Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Because I Can

I thought it would be fun to start a new long thread that Jeep people will understand, that maybe your co-workers or family or the general public won't understand. I call it "Because I Can." The idea being post stuff here that you do IN YOUR JEEP, or TO YOUR JEEP that you don't feel the need to explain to others, you do it "because you can." It's that whole FREEDOM thing that I love so much. I encourage you all to post stories, photos, or both, or just memes or simple comments.

I'll start with a simple one. We don't get much rain here but it is supposed to rain late tonight, after I am asleep (I do have a job so I can't stay up). However, knowing that rain + desert = mud I am planning to wake up extra early just to, as the saying goes, "Get some mud on the tires!" I have to be at work at 7am but I figure if I leave my house at 5am I can get in some mud fun for a bit before work. Why? Because I can. And if successful there will be pictures some time tomorrow.

Just thought this would be a fun thread for stories and pics. More to come...
Old 01-09-2018, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth
I thought it would be fun to start a new long thread that Jeep people will understand, that maybe your co-workers or family or the general public won't understand. I call it "Because I Can." The idea being post stuff here that you do IN YOUR JEEP, or TO YOUR JEEP that you don't feel the need to explain to others, you do it "because you can." It's that whole FREEDOM thing that I love so much. I encourage you all to post stories, photos, or both, or just memes or simple comments.

I'll start with a simple one. We don't get much rain here but it is supposed to rain late tonight, after I am asleep (I do have a job so I can't stay up). However, knowing that rain + desert = mud I am planning to wake up extra early just to, as the saying goes, "Get some mud on the tires!" I have to be at work at 7am but I figure if I leave my house at 5am I can get in some mud fun for a bit before work. Why? Because I can. And if successful there will be pictures some time tomorrow.

Just thought this would be a fun thread for stories and pics. More to come...
I sold my F-250 for a Jeep XJ because I wanted one.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Why, I just can't believe no one has thought of this before.......
Old 01-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
I sold my F-250 for a Jeep XJ because I wanted one.
Right on. I got rid of a $40,000 car and now drive a $1500 Jeep... because I can. And one day when I have $10,000 into this Jeep and someone asks why, it will be the same answer.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

When I bought my '00 about 4 years ago it was a running but not really driveable deal. Figured I would do a little refresh and that would be that. I came around here looking for some insight into basic repairs. Then I saw all the stuff you guys were doing to your Jeeps. All the options that my Jeep, just a Sport, did not come with. So my little refresh turned into building this European Orvis, Up Country, Limited, Country clone thing. Why? Because I can. Didn't hurt that all you guys have done write ups to help and if you are persistent all the necessary parts can be found on Ebay or Craigslist sooner or later.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

"Why would you add 20 miles to your trip taking an alternate dirt trail from point A to point B?"

Because I can...
Old 01-10-2018, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Kinda like Curry.... I'd always wanted an XJ.... I had a 30k + vehicle before this... but for me it was the boxy, militaristic, no BS, function OVER form styling, old school straight 6 that has always been an attraction for me. And for those old enough to know the term... I also think of the XJ as a just a little badass stomper. That if you know how to wrench, are simplistic enough that you can work on them yourself. Not like the new vehicles these days that you need a PhD just to diagnose the darn thing.

I'm a convert... this is the first American vehicle I've owned in many, many moons... but years ago I drove one, and swore one day I'd have one. And yes, she's given me a few headaches, but I'd never sell her.

One other thing that I think makes our Jeeps rare in the auto world.... is that they look just as good whether it's a shiny modded gem.... or with scratches, dents, and covered in mud from the trails.... not many other ones you can truly say that about. IMHO.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

I also honestly think it's a 100% true statement with our Jeeps in general.... If someone (not a Jeep person) asks us why....it's not only that it's "because we can", but If we had to explain it to them, they wouldn't understand.

I paid a little more for my rust free XJ with only 96k on the clock... and I've put a decent sized slice more into her since then to help get everything up to my standards for a DD... and if something were to happen to her, would I get that back out? No. but honestly not many vehicles you would. So I choose to look at it from the perspective of what would it cost me to have a 4x4 stomper that was much newer? And what would IT cost to keep it going?... And the answer on both fronts is considerably more than what I have invested into my XJ.
Even if I ended up having 10k invested over time to the level of a build that I want like Stealthy mentioned with his... In the big picture, 10k for a vehicle in good condition that can do what the XJ can (and you can work on it yourself for most things).... that's a drop in the bucket compared to what a new(er) comparable one would cost AND getting a few dents, scratches from actually using it is not a big deal. You spend 30,40 grand or more on a 4x4 and most would be a bit miffed to get dents and scratches in them. and/or would be afraid to take them down a trail in the first place.
So in the end, it actually does make sense for what we do with these ol' beasts.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

My goal is to keep it till I can't drive anymore, being older thinking I have another 10 years in me, then soak some young kid for as much as I can when I sell. LOL.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6.0 Mopar

Why did I buy fiberglass fenders in the Northeast?

Because I can.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
I also honestly think it's a 100% true statement with our Jeeps in general.... If someone (not a Jeep person) asks us why....it's not only that it's "because we can", but If we had to explain it to them, they wouldn't understand.
But that's pretty much any car or truck group. Why do ricers, tuners, mall crawler diesels, etc do what they do to their vehicles? Because they can lol...we jeep people certainly don't understand, but they don't understand us either haha.... that goes for any other hobby as well
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L
Thumbs up

My Civic literally gets 40mpg. My XJ gets 14-16mpg. Guess which one I drive more often. Because I can
Old 01-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Didn't find much mud this morning, mostly just water puddles. But I did have some fun after work in 2wd throwing some roost at sunset... because I can...
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martlor13
But that's pretty much any car or truck group. Why do ricers, tuners, mall crawler diesels, etc do what they do to their vehicles? Because they can lol...we jeep people certainly don't understand, but they don't understand us either haha.... that goes for any other hobby as well
okay,,okay... ya got me there... that's a good point. lol... but still
Old 01-11-2018, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
okay,,okay... ya got me there... that's a good point. lol... but still
we tend to just become boxed in on our views, and think everyone else is wrong or dumb hahah....we never stop and think that they think the same about us!!

Quick Reply: Because I Can