Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

building a bumper need some input

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default building a bumper need some input

so here is pictures of my bumper that i just started. so i want some input from you guys. and it is just tacked together right now and i need to make my d-ring mounts so be kind.
so here are my questions
1. im thinking of mounting lights on the sides of the winch to help break it up a but. maybe like 3-4" recessed in.
2. I dont know if i should gloss black it, flat black, texture black or hurculiner.
3. pre runner bar? with lights on top of the bumper also?

any other input would be awesome. thanks
Attached Thumbnails building a bumper need some input-imag0478.jpg   building a bumper need some input-imag0479.jpg   building a bumper need some input-imag0480.jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

It looks good so far!

recessed lights

no on the stinger...might look to god'e

opinions welcomed? with the fiarlead low...looks like u sunk the wnich under the front crossmember..looks clean..but depending on your terain and wheeling style it may kill your approach angle.My 2c. weld it up, coat it then go smack something with it.

nice work.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 AM

yeah i slamed the winch as far back as i could get it but it actually isnt as low as the lower support on the body. i am switching to synthetic once done. the bumper is not really any lower than other ones. and it doesnt stick out as far. and i dont want a stinger just a small arch piece in the front maybe 4" from the top no wider than the grill. what you think for coating?

Last edited by contessa1; 06-14-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Looks good! Check some powdercoating places, see if you can get a decent deal on it. If you've got a winch why would you need d rings? If you do add them though make sure they go all at LEAST one bolt past the stock bumper mounts. What thickness material did you use? Happy trails!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 AM

1/2 for the mounts 1/4 for the winch plate mount and 1/8 for the shell. D rings are always nice to have tho. And I can get a deal on powder. I'm just trying to figure out to do a bed liner or smooth finish?
Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

Recessed lights would look nice
You should add a simple grill guard in the middle
Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

MORE PICS PLEASE. i love your bumpers, they are exactly what ive been looking for im doing bumpers for my senior project in school and these ones are the closest to what i wanted, ive got a few Q's tho, what thickness steel did you use? and how much did the metal cost you? and do you have plans that you would be willing to share or sell to me?

nevermind the metal size question im an idiot haha

Last edited by wheelerboy12; 06-15-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: yo stupido
Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by wheelerboy12
MORE PICS PLEASE. i love your bumpers, they are exactly what ive been looking for im doing bumpers for my senior project in school and these ones are the closest to what i wanted, ive got a few Q's tho, what thickness steel did you use? and how much did the metal cost you? and do you have plans that you would be willing to share or sell to me?
First off read the posts. I just listed the material. I am a Welder by trade so most of the steel I had. But you could go buy 1 length (20') of 6x3/16 flat stock and with careful planing and lots of cutting build it with just that. Will run you about $80. You will have to double up and weld together for the body mounts though. If you live in wa you could come over and I could help you. I built what you see in about an hour and half minus the mounts.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by xjboy14
Recessed lights would look nice
You should add a simple grill guard in the middle
I think I'm going to do that. It would break up the big bumper lip. I will post pics when I get a hole saw. I'm thinking 3 or 4" lights. Not sure what brand though. This is my budget build on into the entire thing about 1200 including the jeep it self. Ha!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:06 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7

Just curious. I don't see a way to get into you winch. If something screws up on your winch, how do you get into it. I was thinking about building mine with a door in the top for access like on the front bumper of a firetruck.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
If you've got a winch why would you need d rings? If you do add them though make sure they go all at LEAST one bolt past the stock bumper mounts.
you want d-ring tabs so you can hook the winch cable back to your jeep when you use a ****** block for a 2 line pull.

also, there are many times you want to use a strap instead of your expensive winch.

just be sure to weld the d-ring tabs on both sides, and maybe use a reinforcement plate around the back side also.

make sure the bumper brackets go back along the frame past the steering box bolts. you can also use the front frame horn for another mounting point using a bracket.

good looking bumper tho.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 AM

Engine: 4.0L

I'm down in Oregon and already have someone helping me, but thanks for the offer, I just like your bumper and was wondering if you had a design or templates you would be willing to share with or sell to me.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by RichW
Just curious. I don't see a way to get into you winch. If something screws up on your winch, how do you get into it. I was thinking about building mine with a door in the top for access like on the front bumper of a firetruck.
If you winch screws up on a trail you got Odyssey any way. But if you want the clean look just weld in some big nuts and have the whole plate drop down
Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by caged
you want d-ring tabs so you can hook the winch cable back to your jeep when you use a ****** block for a 2 line pull.

also, there are many times you want to use a strap instead of your expensive winch.

just be sure to weld the d-ring tabs on both sides, and maybe use a reinforcement plate around the back side also.

make sure the bumper brackets go back along the frame past the steering box bolts. you can also use the front frame horn for another mounting point using a bracket.

good looking bumper tho.
Yup exactly. I got d ring mounts made at 8" long so I get a good contact with my 1/2 plate body mounts. Made buy a local guy super cheap under $20 per bracket. And my mounts to the body are like 15" long so I got good mounting. I even welded in a back plate with a nut on it for those big *** holes.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by wheelerboy12
I'm down in Oregon and already have someone helping me, but thanks for the offer, I just like your bumper and was wondering if you had a design or templates you would be willing to share with or sell to me.
It was kind of fly by my seat you know. Mine was wrecked too so it might be alittle off. I can tell you to start with the mounts. Use a paper temp, go back as far as you can and have them stick out a good 10" past the lower support. Then make your winch plate self it in, make sure the winch fits, I tacked mine on with the winch mounted and gave about a half inch for a little space at the top. Then put your top plate on and start marking and templating everything and go from there. Don't rush it and cut things on the large size and trim as needed. Pm me if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: building a bumper need some input