advise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Red face advise?

new member seeking wisdom
I just joined up a few days ago. I am a dodge/jeep man. I drive a 97 grand cherokee laredo with a 4.0.
I would like to install a small lift and get some bigger tires. I have been looking at lift kits in jc whitney and on ebay. I really don't know which one to go with because they are so vague in description. I do need/want new shocks also.
So with a small 2 or 3" lift do i need bigger shocks? What size tires can i run safely? Where can i get some good tires for the best price? i travel so i cant go to aggressive but i like to trail ride also.
I like dean/ kelly and coopers because they are a little cheaper and still decent. do any of you have any advise?
Also as far as cheap performance add ons , does the tornado you can get through jc whitney work? how bout the magnetic thing you can get to put on your fuel line? whats the cheapest way to build/buy a cold air intake?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

as far as cheap performance mods, bore your throttle body over and throw an apn header on there, you'll be suprised at the difference. Can go even further with neon injectors, a 99+ intake, or even a nice cam. Not sure why so many people think there's not much you can do to beef up a 4.0?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Stay away from the Tornado and any clamp on magnets for the fuel line, they do nothing but cost you money. A cold air intake will help, a fresh tune up will help, but those infomercial gimmicks will not do any good. If you wanr any kind of real horsepower increase, think about building a stroker 4.7 with higher compression and a more aggressive cam.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 PM

cheap air intake would be a spectre high flow filter. Very similar to a k&n for like $26 instead of 50+ shipping. they are found at autozone. For tires look into general grabber at2 they look pretty aggresive and they handle well in all terrains that i have tried (slight snow in ga, mud, gravel roads and of course street. once again similar to bfgs and 3/4s the price or less usually.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

I would do a 3" all u need is new coils and shackles if u plan in wheeling it I would get longer shocks for better articulation. Don't need them right away. And some sway bar disconnects for the front. Toss the rear one in the trash or scrap it. I would use the stock rims and 31x10.5 goodyears found at wallmart. For mods intake throtle body and header as posted. If not enuf. MSD coil and wires from Summit. And E3 spark plugs by far best cheep mod I have dune!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 AM

ok no the the shackles its a grand so it has coils all around. And no to the walmart goodyears if your talking about those all terrains. They are only made for walmart and i have read plenty negative about them.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the advise. I travel for work in my cherokee so I can't go to extremes like you guys. My budget is not very fat right now either.
I will probably go with spacers to get the max lift possible without costing a bundle. I think I may need shocks also so I want a kit with shocks as well. I just don't know which kit to go with. I looked on Jc whitney and on ebay. The descriptions are so vague I really don't know which one to get. I definetly will not buy chinese stuff either. Can one of you knowledgable folks look around for me and maby send me a link or something to a good affordable kit?
As far as performance I like the ideas suggested but again travelling and budget prevent the costly ones. Someone mentioned boring my throttle body , I'm not sure what is meant by this can someone send me a link? I will go back to a cold air intake already and may buy a header. I have a fresh tune up already.
I am looking into buying work van for traveling so I can do more with my jeep.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Oh and why does my jeep not want to shift out of second sometimes?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Not sure about the shifting I would pull off the pan and change the filter. Might be gummed up. And shackles. Sorry use to my xjs never owned a grand. I can't send a link but the throttle body thing is that at the inlet or top its 62mm I think then it reduces as it goes down into the intake manifold witch reduces flow. So if u make it the same diameter it increases MPG or power depending on how u drive. As for a spacer lift. There just poly and that I know of all the same. I buy all my stuff from Rough Country. They have never wronged me and I have beat the heck out of there stuff. Now the goodyears I have never heard anything bad about them. Just cause there sold at walmart dosnt mean anything. My old spice deodorant works the same no matter were I buy it from!!!! Get what I'm saying? Now dismount off ur high horse before u fall. Its a long ego drop to the ground. Lol sorry