Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

I actually have a tj ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I actually have a tj ?

I have a 98 Tj and it only has 98k miles. Since I bought it I've dumped a lot of time and money giving it tlc. It's got all new suspension parts and I've put a new drivers side front axle and axle joints both sides and hub assemblies both sides and new calipers and pads and shoes and hardware and a tune up and radiator and water pump and header and tps and crank sensor and complete fluid flush and change throughout the whole jeep etc and now I have this awful whining screeching grind sound coming from somewhere upfront. It only starts once you take off it doesn't start when the jeep is sitting and idling. But when you come to a complete stop with the clutch in it goes away. Also it goes away after it warms up after about 3-4 miles down the road. But when you are slowing down or speeding up the sound doesn't slow down or speed up it stays constant. We have already ruled out the throw out bearing..... Help me figure it out I'm running out of idea and pieces to replace
Old 12-07-2011, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

have you check your drive shaft for play in the u -joints? sound can sound like it is coming from one place then be in another.... the other thing is... maybe draggin caliper?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Im sure you've checked but maybe the belt? That's all I can come up with
Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Brand new calipers ( started before I did the brake overhaul) and drive shaft has no play and the belt is new too.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

hm... the other thing that comes to mind is the alternator...
Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 PM

What makes it worse is I only bought this jeep in July and it's irritating that i have had to replace and fix all these things in 5 months. It's very detering
Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Idk maybe, when the hood is up it sounds like its coming from the bottom or the back of the motor. We've even jacked The rear end up and ran it through the gears to make sure it's not in the transfer/ trans/ or diff but it could be that it's not making a noise because its not under a load???
Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

Did you replace or turn the brake rotors?
IF its that bad, You might be able to jack it up and rotate the wheels and see
if you hear/feel it.

I know its aggrivating replacing all that stuff, but look at this, once you get this lined out
you should be good for a LOT of trouble free miles.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM

I've parked that jeep it's my daily driver normally and I'm leary that the noise is serious so I've been hesitant to drive it. I've replaced all the brake components at the wheels and checked the hubs and axle joints an all u joints to make sure they haven't gone bad again and they are all checking out to be ok. That's why I've come to a stand still.
And having to drive my xj which is killing me in mpg and $$ they are both lifted but the xj drinks gas like no tomorrow lol
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

did you check your alternator?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

Idler pulley bearing? Squirt a little oil on the bearing then see if the sound changes.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 AM

If it were the idler pulley or alternator it would be making the noise when you start the jeep and let it warm up and idle right? Because they would be moving with the belt when the motor starts. but it only starts when you start moving/rolling.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 AM

I can let it sit in the yard for 20 minutes running and warming up and as soon as I start moving that god awful sound starts and stays loud and a constant speed for 3-4 miles but if I come to a stop during that 3-4 period and hold in the clutch it goes away but as soon as I start again it starts again even at a slow roll it's loud and at a constant speed it doesn't differ in speed if u are going fast or slow
Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 AM

Year: 1996

What about your throw out bearing in the tranny? If its going bad you would here it make an awful noise when you let the clutch out. Press it back in and it goes away. Maybe when its warmed up its fine. Just a thought. I know this has happened to me. When it first starts to go bad its hard to pick it out as the culprit. Mine wasn't consistent at all. And like yours once it warmed up it went away. But this wasn't in a jeep. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 AM

They've said that because it stays constant and if the clutch is in while just drifting like going down a hill or something that the throw out bearing isn't the Culprit because the noise doesn't change speeds and we jacked it up in rear and ran through the gears and no noise either from rear diff or transfer or tranny. But it could have been silent because it wasn't under a load!?!? Even thought maybe it's the dust shield rubbing back of rotor but the speed of noise would have changed, I bent that back out of the way and that's not it either. It's like a belt whine with a metallic sound to it. And only while the jeep is in motion.