Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Rear/side window Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rear/side window Mods

Has anyone found a good way to make the rear hatch and/or side windows, on their XJ's openable or removable? I was thinking of plexiglass with an easy bolt on option.

Just looking for a good way to improve air flow through the cabin of my 2000 2dr.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

I bet you could replace the side windows with a used window from another cherokee. Look at my pics. I dont know what they are called specifically, but I'm sure nearly the same size.

As for the back.. you would need to Fab. in a flip down tailgate from a truck that has that option. I know the full size bronco has that feature but would be too wide for the application.

If this tailgate swap happens, please take pics and post.
I best you would start a trend!! Hell.. we might even name it after you!!
Keep thinking and hope to see you around!

And welcome to CF.com
Old 06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6 Renix

You could get one off the roll down window kits like they have for the back windows in trucks. And get a jy door to fit it in.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

i've always wondered the same thing, i know 4 runner's back windows go down. blazer hatch windows flip up, and mini van side back windows "vent" ...xj's you gotta fab...i would love to see some pics if somebody has some
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

It has been covered a few times on other jeep websites,

You will need reinforce the hatch around the window area as it is a structural part of the body(have you ever tried to open your hatch or close it while flexed? its off by a few inches huh?)
Then you will need to determine whether or not you want it to flip up, or roll down

If it flips up then you need waterproof hinges and waterproof gasket for the glass
you will need a latch system and gas struts.

You will have to have a custom TEMPERED glass made with the holes pre drilled and defroster made in.

if you choose roll down You will have to do some heavy reinforcement and then start working on clearing out the hatch for the mechanism and again you need TEMPERED glass made for you,

If you are looking for a bolt on kit that anyone can do in there parking lot with a walmart tool set-well there is none....

But with money anything is possible!!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to make the side windows vent, making the rear roll down is too much work for my wal-mart tools. lol. I know Dodge put some manual and power venting rear side glass in the Caravan and Ford put them in the Windstar and Expedition. Bmw even did it in some of the coupe models. Now all I need to do is find a powered vent assembly that will not be a huge install disaster. This way down far on my list, I still armor and body work/paint to finish before I get to the tinker list.

96_Xj, have you seen it done or was it just talked about. Id love to see some pictures of this, goggle here I come.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by trs80

96_Xj, have you seen it done or was it just talked about. Id love to see some pictures of this, goggle here I come.
No i have not seen it done. It has just been talked about on about every 4x4 website out there haha.

The vent window thing sounds cool I am down to see how this turns out!!! Let us know if you need help!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 AM

Year: 1989

there was a local guy a few years back that modified the split glass windows from a 2dr xj so that itll fit in his 4dr! it was sick! took him a lot of work and i think the back half of the window was plexiglass. Im not to sure but I do remember him telling me about how difficult it was to put the split window portion into the 4dr window space and then having to replace the glass.

I really dont know if this even helps or if this is just me sharing a old jeep story. but look into taking the split windows from a 2dr model and cut and fit it into your 4dr. its worth a shot, and sorry if i dont really have anything better then that. it was a few years ago and i really dont even think that guy lives in my area anymore. I hope thatll help
Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

I'v been thinking about the same thing for my xj but heres my 2 cants. I have a Full size Bronco with the roll down back window. I hate this design for two reasons.

One, try to find a FS Bronco that doesn't have a rusted out tailgate. Unless it was stored inside or lives in a dry climate you won't find one. Correct me If i'm wrong but I think the newer xj's have steel hatches so this could be an issue.

Two, Because the glass and motor are in the tailgate it makes it really heavy. Sinse the Bronco tailgate opens down it's a pain to open and close. If you keep the hatch on the xj so it opens upwards then it wont be as big of a deal but you'l need stonger lifts to accomodate for the weight of the added motor, hardware, etc...

I think trs80 has the right idea with the side windows. Just my opinion.....
Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl

I was thinking about the same mod. The sides don't seem to be that difficult, get the manual opening levers for the vent windows, and have a glass place drill the holes for it, then get some gasket material.

The tailgate however is another story. I think about it every once in a while when I walk my dog. How I would make it so that the glass is removable. Nothing easy comes to mind.