a white 96 or 97 with over 200k on it as well. You could drive this thing and tell he has been taking care of it. Any way, as soon as I pick it up tomorrow I will take pictures of it and post them. I am selling some parts off my current truck that I am getting rid of to hopefully find a 2" lift and some new tires. I have to wait a few days to drive it though because i have to get tags for it. Oh man how I want to hit the road in this thing.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Well I am buying the 01 classic. He is drafting the paper work tonight and we are meeting at noon tomorrow to close the deal. I am amped. This thing was in great shape. Drove like a dream and the engine was super quiet compared to the others i have been test driving. He was a real jeep fan as well. He had a white 96 or 97 with over 200k on it as well. You could drive this thing and tell he has been taking care of it. Any way, as soon as I pick it up tomorrow I will take pictures of it and post them. I am selling some parts off my current truck that I am getting rid of to hopefully find a 2" lift and some new tires. I have to wait a few days to drive it though because i have to get tags for it. Oh man how I want to hit the road in this thing.
Very awesome! Can't wait to see what you end up doing with it.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 PM

Well I got my 01 cherokee sport today and I have to say I love it. The only problem is this check engine light on. It is a P0455. I did not have time to do much investigating and I did check the Gas Cap. Its new BTW. I need to install my alpine CD unit this weekend as soon as I can fiquire out how to pull the front dash cover. I have plans to lift it a few inches only, I have small kids. But I wont do anything until I fix the check engine light proplem.

Oh Yea... Any tricks to fixing squeaky doors. The front doors are driving me nuts.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

po455 is an evap leak. most of the time it is as simple as your gas cap.
make sure it's on tight, or you can try replacing it and see if the cel goes out after about 40 clean starts. or you can disconnect your battery ground and see if it goes out once you reconnect it and it relearns itself.

turn you key on and off 3 times, but leave it on on the 4th time. this will bring up your code sequence in you digital odo display.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Adr

Well I got my 01 cherokee sport today and I have to say I love it. The only problem is this check engine light on. It is a P0455. I did not have time to do much investigating and I did check the Gas Cap. Its new BTW. I need to install my alpine CD unit this weekend as soon as I can fiquire out how to pull the front dash cover. I have plans to lift it a few inches only, I have small kids. But I wont do anything until I fix the check engine light proplem.

Oh Yea... Any tricks to fixing squeaky doors. The front doors are driving me nuts.
The dash radio bezel just pops off. Yank it from the lowernsection and then from the top.

As for the hinges you can wd-40 them or buy some lithium grease and dab them on it.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 AM

Thanks ADR... I will have to get to work on that stereo soon.

Caged... I have a new gas cap and the light stays on. I have read that people have been finding the problem under the vehicle around the gas tank due to dry rot hoses or loose one. P0455 is for a large leak so I hope i can find it pretty easily.