Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 Sport blower and power window problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 2000 Sport blower and power window problems

I have a 2000 Sport, and recently my blower stopped working on all settings but High. Can any one tell me how to narrow down the source of the problem?

Also my passenger side power window has stopped working from both the drivers side switch, as well as the passenger side switch. It will occasionally work intermittently. For example it may go down, but then getting it back up is real hit or miss....and when it does go back up, it is only in very short increments, like maybe an inch at a time each time the switch is pushed. Has anyone had similar experience who could tell whether this is a drivers side master switch issue? passenger side switch issue? or motor issue?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0
Default same as u

got same problem w/pass side have isolated it to the power on/off switch for windows (top left) famous for PIA/POS . one switch f**ks the whole system

Still working on it ---BTW I've ruled out broken wire
Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by belstaff
got same problem w/pass side have isolated it to the power on/off switch for windows (top left) famous for PIA/POS . one switch f**ks the whole system

Still working on it ---BTW I've ruled out broken wire
Since the drivers side master switch is where the window lock is located, does that mean replacing that master unit should resolve the problem? I was told that those were $200, but I'm seeing them new on Ebay for like $64, and it appears from the picture that it would just be a matter of transferring the various wire plug ins.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Since the drivers side master switch is where the window lock switch is located, does that mean that replacing that master switch would resolve the problem. I was told that those were $200, but I'm finding them new on Ebay for like $64, and it appears that it would just be amateur of transferring the various wire plug ins to the new one.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 PM

i heard the blower is just a relay or something...no biggie. apparently a pretty cheap and easy to replace part. Also, my blower only works on high but i just deal with it since i dont feel like fixing it at the moment...i just turn it on and off intermittantly until i get the right temps and when the temp starts to change in the jeep, i just turn the blower back on...You now have 3 settings. off, high, and if you leave the blower off but the center air-position **** on, you still get air but it comes through at different speeds as you drive at different speeds...If the blower is off but the center switch is aimed at your hands, feet, defrost, etc, you can still get a tiny bit of air, especially if going highway speeds haha
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 AM

Default Where?

Originally Posted by KentL
Since the drivers side master switch is where the window lock switch is located, does that mean that replacing that master switch would resolve the problem. I was told that those were $200, but I'm finding them new on Ebay for like $64, and it appears that it would just be amateur of transferring the various wire plug ins to the new one.
Yes, remove door panel, remove switch, plug,n,play
Could you give the location of where to find this master switch on e-bay, 60 bucks is salvage yard price for me,so at that price for a new part off e-bay would be worth effort

I also have a remote door locker the works intermittently,good days & bad days,
but I'm told that XJ's have their own personalities & are somewhat akin to the female of our species leaving you to whim of their desires at any given time.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Thanks for your input. I just Googled "2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport window switch" and one of the options that came up was the eBay listing. There are actually a couple of listing for the switch and they are both in the $60 range.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:40 PM

I've found that if you only have High working on your blower it means that your blower resistor has gone bad. It's about a $45 part at Advance Auto. Replacing the resistor itself is about a 5 minute job... ..however getting to it takes a while longer. The resistor is located behind the glove compartment. Remove the 4 screws along the bottom edge of the glove compartment and set it aside. To get to the resistor you also have to also remove the plastic cover that is under the glove compartment. First unscrew the screw that is holding the little floor light in place. Then there are three screws, in kind of difficult positions to get to, to drop that cover out of the way....and that's what takes the extra time...at least it did for me. But once you get the cover dropped down, it really is a simple exchange of a good resistor for the bad one. Two screws and unbuckling the wiring harness. I's really a fairly inexpensive and easy answer to solve the really annoying problem.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 AM

Check your driver's door window switches for bad solder connections. Easy to fix.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM

Thanks to all who responded, for your help. I've been able to solve both of my problems. As I mentioned before, the High only blower problem was resolved by replacing the blower resistor ($45)...and the passenger side window not working was fixed by replacing the drivers side master switch($62).