Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

pvc roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default pvc roof rack

okay so heres my roof rack. about 30 bucks of material. 3/4in pvc.
It holds pretty strong, mostly for my camping gear. Just thought i would share the idea.
Attached Thumbnails pvc roof rack-544438_10151483412430612_511190611_23791904_128141101_n.jpg   pvc roof rack-img_20120407_160225.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Hmm interesting what made you choose PVC over EMT cond? the EMT is stronger and goes together the same way
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

hmmm......good luck with that
Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4litre

I can already see the future, your going to get a bunch of people telling you that this is a bad idea and wont work!

Don't listen to them, most of them don't know **** and just regurgitate the garbage they read somewhere else!

PVC is so much stronger than people give it credit it's mind boggling!

Here's a few examples.....

Here is a boat I made using a tarp and a PVC frame, all 3/4" 38 T's, 8 elbows and 90 feet of pipe

Name:  cec175ac.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  d69ed042.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  37eb9dce.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  103.8 KB

I posted my idea on another forum an was told it would never work, it survived a dozen float trips, even a section of class II rapids, and cost 40$

Next is a frame I made for my Bug Out Bag out of 1/2" PVC for my Alice pack, again the naysayers told me that it won't work, PVC is to brittle, when it breaks it splinters. Blah blah blah

Name:  6e51cd04.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  9ddde8c8.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  59.2 KB

It's lugged 45lb loads a few times with no indication that it will fail, even at high altitude if temps below freezing!

The reality is PVC is a wonderful and very versatile material that can be used in many many ways!

No! Your rack isn't as strong as a metal one, but it's probably perfect for the load you Envisioned if designed and built correctly!

So ignore the naysayers and their douche baggery, if people like them ran things there would literally never have been any innovation ever in the history of mankind!

Last edited by Gary Briggs; 04-08-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:04 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8L

To Gary Briggs and MossyXJ, Its too bad the "Real men of genius" aren't made anymore. I'm sure one would have been written about you two. I take my hat off for you both.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:15 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

It does have some flaws too, gets brittle in the cold is one I can assure you happens....
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin
It does have some flaws too, gets brittle in the cold is one I can assure you happens....
That is true, to an extent, it has to be really really cold for it to become brittle, and even then it's the impact strength that comes into question!

Spend a few minutes on a google search and see the hundreds of different things that can be made with PVC, it's phenomal material that is very strong, we use it at work in out robotic dairy systems, I made a iodine tank using 8" PVC that runs at a sustained 200 psi, it's much stronger than people give it credit!

Last edited by Gary Briggs; 04-09-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Klondike
To Gary Briggs and MossyXJ, Its too bad the "Real men of genius" aren't made anymore. I'm sure one would have been written about you two. I take my hat off for you both.
See this is what I'm talking about, hey fella at least I can't trim my fenders the correct way, or perhaps you were going for a "fancy cut"
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM

this isnt advanced fab. this is half a s s fab. take it off before it falls off and kills someone on the freeway. what a stupid idea
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 AM

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: i6

Gary, I think he may have been complimenting you when he said the thing about real men of genius, but maybe it was sarcasm? I think its a great idea, and if it works for you thats even better. Katowkalin, wtf are you talking about? Why would this fall off on the free way but a normal rack wont? Until you start posting something that is better, dont put others down. He isnt throwing two full sized spares up there, he is putting his camping gear up there. I dont care how much you take camping, its not going to be "too much" weight. I might make one until I can get one welded up this summer.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by joshamo
Gary, I think he may have been complimenting you when he said the thing about real men of genius, but maybe it was sarcasm? I think its a great idea, and if it works for you thats even better. Katowkalin, wtf are you talking about? Why would this fall off on the free way but a normal rack wont? Until you start posting something that is better, dont put others down. He isnt throwing two full sized spares up there, he is putting his camping gear up there. I dont care how much you take camping, its not going to be "too much" weight. I might make one until I can get one welded up this summer.
camping gear can weigh a **** ton. tell me this. why don't you see vendors out the selling a PVC racks? its half ***'d and can be dangerous. go ahead and build you PVC rack. looks ridiculous and I dont like to liable when something happens with the PVC.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 AM

Dude, stop. I've made a chair with pvc just for fun that held up just fine and I'm not a small guy. I think you just don't like the idea of home brew budget items. You're probably scared to get mud on your tires too. Vendors wouldn't sell a pvc rack because mall crawlers like you wouldn't buy it, and they wouldn't make any profit. Most people can make pvc racks if they want, a lot of us can't weld. Anyways, I don't like arguing over the internet, and especially with hard headed people like you who don't give anything a chance. So if you reply to this thread again, I won't reply to you. Have a good day man.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by joshamo
Dude, stop. I've made a chair with pvc just for fun that held up just fine and I'm not a small guy. I think you just don't like the idea of home brew budget items. You're probably scared to get mud on your tires too. Vendors wouldn't sell a pvc rack because mall crawlers like you wouldn't buy it, and they wouldn't make any profit. Most people can make pvc racks if they want, a lot of us can't weld. Anyways, I don't like arguing over the internet, and especially with hard headed people like you who don't give anything a chance. So if you reply to this thread again, I won't reply to you. Have a good day man.
How is this PVC advanced fabrication? More like red neck fab. I like the idea but doubt it will hold up. Joshamo pull your head out of your ***. Katowkalin had his view of it, which I kinda agree to and so do you.

I have wheeled with Katowkalin a couple times and his rig is far from half ***'d booty fab like this.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 AM

I'm not saying anything against him, but he doesn't need to be so rude about it. I rarely post on here, but I hate seeing low post count members being put down. I can tell he's a smart guy from posts I've seen of his, but I don't like how he acted. I apologize and hopefully no hard feelings.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 AM

None of you have seen this thing first hand, we are all speculating based on 2 crappy pics that really don't show us much!

He could have a stellar mounting system that is capable of handling the desired loads, now I've looked at some really poorly made crap on this forum, and watched you guys tell the creators of that crap how nice it looked!

The reason these two are calling it booty fab is because it's made from PVC, which clearly isnt typical.

All I'm saying is we don't have enough info yet

Quick Reply: pvc roof rack