Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone else plan on using their Jeep for a bug out vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Anyone else plan on using their Jeep for a bug out vehicle?

That's what my whole set up is about. If SHTF I want to be able go places that I can't be followed easily and be able to live right out of my Jeep if I have to. My SUV tent
The folding cargo carrier that's also a step up platform into the tent
The rock sliders and roof top cargo rack. Right now I'm putting the spare up there, but I don't like it up there. I'm try to figuire a way of building a hitch mount tire carrier that clears the folding cargo carrier when swinging out
Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I do. Im not set up just for that, but it is factored in to my build. Thats part of the reason I went OBDI and am swapping in a carbed 360. No essential electronics that would be effected by EMP or other problems. All I need is 12V to starter and ignition system. Currently using an electric pump, but I am working on mechanical setup. I also set up my AC compressor to be an OBA compressor. As long as I can keep fuel supplied, I can fix most any critical parts. the 360 is durable and parts could be found easily.

I figure my jeep will get me anywhere I need to go and act as a mobile base camp when needed. I can carry enough .22lr to fight a small war and hunt until I wither away of old age, can fit plenty of supplies in the back/on the roof, and can sleep under it for a quick shelter.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
That's what my whole set up is about. If SHTF I want to be able go places that I can't be followed easily and be able to live right out of my Jeep if I have to. My SUV tent
The folding cargo carrier that's also a step up platform into the tent
The rock sliders and roof top cargo rack. Right now I'm putting the spare up there, but I don't like it up there. I'm try to figuire a way of building a hitch mount tire carrier that clears the folding cargo carrier when swinging out
sooooo other then a tent, what else do you got?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

In a true SHTF situation, I intend to rely on my Bronco, since it's dead simple mechanically. An XJ isn't a bad choice, but a diesel of some sort would be ideal.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Hi... I am Bugout4x4, and I approve of this message. lol
Old 04-27-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

This is our Bug Out Jeep.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Working on getting mine there. I currently have it set up so I can sleep in it and I have some survival essentials but for now I don't want to put a bunch of expensive things in there (like tools and guns and food) until I have locked storage compartments. As it is I could load it out for bug out in 10 minutes and be able to survive with plenty of food, water, guns and ammo.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:57 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

yall better pack some hiking boots or a bicycle because you're out of gas in 200 miles, ha ha. My van has a high top, and is green. I'd get some black stripes on it in the woods, and live out of it. Hopefully the last 10 gallons of fuel would get me through a winter, HAHA
Old 04-28-2018, 01:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Originally Posted by kgm
yall better pack some hiking boots or a bicycle because you're out of gas in 200 miles, ha ha. My van has a high top, and is green. I'd get some black stripes on it in the woods, and live out of it. Hopefully the last 10 gallons of fuel would get me through a winter, HAHA
Plenty of abandoned vehicles for me to siphon fuel from with my manual siphon pump. And anyone who needs to travel 200 miles to "bug out" lives in the wrong place. All my bug out locations are less than 50 miles with back up locations at further distances if needed.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Gas is only good for so long, especially now with the proliferation of ethanol. That's why I mentioned diesel above.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 483 Likes on 414 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Yes, I am working on that, or maybe you can call it an overland vehicle too. But I will be able to live out of it. Going through a major rebuild now, but with the new engine I am planning to hit at least 22 mpg on a tall lift and 37s. Currently has a 31 gal gas tank in it so long distance drives are possible even with the crappy milage the engine is getting now. Also has a 1750W inverter in it, dual batteries that are going under the back seat. Front seats recline enough to be like a recliner and are easily removable and used in a camp site with an extension to power them. The big plan currently, and I have priced the stuff to do it, is to have a modular system that can be put in the back and top of the XJ, on a small trailer built for the purpose to be completed by next spring or in the back and rack of my SWB Chevy pickup. The module to include a roof top tent, 270° awning, rollout kitchen that includes a three burner stove (wife likes to cook), bar sink and plenty of counter space. Propane water heater connected to sink and shower spicket in the side under the roof top tent enclosure, 10 gal water tank and I already have an apartment size fridge I use camping and offroad that runs off the inverter.