Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Locking Center Consoles/Storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Locking Center Consoles/Storage

I have a 2001 Cherokee and planning on getting my CHL (Concealed Handgun License). I was wondering if anyone has mounted a handgun safe in their jeep? If so where did you put it to keep it out of the way? Or if anyone has found a locking Center Console for a 2001 XJ?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Engine: none other

what are you going to do with it if its locked up and put away? why no just carry that away if the time comes where you need to use the gun its conviently right there quick fast and in a hurry.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM

well there are places that you can't carry a handgun (well any gun for that matter) into like the postoffice, the place I work and so on. I was just wondering what other have done because I know all ya'll rednecks have guns...
Old 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: AMC 4.0L I6 H.O. 242ci (really a 244 being a 1992)

well... I just keep the NRA sticker on the back window of my XJ and it seems to do better than locks or aftermarket security systems, so give that one a shot (no pun indended)... I'm not extremely familiar with the 1997+ XJ's interior (even though my dad owned a 98, and an 01) so I don't know if you have it, but I already have a factory locking glove box. if you have that, you're good to go.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

I always just keep mine on me. You never know when its needed. X2 on the glove box. If you wanted just buy a single gun safe and mount it under the front seat or rear seat..
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0HO

I just saw a recent thread in the cherokee tech section about seat covers. They posted a pic of seat covers and it also showed a locking center console that I think was made by Tuffy. That was in a 84-96 tho. Dont know if that part of the console changed in the 2001 + years. You can try to look there. Sorry I dont know how to just post the link to that thread.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by Aggie2011
I have a 2001 Cherokee and planning on getting my CHL (Concealed Handgun License). I was wondering if anyone has mounted a handgun safe in their jeep? If so where did you put it to keep it out of the way? Or if anyone has found a locking Center Console for a 2001 XJ?
I'd look into a Tuffy product or bolt a locking steel box into the trunk of the XJ to safeguard your piece when you can't carry. Like a military ammo box or something similar.

I'm the one with the Tuffy locking center console mentioned above, but I don't know that they were ever offered for the '97- XJ. Tuffy also makes a full length center console for XJs that did not come with a factory console at all. As for the XJ glove box - it's one of the most insecure places in the world. I wouldn't put a gun there when I'm not in the vehicle.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Engine: 4.0 l6

You can buy a locking metal box from Cabela's and other places. I have the same problem-I don't want to leave a pistol in an easy access place when it's in the car!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

never leave a gun... in a box... that is obviously a LOCK box... in plan view.... thats asking to get broke into....maybe a small chain and lock... wrap around seat frame... lock the lock around triger guard..a. but if a crook sees a lock box and hes going to break into a car... trust me.. them cheap lock boxes wont stop them....and its just a HEY LOOK AT ME>>> I GOT SOMETHING OF VALUE IN HERE.... steel me steel me... :}
Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

get a small padded gun case, and put that in a lunch box(like the ones you give your 7th grader to take his lunch to school in, a soft case). noone will ever know you have a gun and it can be store safely under the seat
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hommersimpson
never leave a gun... in a box... that is obviously a LOCK box... in plan view.... thats asking to get broke into........ steel me steel me... :}
Who said anything about "plain view"?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l l6 power tech

just get a kel tec or diamondback 380 and carry it no one will ever know you have it trust me
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JeepCherokeeTV
well... I just keep the NRA sticker on the back window of my XJ and it seems to do better than locks or aftermarket security systems, so give that one a shot (no pun indended)... I'm not extremely familiar with the 1997+ XJ's interior (even though my dad owned a 98, and an 01) so I don't know if you have it, but I already have a factory locking glove box. if you have that, you're good to go.
The locking glovebox is a little bit of a joke. Yeah sure it might keep an average spur of the moment thief out but when my dads lock broke I was able to snap the box open with a flat head. I had to do it because both his and my wallets, IDs, my keys, and his registration were locked inside. I was actually able to repair the lock afterward though with no damage to the box.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

My point exactly.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM

Engine: 4.0 l6

Build your own locking box and it won't be a joke. Not sure why this isn't OBVIOUS but you won't have it in plain sight! Nor would it just be a box sitting around waiting to be taken! Obeying the law is the reason to have the license in the first place, everything else you do with that gun was your responsibility to begin with, license or no. If you get caught carrying that pistol in a place you're not supposed to, the penalites will be severe! Being a metal detectorist, I can tell you that you won't get many pistols past a guy with a Garrett wand. You can probably get by carrying it into places you shouldn't but why take the risk?

Quick Reply: Locking Center Consoles/Storage