CJ5 Dash Throttle - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

CJ5 Dash Throttle

Old 11-03-2018, 08:49 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default CJ5 Dash Throttle

So I picked up a CJ5 *****ís Crawler, the PO installed dash throttle and honestly I donít like it. Itís a pain to start, and to keep going once out. Itís has the Dauntless V6 with MSD ignition, now with that it is still a carb intake. I was curious if I installed a EFI system would fix both my issues.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee

I think you mean it has a cable operated choke. The choke is an additional throttle butterfly blade that closes to reduce the air going in when the engine is cold and effectively richen the mixture. There are a couple types of choke - auto and manual. Auto chokes operate automatically. The electric type is the simplest. Hook it to a ignition fed power wire and it works. Very simple. The choke has no effect once the engine is warmed up. Close choke to start, let warm up, let choke out rest of time. The choke on my 79 Camaro was deleted years ago and hasn't affected how it runs. It sounds like your carb needs cleaning/tuning. Carburetors are a nuisance, but once sorted work just fine. Fuel injection is the best solution, but very involved. Lot of cost and effort to install. Would be simpler to sort the carb and enjoy the vehicle.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea View Post
I think you mean it has a cable operated choke. The choke is an additional throttle butterfly blade that closes to reduce the air going in when the engine is cold and effectively richen the mixture. There are a couple types of choke - auto and manual. Auto chokes operate automatically. The electric type is the simplest. Hook it to a ignition fed power wire and it works. Very simple. The choke has no effect once the engine is warmed up. Close choke to start, let warm up, let choke out rest of time. The choke on my 79 Camaro was deleted years ago and hasn't affected how it runs. It sounds like your carb needs cleaning/tuning. Carburetors are a nuisance, but once sorted work just fine. Fuel injection is the best solution, but very involved. Lot of cost and effort to install. Would be simpler to sort the carb and enjoy the vehicle.
Thatís what I thought at first but that is not the case. Itís like a lawnmower. The gas pedal is if you press further than where the hand throttle position is, the whole engine screams. Itís something you have to see really. All the way out is choke and all the way in is low idle. And a big reason I want to switch to EFI is cause where Iím located. Washington is non-stop hills and I would like constant fuel flow.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 PM

Update definitely is throttle.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

That is weird. Can you post up some pics of the carburetor with the air cleaner off of it?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

I googled it. Never heard of a throttle mounted on the dash. Turns out it is common enough in the rock crawling world. Basically an additional throttle lever to be operated by hand, independent of the gas pedal. Would still like to see some pics of the carb and the dash too.

The jeep should function normally with the hand throttle inactive. If you have issues starting it and keeping it running, then you have carb problems. A good rebuild of the carb should make a world of difference. Carburetors are a HEADACHE. But they are wicked simple, once you wrap your mind around how they work. If the jeep is a weekend toy, I wouldn't bother with EFI.