Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brought the '89 Cherokee home. Now what??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Brought the '89 Cherokee home. Now what??

No real problems on the way home. Drives OK, everything works pretty well. Brakes are great. Power windows slow. Transmission slow to kick down sometimes.

My initial concerns are:

Slow to fire. Turns over nicely, just takes a few seconds to fire. And when it does the engine races up to around 2000 RPM's and then falls down to around 800. Is that normal.?

Although it drives pretty good, no wandering, pulling, or vibration the thing feels like it wants to wobble sometimes. It's not sustained and it seems to come and go at random. Like chassis flex only looser. New shocks are planned. It has new tires. Maybe it's just a Jeep thing, but it sure feels funny. Almost like the rear end wants to fishtail with a touch of body roll. Weird.

It looks like the radiator has a pinhole leak that will need fixing. I'll probably take it out and have it repaired and rodded and the same time. A good boil and pressure check and it'll be good as new. May as well swap out the water pump, thermostat, and belt while I've got the radiator off. May replace the clutch fan with a flex fan.

I noticed some of the vacuum lines have dry rotted, so those will need to be addressed.

Replace the fuel filters and do a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.

Drain and change all fluids and filters. Engine, trans, transfer case, and diffs.

It also needs a new valve cover gasket.

The factory oil pressure gauge isn't working. Either aftermarket or a new cluster. The needle is laying flat and never moves.

Having read through several pages, I'll go over all of the ground points and give those a good cleaning. May as well check the relay box as well.

That should take care of it over the next few months. And those are things I would address on any used car. Being a Jeep newbie, is there anything else I should be on the look-out for?

Great forum by the way!