Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Another "what would you pay", and another question

Hey all, I know buying an already modded XJ can be a pro or a con depending on a lot of factors. I've been looking at unmolested examples to wrench on myself but this one keeps catching my eye. Price seems a little high for something that can't even be test driven, but if the mods were done correctly, does it make it priced appropriately? Thoughts? Opinions?
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5061439198.html

And since I'm already here, I'll ask what your thoughts are on buying an already "fixed up" vehicle?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:11 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Hey all, I know buying an already modded XJ can be a pro or a con depending on a lot of factors. I've been looking at unmolested examples to wrench on myself but this one keeps catching my eye. Price seems a little high for something that can't even be test driven, but if the mods were done correctly, does it make it priced appropriately? Thoughts? Opinions?
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5061439198.html

And since I'm already here, I'll ask what your thoughts are on buying an already "fixed up" vehicle?
Not TOO badly priced, but I'd walk on it. Guy can't even tell you what gears it has. Which means he got it from someone else, and jumped into it. Now it's more headache for him, so he's selling it. You already know it doesn't run and drive. Might be some simple fixes, and it looks clean, but looks can be very deceiving. IF you decide to check it out, take it to a trustworthy mechanic.

Buying one already "fixed up" as you said has it's pros and cons. But I would say more cons than pros, as a majority of people go with the cheapest options available to get what they want. You are MUCH better off starting on the ground floor, and KNOWING what you're getting. My .02
Old 07-04-2015, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Good input, thanks. I'll keep looking, but am going to keep an eye on this one too. Watch the price, maybe see it in person. Can't hurt to look.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

If it doesn't move under its own power, it's a parts car. "Just a fuel pump" is very rarely true. If you can't test drive a vehicle for any reason, assume the worst, and set its value accordingly. XJs are awesome, but they're certainly not rare or hard to come by. No real reason to flush money on a stacked gamble, buying ANY used car is enough of a gamble as it is.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a can of ether starter fluid unhook the intake tubing and spray it while someone cranks it.If it starts and runs a few secs then it really is a fuel problem.If it won't start or sounds like a bag of nickles in a clothes dryer its got other problems.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

$1500 tops since it doesn't run. If you get it running, maybe $2k
Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
If it doesn't move under its own power, it's a parts car. "Just a fuel pump" is very rarely true.
True, the price dropped considerably when the "fuel pump" went out. Would have been more cost effective to fix it and sell it for more if that was the case.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Take a can of ether starter fluid unhook the intake tubing and spray it while someone cranks it.If it starts and runs a few secs then it really is a fuel problem.If it won't start or sounds like a bag of nickles in a clothes dryer its got other problems.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by roninofako
Not TOO badly priced, but I'd walk on it. Guy can't even tell you what gears it has. Which means he got it from someone else, and jumped into it. Now it's more headache for him, so he's selling it. You already know it doesn't run and drive. Might be some simple fixes, and it looks clean, but looks can be very deceiving. IF you decide to check it out, take it to a trustworthy mechanic.

Buying one already "fixed up" as you said has it's pros and cons. But I would say more cons than pros, as a majority of people go with the cheapest options available to get what they want. You are MUCH better off starting on the ground floor, and KNOWING what you're getting. My .02

Yes most buy the cheapest junk they can to do something sorry to say. Sad to say I'm not one of them just the opposite and buy the best then save the receipts for them then only to get a small return on the dollar.

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
If it doesn't move under its own power, it's a parts car. "Just a fuel pump" is very rarely true. If you can't test drive a vehicle for any reason, assume the worst, and set its value accordingly. XJs are awesome, but they're certainly not rare or hard to come by. No real reason to flush money on a stacked gamble, buying ANY used car is enough of a gamble as it is.

A parts car it is and the quality of the parts judge its worth.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6

This will tell you if that part is true and glad he brought it up.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ

A parts car it is and the quality of the parts judge its worth.

True, but if he doesn't currently own a Jeep in need of these parts, and is in the market for something to drive... a parts car has a value of $0.00 all day long.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:14 AM
CF Veteran

Fred i learned a lot of ticks off my step dad,Hes been a mechanic since the 70s an full of info like that.