XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Another sound system...

Old 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Another sound system...

Well looks like its time for me to upgrade my sound. I can not stand the stock crap. It looks like i will be be getting a Kenwood KDC-MP445U headunit. And i would like to upgrade everything else.

Here is one of my questions, should i upgrade my speakers first and get a sub later? or get the sub now and do the speakers later??

For speakers i heard Diamond Audio makes some good speakers... any comments on that? Depending on what happens i may get a amp for the speakers...

I was thinking Diamond Audio D3 D353 speakers...

For subs i have been looking at getting the Rockford Fosgate P2D410, heard it was a great sub. But im not sure what amp i should use. Suggestions?

Also this is probably a stupid question, but the deck will run all 6 speakers in the jeep without too much power loss right??

I dont want a system that can be heard from a mile away, just something to make my music sound good.

Last edited by Tankerblade; 12-23-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
Well looks like its time for me to upgrade my sound. I can not stand the stock crap. It looks like i will be be getting a Kenwood KDC-MP445U headunit. And i would like to upgrade everything else.

Here is one of my questions, should i upgrade my speakers first and get a sub later? or get the sub now and do the speakers later??

For speakers i heard Diamond Audio makes some good speakers... any comments on that? Depending on what happens i may get a amp for the speakers...

For subs i have been looking at getting the Rockford Fosgate P2D410, heard it was a great sub. But im not sure what amp i should use. Suggestions?

Also this is probably a stupid question, but the deck will run all 6 speakers in the jeep without too much power loss right??

I dont want a system that can be heard from a mile away, just something to make my music sound good.
Well I'm not extremely fond of kenwood's head units so I'd go with an Alpine if I were you. I'm running an Alpine IDAX305S and it's awesome!!

Next, Diamond Audio is a great little company but if you really don't want to go overboard on the price... Check out Pioneer's speakers. They sound great, have awesome bass response, and they don't cost a whole lot. I'm running kenwoods and they're great but I will upgrade them at some point....

As far as the Sub goes, Rockford is a great company!! I'm currently running 2 Rockford Fosgate P1412s in a sealed enclosure (they're going to a new ported one when I have the time to build it). Im currenty running them off of an MTX 282 amp (its underpowered). The subs are both 150 watts RMS and 300 Peak so I'll probably be moving up to a 600w or higher amp so I don't have to turn the gain all the way up.

As far as the amp you should be running goes.... I'd go with a 1000w amp and just run it at 3/4 power. That way the sub has plenty of power to work with. I'd also run the single P2 in a sealed enclosure because of the fact that it doesn't have another sub to accompany it.

In regards of the 6 speaker setup connected to the HU; I'd probably buy a small amp and run all of the speakers off of that so your Head Unit doesn't have too much of a power drain.

Awesome thread man! I work at a car audio place so I'm in love with conversations like this haha
Old 12-23-2010, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

1st. any head unit I bought, I made sure it had 3 pairs of RCA's out. 2nd. If you want really good quality sound, you need to power (amp) all speakers. I usausaly use a 5 channel amp. The other choice would be, three 2 channels amps. Or One 4 channel, plus a two channel for sub. Either way takes up a lot of space. So this is what I did.
I have two 5 1/4's (three way, full range) in the front doors, two 6x9's (three way, full range) in the rear hatch, One 10" sub in the rear pocket. All Rockford Fosgates. A 5 channel 1400 watt amp, under the rear seat. Giving me 250 watts to each corner speaker, and 400 watts going to the sub. Sound like a concert hall, and some serious volume, if I want too. But the head unit I used is a Pioneer premier DEH- 90HHD. It's ten years old now, and still worth $450-$500. In 1990 when it came out, It listed for $1800. It controls every thing, freq.'s to each speaker, time delay, Car type it's in. It's actually a sound processor, And has a built in Hard drive, that holds 160 hrs. of music. Any CD played in it, will be recorded to the hard drive, and stored. All looks like factory install, I painted the speaker grills to match the interior carpet. You can't tell any of it is there, by looking in the windows. Don't want to temp would be thieves. It did take me two days to install it. One day to run all the wire, next day to mount the hardware. But well worth it. JMO
Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport
Well I'm not extremely fond of kenwood's head units so I'd go with an Alpine if I were you. I'm running an Alpine IDAX305S and it's awesome!!

Next, Diamond Audio is a great little company but if you really don't want to go overboard on the price... Check out Pioneer's speakers. They sound great, have awesome bass response, and they don't cost a whole lot. I'm running kenwoods and they're great but I will upgrade them at some point....

As far as the Sub goes, Rockford is a great company!! I'm currently running 2 Rockford Fosgate P1412s in a sealed enclosure (they're going to a new ported one when I have the time to build it). Im currenty running them off of an MTX 282 amp (its underpowered). The subs are both 150 watts RMS and 300 Peak so I'll probably be moving up to a 600w or higher amp so I don't have to turn the gain all the way up.

As far as the amp you should be running goes.... I'd go with a 1000w amp and just run it at 3/4 power. That way the sub has plenty of power to work with. I'd also run the single P2 in a sealed enclosure because of the fact that it doesn't have another sub to accompany it.

In regards of the 6 speaker setup connected to the HU; I'd probably buy a small amp and run all of the speakers off of that so your Head Unit doesn't have too much of a power drain.

Awesome thread man! I work at a car audio place so I'm in love with conversations like this haha
Out of curiosity, why Alpine over Kenwood? a buddy has the same model and i absolutly love it...

Also what pioneer speakers would you reccomend?

If i stayed with stock speakers would the H/U be fine without an amp?

Last edited by Tankerblade; 12-23-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

As far as the amp you should be running goes.... I'd go with a 1000w amp and just run it at 3/4 power. That way the sub has plenty of power to work with. I'd also run the single P2 in a sealed enclosure because of the fact that it doesn't have another sub to accompany it. Look at the price, $1200, and their no discountuied.

Every car audio place, or electronics store I've been to. When I mention the Pieneer DEH-90HHD they look dumb founded. They don't seem to know about the (super) High head units. here's a site that will give you the specs. http://www.federalstereo.com/pidecdstplw1.html
Old 12-23-2010, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

Out of curiosity, why Alpine over Kenwood? a buddy has the same model and i absolutly love it...

Also what pioneer speakers would you reccomend?

If i stayed with stock speakers would the H/U be fine without an amp?
Well there's a few things that set Alpine apart from Kenwood. Alpine tends to have a higher build quality and better sound than most Kenwood HU's. Alpine's sound processors are far more advanced than Kenwood's. Also for example, if you took a look at a $200 Kenwood HU and a $200 Alpine HU you'd notice that the Kenwood would feel and look cheaper. I've seen plenty of both manufacturer's products and I'm far more impressed with Alpine.

As for the speakers, I would love to own these bad boys
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-A1374R.html
300w Peak RMS. They have the same amount of power handling as my Subwoofers! I'm not huge on 3 way speakers but I have a huge amount of faith in these ones!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Every car audio place, or electronics store I've been to. When I mention the Pieneer DEH-90HHD they look dumb founded. They don't seem to know about the (super) High head units. here's a site that will give you the specs. http://www.federalstereo.com/pidecdstplw1.html
LOL I was dumbfounded myself! I don't see too many HIGH end head units so that was awesome to check out . I'd definitely get one looking at the specs, but for the money; I'll stay with what I got haha
Old 12-23-2010, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

oh, and about leaving your stock speakers and connecting them to the HU.... You'd probably be fine because I doubt the stock system is that powerful. The new head unit's sound processor will make the speakers sound better too.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Ya high end heads are out of the question, your talkin to a high school kid, that doesnt have money nor care about the most amzing beautiful crisp and clear music in the world. Something that just sounds good and fairly cheap haha no offense to anyone..
Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Ya high end heads are out of the question, your talkin to a high school kid, that doesnt have money nor care about the most amzing beautiful crisp and clear music in the world. Something that just sounds good and fairly cheap haha no offense to anyone..
Agreed lol I'm in highschool too and I'm running a sound system on a "budget" lol You'll definitely like the pioneer speakers for the money though
Old 12-23-2010, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

i'll look into it! thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I personally have had a pretty high end system in my old XJ, but this time around went more on a budget, and got basic pioneer 2way speakers ($25 a set) front and back, Infinity 1252 sub in a sealed box ($30) and box was a leftover I had, and a Kicker 300.1 amp ($45) 4G wiring kit ($20) and right now a Pyle 5" touchscreen DVD HU mostly for the bluetooth ($120) Everything was new except for the amp, and it sounds pretty for about $250 total, eventhough the speakers aren't pre-amped..
By no means is this compititon audio, but that single sub and amp hit awesome and I was impressed. Speakers and HU are just good for the price.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bmrrwolfe
I personally have had a pretty high end system in my old XJ, but this time around went more on a budget, and got basic pioneer 2way speakers ($25 a set) front and back, Infinity 1252 sub in a sealed box ($30) and box was a leftover I had, and a Kicker 300.1 amp ($45) 4G wiring kit ($20) and right now a Pyle 5" touchscreen DVD HU mostly for the bluetooth ($120) Everything was new except for the amp, and it sounds pretty for about $250 total, eventhough the speakers aren't pre-amped..
By no means is this compititon audio, but that single sub and amp hit awesome and I was impressed. Speakers and HU are just good for the price.
Not too bad how's the pyle HU? I have heard some mixed reviews about them lol. For my system I spent $50 for 1 rockford P1, the enclosure, and the mtx amp (because I bought it off a friend who's car had just thrown a rod ). I spent another $80 to get a second P1, Spent $80 in total on my speakers, another $40 for my sets of tweeters, and spent about $325 on my HU. So it all was about $575 in total and my parents helped me out with it because they bought me my HU for my birthday thank god!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I have no complaints with my kenwood, you can come over and actually see if you like it by messin with it, I love my pioneer speakers as long as you arent blasting them. I can fab up a cubby box for you for like a 10, or a box like mine for a couple subs. As for which one first, the subs will cover the crap noise but you cant really hear your music, speakers first imo.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Not too bad how's the pyle HU? I have heard some mixed reviews about them lol. For my system I spent $50 for 1 rockford P1, the enclosure, and the mtx amp (because I bought it off a friend who's car had just thrown a rod ). I spent another $80 to get a second P1, Spent $80 in total on my speakers, another $40 for my sets of tweeters, and spent about $325 on my HU. So it all was about $575 in total and my parents helped me out with it because they bought me my HU for my birthday thank god!
Overall for the price I like it.
I mainly got it because I had a Panasonic 7" flip up in my old XJ and loved all the features, and the wow factor, so I figured this was similar, but a lot cheaper. Overall its good for the price, does not have a IPOD control through the screen like the panasonic had just a normal aux in, and it does not have any advanced controls of freq. or sub controls which I can live without but the worst part is the background is just an option of 10 solid colors... I wish there was a way to program a picture or some kind of design but yet to figure it out..
Anyone have any ideas on how I could get some software loaded onto it or something similar??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another sound system...