Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

have a idea. for xj

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default have a idea. for xj

never really seen one and just thought of.

i know that if i get a roll cage i can install seat harness pretty east. i also know that if i get the screw with the circle on it i can add it also.

but my floors are pretty rusted and i wouldn't feel safe if i flipped over and the screw just didn't hold.

i would love a roll cage on the XJ but i use it as a DD and bearly go off roading and don't have the money or welder to install a roll cage.

so i though of a harness bar that goes on or near the b pillar.
something like this.

i don't really carry anybody in the back any ways as my sear are mostly folded so it wouldn't bother me

plus i think it would stiffen up the frame a bit.

if anybody that a fab could try something like this or make one i would be more then happpy to buy one or be a test dummy
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I have rustys roll bar.. doesnt require and weldign or anything.. and not really a roll cage but it makes me feel a little safer
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=ROLL

there are full bolt together roll cages too.. like this one- more $$$ though
http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-96.html
Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: Chevy 350

First of all, if you are wheeling in areas that you need a harness then you need a cage first. I would not want to be strapped in anything that has no overhead protection in a rollover.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 AM

understandable.

but i dont go to crazy place. i only have a 3in lift and stock everything else.

i was thinking of the harness bar mostly for looks. as i want to put some better seats in the jeep and was thinking off adding a 5pt harness.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Anything besides stock belts in a vehicle is a death trap. I see ricers do it all the time too, if your strapped into a 4 point than when you roll you will be stuck upside down with the weight of your jeep on your neck. Do it right or don't do t at all. A kid in town here died last year because he put a harness bar in his enduro car, rolled it, his head got jambed between the roof and top of the seat and he snapped his spine.

You can put new seats in, just use the stock style belts if your not caged.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Grayguy
Anything besides stock belts in a vehicle is a death trap. I see ricers do it all the time too, if your strapped into a 4 point than when you roll you will be stuck upside down with the weight of your jeep on your neck. Do it right or don't do t at all. A kid in town here died last year because he put a harness bar in his enduro car, rolled it, his head got jambed between the roof and top of the seat and he snapped his spine.

Your absolutely right. NHRA, WEROCK, NASCAR, ECORS all require 5/4 pt harnesses just because they look neat. No protection really. Or the fact that you cannot move from the seat at any angle unless in unclipped.
Either the kid's seat wasn't bolted properly or his straps were'nt tight. I've personally hung upside down. Looking up at the ground. down at the sky, because I was properly strapped by a 5/4 pt. A stock belt is to kep you seated in a COLLISION not a rollover.

Last edited by Black00XJ; 02-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Grayguy

Originally Posted by Black00XJ
Your absolutely right. NHRA, WEROCK, NASCAR, ECORS all require 5/4 pt harnesses just because they look neat. No protection really. Or the fact that you cannot move from the seat at any angle unless in unclipped.
Either the kid's seat wasn't bolted properly or his straps were'nt tight. I've personally hung upside down. Looking up at the ground. down at the sky, because I was properly strapped by a 5/4 pt. A stock belt is to kep you seated in a COLLISION not a rollover.

Those darn ricers!

On a serious note, though, I really don't see any point other than looks. But if all you are about are looks, go for it.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

if you arent thinking you might roll over, keep the stock seat belt. you can use the stock seatbelt with an aftermarket seat. You actually ARE safer in a 3pt seatbelt in normal, daily accidents, mostly because they have perfectly good protection for what might happen on the road and are much easier for yourself, and definitely other people to get undone if something happens
Old 02-11-2011, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Those all require cages also...there is a connection
Old 02-11-2011, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

hell every 3 years i have to update my belts in my drag car ( by the time recerts are done it just isn't worth it) i put harnesses in all my stuff just cuz i have them..next year the xj gets the silver ones...i like the fact that you don't bounce in the seat..but it limits your movement alot and can make seeing harder (i'm not the flexible young punk i was) so it really is a personal choice

Last edited by alloutperform; 02-11-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Member

maybe the straps were tight and the seat was bolted properly and the roof caved in because he had no cage and as you stated " you cannot move from the seat at any angle unless in unclipped." so he was crushed by a caved in roof
which is exactly grayguy's point that a harness with no cage is a death trap
Old 02-11-2011, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

circumstances play in huge....i know a guy that would be dead if he had his seat belt on in and accident he was in..because he was loose in the car he survived, to be honest i think that in a slow roll off a washout or something i would like a harness..i personnaly rolled in a s10 blazer 3 times and the driver and i walked away the roof barely caved in..it all depends on the situation..
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 98 4.0 swap

Originally Posted by alloutperform
circumstances play in huge....i know a guy that would be dead if he had his seat belt on in and accident he was in..because he was loose in the car he survived, to be honest i think that in a slow roll off a washout or something i would like a harness..i personnaly rolled in a s10 blazer 3 times and the driver and i walked away the roof barely caved in..it all depends on the situation..

my friends was letting another friend drive his cherokee at a gravel plant where they make really wide flat roads and he wasn't wearing his belt and when it rolled after a over correction he fell to drivers side then passenger side was completely crushed and he walked away. its definitely a circumstance deal. either waay mines getting caged. i don't take chances. its too easy to deal with the prob before it happens to risk death.