XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

2012 Laredo X

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2012 Laredo X

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm seriously thinking of buying a new 2012 Jeep Cherokee Laredo X this summer.

I have a question though, is there any response lag when you hit the gas pedal?? Right now I have a Mazda CX-7 turbo, and when you floor the pedal there's a half a second lag time before the fuel injector kicks in.

I really hate this and if I had known (or payed closer attention) during the test drive I wouldnt have bought my Mazda.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Esco
Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm seriously thinking of buying a new 2012 Jeep Cherokee Laredo X this summer.

I have a question though, is there any response lag when you hit the gas pedal?? Right now I have a Mazda CX-7 turbo, and when you floor the pedal there's a half a second lag time before the fuel injector kicks in.

I really hate this and if I had known (or payed closer attention) during the test drive I wouldnt have bought my Mazda.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
so you are looking at a 2012 grand cherokee laredo. i have driven a 2011 and there was no lag. honestly go test drive one
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Registered Users

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

They don't make Cherokee's anymore.. Don't know much about the 2012 Grand Cherokee's.. Sorry.. What engine did you opt for? I think there were a few choices..

and of course WELCOME TO CF
Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by XJ Knight
They don't make Cherokee's anymore.. Don't know much about the 2012 Grand Cherokee's.. Sorry.. What engine did you opt for? I think there were a few choices..

and of course WELCOME TO CF
Thanks.

And yeah, I'm talking about the Grand Cherokee Laredo X. The engine I want is the Pentastar 3.6L V6 engine automatic.

I just hope it doesnt have that annoying lag that my Mazda had (and also my Nissan pathfinder I owned before that had it to some extent).

Its annoying because if you need to accelerate quickly (like say you're stuck on a railway crossing and a train is coming), it will lag for about .5 seconds and not respond at all.

Highly, highly annoying!!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered Users

Thanks.

And yeah, I'm talking about the Grand Cherokee Laredo X. The engine I want is the Pentastar 3.6L V6 engine automatic.

I just hope it doesnt have that annoying lag that my Mazda had, and also my Nissan pathfinder had before that to some extent.

Its annoying because if you need to accelerate quickly (like say you're stuck on a railway crossing and a train is coming), it will lag for about .5 seconds and not respond at all.

Highly, highly annoying!!
Everyone I've talk to with a 2012 JK(U) hasn't said anything about a problem with lag when hitting the gas.. So im gonna guess you should be OK.. Like others have said.. test drive one or two of them.. it's your best bet to find out for sure..
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

The throttle lag is because it has an electronic throttle instead of a cable linkage. Even worse than lag is a slow servo. My moms turbo Subaru has that, if I run it in first up to about 4000, build boost, then snap the throttle it accelerates about as hard as my Jeep from a standstill.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I think that's turbo lag your talking about...
Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

I don't know if a new grand cherokee has a responsive gas pedal or not but if not you could try one of these to fix it, but i don't see a listing for a 2012 model so that may be a problem.
http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
Old 02-02-2012, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Its a POS subaru. It has both. The throttle lag is bad enough that it has turbo-lag lag.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by XJ Knight
Everyone I've talk to with a 2012 JK(U) hasn't said anything about a problem with lag when hitting the gas.. So im gonna guess you should be OK.. Like others have said.. test drive one or two of them.. it's your best bet to find out for sure..
I plan on test driving one, its just that my nearest Cherokee dealer is 30 miles away, so I figured I'd ask on this forum first.

Originally Posted by mrfajita
The throttle lag is because it has an electronic throttle instead of a cable linkage. Even worse than lag is a slow servo. My moms turbo Subaru has that, if I run it in first up to about 4000, build boost, then snap the throttle it accelerates about as hard as my Jeep from a standstill
Yup, that sounds exactly like my Mazda. Its fricking dangerous as hell too, because if you have to pass another car the lag might just be the difference between accelerating out of trouble, or a car crash
Originally Posted by mrfajita
Its a POS subaru. It has both. The throttle lag is bad enough that it has turbo-lag lag
He he....you know it
Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Illuminator
I don't know if a new grand cherokee has a responsive gas pedal or not but if not you could try one of these to fix it, but i don't see a listing for a 2012 model so that may be a problem.
http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
Interesting!

But on their website they say it only works on Cherokees from 2007 to 2011. Nothing regarding 2012's
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Bingo...it's not the injectors. It's the turbo spooling up and kicking in. That's the lag youre talking about.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered Users

Interesting!

But on their website they say it only works on Cherokees from 2007 to 2011. Nothing regarding 2012's
The last cherokee was made in 2001..
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 PM

That's turbo lag...mixed with an electric gas pedal. So no a Cherokee won't do that.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by JMac202
Bingo...it's not the injectors. It's the turbo spooling up and kicking in. That's the lag youre talking about.

Originally Posted by Jeepineasy
That's turbo lag...mixed with an electric gas pedal. So no a Cherokee won't do that.
Some non-turbo cars have it also. Its like a fuel injector lag of some sort.
My old Nissan Pathfinder had the same problem, although it was a bit less noticable

Quick Reply: 2012 Laredo X