Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

If you WEREN'T going to buy an XJ, what would you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default If you WEREN'T going to buy an XJ, what would you?

I'm shopping for another XJ-sized SUV. My daily driver has been down since November (just moving slow on fixing it, it's not unreliable), and i've realized that when it's back up and running, a 400whp+ 25 year old FWD econobox, even if reliable, isn't really the greatest thing to daily drive 365 days a year in all weather.

I haul motors, parts, do junkyard runs, etc etc etc.

I'm 100% open to the idea of another XJ, but in the interest of mental masturbation and keeping things interesting (Afraid i'd get bored with two of them), what else did/would you guys consider if you weren't going to get an XJ?

So far, i have the following:

1) 1st gen Pathfinder. Seems that besides rust, these things are absolute cockroaches, and i like the way they look. Buddy had one in high school with the 5spd and i remember it being pretty fun.

2) 1st/2nd gen 4Runner. If i can find one that isn't rusty as hell. (I'm a toyota fanboi at heart)

3) J60/J80 Land Cruiser. See above.

4) Isuzu Trooper or Rodeo? Don't know much about these, but i know the early Troopers are supposedly indestructible.

I don't want a Grand Cherokee. I don't want an Explorer, Durango, or Blazer.

I DO want to spend in the $3k range, and i'm not concerned about having something that's refined or super comfortable (I have a high tolerance and i feel like our lifted Cherokee feels like a Cadillac). I'd prefer to have simple, reliable, cheap, and funky is cool. (Why i really like the 1st gen Pathfinders.)

This vehicle would have less than 10k miles put on it a year, probably more like 5k, as i will still be driving the uncontrollable FWD econobox 90% of the time during 3 seasons, and probably 50% of the time in the 4th season.

So.. what would YOU look at, considering the XJ as a benchmark?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I'd get a 4Runner.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:14 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Out of your list, 4 runner or LC...many of my other rides were toys, and I have 0 complaints, they are built to run, and run far. Had an 87 mini truck that I put over 500k on, and ran as strong as the day I got it when I sold it. Had a 87 Celica for a bit that had over 250k, and a 95 extended cab 4wd p/u that did many of the trails at Moab, bone stock with slightly bigger tires, that had 200k plus on it when I sold that, and it also ran strong. Some family members have had toys as well with zero complaints. Pretty strong track record if you ask me....
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Scout. Any generation except the last one that had square headlights.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
Good luck finding one, rust free for 3k....
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
Uhhhhhh...

Originally Posted by roninofako
Good luck finding one, rust free for 3k....

This.

How do they do at 80mph highway speeds?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

I was finding them about once a month a couple years ago in decent condition about 2 years ago for $3000 or less. Not as common as an XJ but not super rare either from my experience. I bought an XJ instead because my buddy had one.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Whereabouts in Cali are you? Cuz them things is like GOLD round these parts...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: INLINE 6

not on your list, but meets your needs; i would do a FS bronco. i was leaning that way before i got my recent XJ but couldn't find one that wasn't rusted bad or priced too high.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

SF area. I agree they're difficult to find and can expect at least a small amount of rust. I was looking for about 9 months for a Scout II and came across 2 I really liked enough to buy for less than $3000 but my budget couldn't afford it. By the time I got my $$$ in order my buddy had talked me into an XJ and it took just a few weeks to find several. I agree they're like gold but just not completely impossible to find if you look for a few months. Yeah I've seen cherry ones for $5000-$10000.

I still like the Scout but glad I got an XJ. If I had the Scout I would have been afraid to drive it.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I think the early pathfinders are coll as hell. But arn't all of them pretty much rusted into the earth by now ? I see one maybe once every few months around here. And the one I had briefly nearly split in half at the frame.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM

Ok well... let's say i'd need to get something by the end of the month and what i'm looking for can't be so thin on the ground that i'll be forced to wait a few months to go pick one up in the other corner of the US.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by helmut
I think the early pathfinders are coll as hell. But arn't all of them pretty much rusted into the earth by now ? I see one maybe once every few months around here. And the one I had briefly nearly split in half at the frame.

The rust seems to be the only real weak point that they have. They DO tend to rust even worse than the same year Toyotas, and that's impressive.

I believe that's going to be the only hard thing about them, is finding one that is rust free enough that 1) it will last me a few years and 2) i won't want to kill myself every time i work on it.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by helmut
There is a recall for pathfinders because of rust. The strut tower collapses and then the shaft to the steering gearbox gets to hold up all the weight until it breaks and you lose your steering.
I don't remember the specifics.
The pathfinder my brother has is a pos. exhaust leak at the header, the Bose radio sucks, half the cluster doesn't light up, eats gas (13-15mpg), shakes at 70, shifts to much like an underpowered truck. Leather is nice though. It's the P51 gen I think.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
There is a recall for pathfinders because of rust. The strut tower collapses and then the shaft to the steering gearbox gets to hold up all the weight until it breaks and you lose your steering.
I don't remember the specifics.
The pathfinder my brother has is a pos. exhaust leak at the header, the Bose radio sucks, half the cluster doesn't light up, eats gas (13-15mpg), shakes at 70, shifts to much like an underpowered truck. Leather is nice though. It's the P51 gen I think.
Yeah i'd be looking for a WD21, R50 only IF i found a ridiculous deal on one. I really only like the 1st gens.

Quick Reply: If you WEREN'T going to buy an XJ, what would you?