Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

welding rear diff 8.25

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default welding rear diff 8.25

i was woundering if anyone has welded the rear in the truck yet, and if you did is there anything that you have to do special to make it work or do you just go ahead and weld the spyders?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

A couple of my friends welded the rears in their xj's. Works great off road but the tires like to bark around corners on the street. I am giving serious thought to welding mine.

they just drained the oil out and welded it up. The only thing I would make sure to do is preheat the crap out of the spiders before you weld them up. Then you know you are getting good penetration. I have seen people weld bolts in there to, just to get more stuff in there i guess.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

clean them with brake clean. make sure all oil is gone so you dont get in to it weldin. i have never preheated my gears b4 but it really wouldnt hurt if your runnin a small welder. i have also seen ppl weld spiders to the carrier along with weldin together.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Originally Posted by risius01
clean them with brake clean. make sure all oil is gone so you dont get in to it weldin. i have never preheated my gears b4 but it really wouldnt hurt if your runnin a small welder. i have also seen ppl weld spiders to the carrier along with weldin together.
x2 ont the brake clean. But be careful welding the spiders to the carrier, because if any of the welds break your gonna have to buy a new carrier.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Year: 1995

Just be careful with welding around parts you've hit with brake cleaner. If there are any pockets of the brake cleaner left on or around the part and they get hit with the arc from a welder and argon, the tetrachloroethylene in the brake fluid will convert to phosgene, which is an extremely toxic (and sometimes fatal) gas if inhaled. Tasteless, colorless, and odorless, too.

Carb cleaner may be a better option since it doesn't use TCE, especially in the limited confines under your Jeep.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 AM

Year: 94

Originally Posted by halmotors
Just be careful with welding around parts you've hit with brake cleaner. If there are any pockets of the brake cleaner left on or around the part and they get hit with the arc from a welder and argon, the tetrachloroethylene in the brake fluid will convert to phosgene, which is an extremely toxic (and sometimes fatal) gas if inhaled. Tasteless, colorless, and odorless, too.

Carb cleaner may be a better option since it doesn't use TCE, especially in the limited confines under your Jeep.

there was a guy on pirate that was talkin bout that and had to go to the hospital.

if you use it also blow it out with compressed air and let it dry b4 you weld.

with the welding to the carrier i have never done it b4 but i would think if any welds were to break it will be breakin a lot to the point you will be startin over anyway.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 AM

thnksguys yea i had a dana 35 laying around my yard and i just welded tht up for some practice and i welded the spyders and i than welded them to the carrier too.and with the brake cleaner i did what yo said not to do and burnt it and i inhaled it nd started to throw up no lie that stuff is not good...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 AM

and the only thing that i might not weld the rear is because do not wantmy tires to wear alot quicker because i know people that hae dne it
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 94xj2door
thnksguys yea i had a dana 35 laying around my yard and i just welded tht up for some practice and i welded the spyders and i than welded them to the carrier too.and with the brake cleaner i did what yo said not to do and burnt it and i inhaled it nd started to throw up no lie that stuff is not good...
You need to go to the doctor, immediately. Phosgene is not something to mess around with. I'm not joking, go there now and make absolutely sure you're fine.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 PM

****! thanks man
Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

x2 on doctor because the poison gas may not effect you instantly. 3 DAYS FROM NOW YOU COULD HAVE ORGAN FAILURE!!! Not to be messed with.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

I broke my spider gears on the cross shaft in my dana 44. It got my carrier, ring... so I welded up my spider grears to the carrier and then shot air to it so the heat will not burn the bearings and then put a 2nd layer on it, It is still holding good but it does take the mpg down but for offroading i can do the same as 4x4 in just 2hi. I would put a lockright in it. If you dont like it you can take it back out and sell it.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:19 PM

I have almost 15K miles on my welded rear 8.25. I have done donuts, rollbacks, and all sorts of burnouts. I have had no problems and it makes a huge difference offroad.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 PM

yea i heard they are good offroad and stuff but does it really wear out your tires alot more or is it not that bad??...that is the only thing i am worrying about
Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 94xj2door
yea i heard they are good offroad and stuff but does it really wear out your tires alot more or is it not that bad??...that is the only thing i am worrying about
Have you gone to the doctor, yet?

Quick Reply: welding rear diff 8.25