Bed lining and hiding the wires.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter
Default Bed lining and hiding the wires.

Alright guys so I've decided to bed line the XJ so I don't have to keep tearing up my floor to do rust repair. I'm planning on using Rustoleum Undercoating because I really like the texture. To anyone that has used the Rustoleum bed liner products, did you use a primer? What did you clean the floor with? Did you hand sand everything? How's it holding up? I'm afraid of wires being all over the floor though.

Bed lining and hiding the wires.-forumrunner_20140318_172824.jpg

I was wondering how anyone has his these wires or if you guys have any ideas on how to hide them.

And finally under my dash I have this:

Bed lining and hiding the wires.-forumrunner_20140318_172957.jpg

Its a rubber matting with foam on the bottom. It goes from there up to it seems like that top of the dash. How have people dealt with this? Did you just rip it out? Does it have a purpose?
I appreciate all the help guys.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

My wires run in a bundle along the sides under the trim. Seems like someone has been in to your driver side wiring.
The guy I bought my red jeep from bed lined it and left that rubber stuff but there is not that much of it.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
My wires run in a bundle along the sides under the trim. Seems like someone has been in to your driver side wiring.
The guy I bought my red jeep from bed lined it and left that rubber stuff but there is not that much of it.
Is it pretty loud in your Jeep from road noise? Hows heat from the trans tunnel? Someone had done a bunch of wiring for an analog antenna but it looked very unprofessional so I'd doubt they would've pulled up the carpet. I'm considering cutting out the parts of the rubber matting that is visible, I was just afraid that it served some kinda important purpose.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

It's not loud at all. Typical hum/wind noise as usual from bigger tires. Trans. tunnel you can feel the heat around your ankle area and it's warm to the touch. My ac is 1 window and 70mph...I can't reach the cranks for the other ones
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: Jasper 4.0L

I did it with hurculiner, left lower trim in to hide the wires. Ripped out the foam. Noise is normal. I have 35s. Not bad with radio on, floor mats seem to make a difference. And the heat on ankles really isn't too bad.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I am thinking about using Als Liner for my floor and roof in my XJ. It's suppposed to be good for insulating and noise. I am still reading and researching the liner to make sure it is what I want to use.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

I did this a week or so ago. Ripped out the foam. Ziptied wires up as best I could. Road noise is not that bad. But I can definitely hear that broken hanger bolt for the exhaust alot more. Havent noticed the heat on the ankles. Maybe because its still cold here and always wearing boots and jeans.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I've heard good things about the Al's Liner stuff. I just like the Rustoleum stuff and it's cheap. Between my Jeep, Nissan 300zx, and my better half I can barely afford to own a wallet to carry all my non-existent money in. Thanks for all the replies guys
Old 03-21-2014, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

That rubber mat was cut in mine. It exposes a little hole in the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Bed lining and hiding the wires.-image-80748233.jpg   Bed lining and hiding the wires.-image-1540699143.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 03:41 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

I kept the rubber mat when I yanked my carpet, though mine isn't bedlined at all. Mine's loud as all hell.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Well I ended up just cutting the mat so its no longer in view. I picked up to cans of Rustoleum spray on Truck Bed Coating. I vacuumed it, went over the entire floor with scotch brite pads, and then cleaned it with denatured alcohol. 2 cans did my from the rear seat divider up to the front with 2 coats and I'm really pleased with it. The cargo area I prepped the same way but sprayed it with the Rustoleum undercoating, and I'm not happy with it. It took forever to try and didn't cover well at all. For the 2nd coat I'm going to use the bedliner over it. I'll take some pics as soon as I get back from the junkyard.

P.S. Hey Empty I was reading your build thread for the 2.8 and saw you used some F150 shocks for your lift, what year were they from? Did they well front and back?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:27 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
Well I ended up just cutting the mat so its no longer in view. I picked up to cans of Rustoleum spray on Truck Bed Coating. I vacuumed it, went over the entire floor with scotch brite pads, and then cleaned it with denatured alcohol. 2 cans did my from the rear seat divider up to the front with 2 coats and I'm really pleased with it. The cargo area I prepped the same way but sprayed it with the Rustoleum undercoating, and I'm not happy with it. It took forever to try and didn't cover well at all. For the 2nd coat I'm going to use the bedliner over it. I'll take some pics as soon as I get back from the junkyard.

P.S. Hey Empty I was reading your build thread for the 2.8 and saw you used some F150 shocks for your lift, what year were they from? Did they well front and back?
They'll work with the rear only. F150s have short front shocks due to the coil bucket design. You can pick any year 4x4 F150 or Bronco from 1980-96.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Bed lining and hiding the wires.-forumrunner_20140323_194239.jpg

Bed lining and hiding the wires.-forumrunner_20140323_194258.jpg

Bed lining and hiding the wires.-forumrunner_20140323_194314.jpg

Havent found anytime to take some good pictures but I've got these. It turned out really well and I highly recommend the Rustoleum bed liner. It does scratch off and it's got a really nice amount of grip to it. I haven't got to hiding any of those wires yet, I'm still waiting for it to cure really well. I also got a nice pair of steel rims at the junkyard for practically free, and I painted them black today.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

I wonder what the po of my cherokee used. The stuff on my floor is way thicker then that and shiny.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
I wonder what the po of my cherokee used. The stuff on my floor is way thicker then that and shiny.
He probably used a roll on with a couple coats. My was spray on and I only put on 2 coats, which is what the can recommends. Most of the roll on bed liners I've ever seen are pretty thick and would probably be equivalent to about 4 or 5 cans of my stuff. Or they possibly could've used something with a lot of rubber in it. Mines actually decently shiny, it just looks flat because it was really really cloudy when I took the pictures. The undercoating stuff is more of a rubberized flat black kinda look. The only the I'm worried about is road noise, but then again, I paid for quality stereo components so if its really loud at least I can kinda drown it out, hopefully. Also I was at my local True Value retailer and they have a really nice rubber diamond plating kind of matting for $4 a foot that would be great to use as a carpet or sound deadener. If the road noise is really unbearable I'll probably just use that stuff.

Quick Reply: Bed lining and hiding the wires.