98xj remote locking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 / 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L / 2.5L TD
Default 98xj remote locking?

Hi - I checked the search function, but all remote locking references are mostly to do with wiring issues. The question I have is.. do you think that my 1998 XJ limited would have factory fitted remote central locking?.

I bought the jeep with only a single key, no spare, and no remote control fobs. Its the usual limited spec, electric seats, electric everything, cruise, aircon, etc. The remote sensor in my 93 is really visible, but theres nothing obvious in the 98. Guess its integrated into the overhead consol?.

If you reckon I have it, what would be the best way to get it to work?. Would I be able to get a universal remote, or do I need to visit a Chrysler garage (right after I visit the bank and arrange the loan Im going to need to pay off their service dept!). Included some pics of my overhead consol, incase it helps.. thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails 98xj remote locking?-image7073.jpg   98xj remote locking?-image7075.jpg   98xj remote locking?-image7076.jpg   98xj remote locking?-image7078.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I don't know how you would know if you had keyless entry. I was lucky enough that the window sticker was still with mine, which had keyless entry listed.

I can tell you this though. You can't use a universal transmitter, and you will have to go to the Chrysler dealership to get it programmed if you buy one. I bought 2 on ebay that were listed to work with my vehicle, that did not. The ones I was sold were for a ZJ of the same year. I can post the Chrysler p/n of the key fob you'll need when I get home from work.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

If you have functional power locks - where all locks actuate at the press of the driver or passenger door lock switch - then following unit is probably in there but this needs to be confirmed. If there is a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) receiver in your '98XJ then it would be mounted in the overhead console housing on the headliner. If you want to view/confirm that you have one in there then remove six screws that secure the housing to the bezel. I don't think you need to go to the stealership if you want to obtain/program remote transmitter fobs. The RKE receiver retains the vehicle access code(s) in non-volatile memory for as many as four transmitter fobs. To program the RKE transmitter access code into the RKE receiver requires the use of a DRB scan tool (and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual). A good audio/remote shop should have all the required products/tools and will likely be able to set you up for much less than a dealership.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 PM

If you have functional power locks - where all locks actuate at the press of the driver or passenger door lock switch - then following unit is probably in there but this needs to be confirmed. If there is a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) receiver in your '98XJ then it would be mounted in the overhead console housing on the headliner. If you want to view/confirm that you have one in there then remove six screws that secure the housing to the bezel. I don't think you need to go to the stealership if you want to obtain/program remote transmitter fobs. The RKE receiver retains the vehicle access code(s) in non-volatile memory for as many as four transmitter fobs. To program the RKE transmitter access code into the RKE receiver requires the use of a DRB scan tool (and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual). A good audio/remote shop should have all the required products/tools and will likely be able to set you up for much less than a dealership.
I don't know how you would know if you had keyless entry. I was lucky enough that the window sticker was still with mine, which had keyless entry listed.

I can tell you this though. You can't use a universal transmitter, and you will have to go to the Chrysler dealership to get it programmed if you buy one. I bought 2 on ebay that were listed to work with my vehicle, that did not. The ones I was sold were for a ZJ of the same year. I can post the Chrysler p/n of the key fob you'll need when I get home from work.
Awesome advice guys - now Ive got a direction to head in. Ive said it before, and I'll say it again.. this is def the best informed and most helpful jeep forum on the net!. Thanks guys.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U Here's the site to get the org. build sheet. Just fill it out, asking for the org. build sheet. about 2-3 days to get reply. If it's a limited, odds are you have remote entry. But the key fobs are about $80-$90 apeice. And you have to go to a dealer to get one. And they need to be programed.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U Here's the site to get the org. build sheet. Just fill it out, asking for the org. build sheet. about 2-3 days to get reply. If it's a limited, odds are you have remote entry. But the key fobs are about $80-$90 apeice. And you have to go to a dealer to get one. And they need to be programed.
Appreciate you taking the time to get that link for me - I'll check it out, and will leave feedback on how it goes. Thanx "91"!.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by jeep93
Appreciate you taking the time to get that link for me - I'll check it out, and will leave feedback on how it goes. Thanx "91"!.
No problem, had the site on my favorites. But org. build sheets are only kept for 20 years. you have a couple of years. Here's another handy site. they have OEM Mopar-Jeep parts catalogs in PDF format. Down load a copy for future ref. http://www.xjjeeps.com/tech_referenc...section=2&ID=0
Old 03-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

You CAN get fobs on ebay cheaper, just make sure you get the right one